Dawes Sportif 2010

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AndyS_UK

Dawes Sportif 2010

Post by AndyS_UK »

I am currently looking for a bike suitable for light-weight touring, but don't want to spend much money. In the past I have ridden on a beat-up mountain bike, but one of my co-riders has taken the leap to a road bike so I figured it'd be sensible if I did the same. I've been looking 2nd hand but since I'm rather tall (6ft4) I've not had any luck.

I found the Dawes Sportif 2010 bikes heavily discounted at Winstanleys. The Sportif itself is £350 and the Sportif Comp is £450. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of these bikes, or other bikes I may consider. I found an encouraging review for the comp but not a word on the cheaper one.
531colin

Re: Dawes Sportif 2010

Post by 531colin »

I found this information....http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes2010/touring1/....such as it is, better still to find geometry/specs..
However, one bike seems to be a steel frame/fork, the other one is alu/carbon.
The cheaper one has a triple, the dearer one just a double. Dawes say the dearer one is more of a tourer.....can't work out what they are meant to be for, myself!
horizon

Post by horizon »

[quote="AndyS_UK"]heavily discounted at Winstanleys. {/quote]

As in less than half price. I would go for the comp and not hang around.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
theopr

Post by theopr »

Winstanleys seem to be doing some very good deals on bikes. I've never heard of them before. Are they kosher?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

theopr wrote:Winstanleys seem to be doing some very good deals on bikes. I've never heard of them before. Are they kosher?

They have been around for a good while that I know off. It is not unusual to find some dealers heavily discounting older stock that they have purchased at this time of year. You know end of line and old manufactures stock. Sizes can be a bit hit and miss.
So to the OP if it fits and you think it will do what you want get the one you want. It will be gone soon.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

The bikes look well underspecced for the RRP, so I'm not sure that even with discount they are brilliant value.

As Colin observes, it's not really clear what they are supposed to be; they are not tourers with that gearing.

This review agrees on both points... http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -10-39420/
horizon

Post by horizon »

Malaconotus wrote:The bikes look well underspecced for the RRP, so I'm not sure that even with discount they are brilliant value.

As Colin observes, it's not really clear what they are supposed to be; they are not tourers with that gearing.

This review agrees on both points... http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -10-39420/

You are right, the RRP was far too high and yes, they are examples of that mish mash of light touring/Audax/road that doesn't quite know what it is but serves a market that doesn't know quite what it wants. At that price though it fits the bill. The only real let down is the double and that might not disappoint everyone.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

horizon wrote:You are right, the RRP was far too high and yes, they are examples of that mish mash of light touring/Audax/road that doesn't quite know what it is but serves a market that doesn't know quite what it wants. At that price though it fits the bill. The only real let down is the double and that might not disappoint everyone.

At that price with a change of rear cluster (new chain required as well) to something like 11-28 would make it quite a good bike.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
horizon

Post by horizon »

Malaconotus wrote:This review agrees on both points... http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -10-39420/

I agree with the reviews, though don't forget that the discounted price takes care of the components. I would also prefer the steel frame and steel fork - robust even if heavy and I would have thought excellent for commuting. In fact I am wondering whether Dawes sneakily never intended this as anything but a commuter.

It's also worth noting that in 2010 this was Dawes' Audax bike at a brief time when Audax was out of fashion and Sportif was the up and coming mode hence the higher gearing. I might also add that the reviewer "doth protest too much" - if you look at what people are claiming on here to be their preferred choice for LEJOG, low gearing simply reminds people of their grandfathers - they would rather suffer than admit to having anything that could actually get them up the hills.
AndyS_UK

Post by AndyS_UK »

Thanks for all the replies, it's very helpful.

531colin wrote:I found this information....http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes2010/touring1/....such as it is, better still to find geometry/specs..
However, one bike seems to be a steel frame/fork, the other one is alu/carbon.
The cheaper one has a triple, the dearer one just a double. Dawes say the dearer one is more of a tourer.....can't work out what they are meant to be for, myself!

I hadn't found that brochure - so it seems the cheaper bike would be somewhat less suitable for touring.

Once a new cassette and chain have been added the comp would cost closer to £500, so that makes me wonder whether there is a better or more suitable alternative in that price range?
reubenslater

Post by reubenslater »

I recently bought one of these bikes, the comp version and am very happy with it. I swapped the cassette up to a 27 tooth as this is the largest usable with the short cage sora mech. I did not need to change the chain aswell as the one supplied is new and the correct length. The sportif is now prepped for a tour, madrid to marrakesh. I would not hesitate buying one especially for £450, even though the block was changed, at a cost of £27. A great bike, comfortable and well built.