What was the first 5-speed derailleur?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
531colin

Re: What was the first 5-speed derailleur?

Post by 531colin »

LollyKat wrote:I've seen a Trivelox which moved the sprockets rather than the chain - kept the chainline straight.

My parents had at least 2 tandems with Trivelox gears. I could even get them to work, on a good day!
I don't know if they were confined to tandems, due to the huge width of the thing (or even if the trivelox gear is why tandem rears are so wide). Eighth inch chain,3 sprockets which slid to engage top or bottom, the whole lot was as wide as a 5 speed eighth chain block would be.,
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

9494arnold wrote:
Or visit the National Cycle Museum!

Paul Arnold

..I hope your intentions are honourable! :wink:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Boys and girls, thankyou all so much for the info. The disraeli site has been a superb source of info, I've probably spent three hours on there so far reading all about the good, bad and ugly of derailleur gears from the 40s and 50s. Superb resource, how lucky we are to have sites like that, manned by 'anoraks' to aide our research!

I was particularly interested in the personal experiences of gearing systems posted on this thread, there's nothing quite like the memories of cyclists who were there, did it, and have the tee shirt :D

I've decided that my aim for the Bertrand shall be a four speed Benelux, and maybe even with a double-clanger should I ever ride it outside of Norfolk and encounter something called a "hill" (whatever that is!)

For the interim while I track down the Benelux bits I need, I have obtained a Resilion, all sparkly and unused, and thankfully complete with a cable and shifter. A three-speed 1/8" block from the Old Bicycle Company, and my fabulous LBS who still had half a chainstay clamp in stock! I'll have the other half made.

The bike will slowly come together over the next few months, and I'll be sure to post pics to check I've put together something suitably period looking.

Thanks for all your help, memories and pointers, I'm really grateful 8)
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

wearwell wrote:mine was a Cyclo Benelux 5 speed in about 1959, on an Elswick.

I've been reminded that this involved a 3/32" chain which was a bit progressive in those days. My mate had a crappy Raleigh "sports" bike with steel wheels, steel handlebars, 5 gears but with a 1/8" chain. Raleigh produced loads of rubbish even then, as well as just a few very nice bikes.