Wide Fitting SPD shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tandem Man

Wide Fitting SPD shoes

Postby Tandem Man » 23 Jun 2011, 1:29pm

Without going into boring details the podiatrist has told me I need to wear wide fitting ( wide at the toes ) cycling shoes (SPD ).

Has anyone any recommendations for any such footwear.

Will be at the York Rally this weekend so will have a good look,a place to start would be handy though.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield

Swallow

Re: Wide Fitting SPD shoes

Postby Swallow » 23 Jun 2011, 3:19pm

I have pretty wide feet and had to shop around for a good fit. Finally chose a pair of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle not specifically wide fitting but have plenty of room for me. Also the velcro fastening gives good adjustment.
'Kernow bys Vyken'

Rusty Spanner

Postby Rusty Spanner » 28 Jun 2011, 8:48pm

I have very wide feet, more like hooves really :)

Have found that North Wave Missions fit very well, as do some of the Shimano shoes which are advertised as having a wider toe box.

Have recently bought some Shimano MO77's which are proving to be very comfy. I do find that I need a size larger than normal in Shimano though.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 28 Jun 2011, 9:51pm

My feet are very wide across the toes and I have never found SPD compatible shoes that fit me well. Decathalon road shoes come the closest.

If money isn't a problem, Shimano will form-fit them to your foot, if you can find a shop with the equipment.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

PW

Postby PW » 28 Jun 2011, 11:39pm

Try Lidl cheapos next time they're in stock. Mine were too wide to use on a short wheelbase frame, the heels kept catching the chainstay. They're comfy and reasonably weather resistant.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 29 Jun 2011, 12:37am

PW wrote:Try Lidl cheapos next time they're in stock. Mine were too wide to use on a short wheelbase frame, the heels kept catching the chainstay. They're comfy and reasonably weather resistant.

+1, deffo, I've worn a pair for 3 years and they are still in excellent condition. Admittedly I went for 2 sizes bigger than actual (45 instead of 43) but they are very comfortable and I don't feel they are too big length wise but they certainly fit my 'paddles' nicely.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 29 Jun 2011, 12:42am

I found Mavic shoes were wide enough for me but I am just onthe wideside of normal. there are specific shoes that have a wide fit. northwave for example do some
NUKe

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 29 Jun 2011, 8:42am

Specialized MTB shoes are wide. I take a G fitting and I find both my BG Sport and Tahoe shoes to be the most comfortable shoes I have. I always find Shimano shoes to be too narrow for me.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Slidingpillar

Postby Slidingpillar » 29 Jun 2011, 9:19am

Grrr, I have the opposite problem - narrow feet. Cycling shoes are usually the only ones where I get a choice, often with normal shoes a retailer may have none. True width is C.
Trice Q
Longstaff Trike