Reducing campsite fees

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tripwire

Re: Reducing campsite fees

Post by tripwire »

I've had fairly good luck finding discounted rates in Scotland. I suspect the fact that wildcamping is permitted here has forced sites to keep prices low for backpackers. Some sites don't advertise their discounts clearly, though, so it's always worth asking for a reduction if the tariff assumes you'll have a car or require electric hook-up.

manybikes wrote:Join the Caravan and Camping Club. Very reduced prices for backpackers (includes cyclists) AND they will always fit you in. You can still make full use of the (usually) very good facilities. I remember staying very close to London for £4.50 per night a few years ago - much better than the average of 16 Euros in Germany this year.

The Camping and Caravanning Club sites have been some of the best value ones I've used. Also, their wardens seem to understand the nature of cycle touring and hiking - they know you might have to change your plans and stay elsewhere, so don't require advance booking. They realise that if you arrive late after a tough day and the site's busy, you may not be able to press on, so don't turn you away. The Milarrocchy Bay site (Loch Lomond), even has a backpacker facility block, with an indoor kitchen/dining room and drying cupboards for damp clothes!

I haven't actually joined the club, but they allow non-member backpackers at a small increase to the tariff. If you're touring by yourself, you'd have to stay in club sites for about 20 nights per year to make the membership fee back. Membership is much better value for families who go caravanning - one £39 membership covers a whole family and gets you bigger savings too. Initially I found that a bit annoying - I wanted to join but felt like I was getting ripped off. Now I just accept that they offer a great deal for backpackers even if you're not a member.
irc

Post by irc »

700c wrote:It's also very common in North America to have "hiker/biker pitches" which are substantially cheaper than a usual pitch. I'd like to see the CTC make some inroads to this as well please

Usually the hiker/biker pitches are at State Parks or National Parks. Private campsites vary from bargain through fair value to OTT ripoff. In Great Falls Montana I was quoted $39 a night for 1 person/1tent. I declined and pitched after dark in a corner of the town park. The best camping experiences in towns were the town parks in Kansas small towns. Free camping for cyclists and often free showers and outdoor pools.

As for the UK, given that several cyclists can camp in the same space as one car and family tent it's only fair that each cyclist is charged less than a family pays. An excellent idea for a CTC campaign.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
tramponabike

Post by tramponabike »

irc wrote:As for the UK, given that several cyclists can camp in the same space as one car and family tent it's only fair that each cyclist is charged less than a family pays. An excellent idea for a CTC campaign.

I agree but it is complicated by the fact that there are stipulated regulation distances between tents (actualy units) on camp sites. Several tents in the space of one large tent would be likely to contravene those regs. The sites tend to use these to justify a charge per pitch then ignore them when they want to cram people in.
irc

Post by irc »

tramponabike wrote:
irc wrote:As for the UK, given that several cyclists can camp in the same space as one car and family tent it's only fair that each cyclist is charged less than a family pays. An excellent idea for a CTC campaign.

I agree but it is complicated by the fact that there are stipulated regulation distances between tents (actualy units) on camp sites. Several tents in the space of one large tent would be likely to contravene those regs. The sites tend to use these to justify a charge per pitch then ignore them when they want to cram people in.

You are joking I hope? I know this country is over regulated but a legal minimum spacing between tents? Is this a rumour spread by campsite owners or can anyone actually provide a link to these regs?

If campsites are that closely regulated then surely the CTC should be campaigning for the regs to include a requirement for a minimum number of closely spaced hiker biker sites on each campsite.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I found a document by the Isle of Wight environmental agency specifying a 6 metre gap between tents to prevent the spread of fire. It so said that vehicles were OK in the gaps.

The idea of a thread to build a good list of cyclist freindly sites is a good one. Perhaps the forum moderators could consider it, and suggest where its kept?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
tramponabike

Post by tramponabike »

irc wrote:You are joking I hope? I know this country is over regulated but a legal minimum spacing between tents? Is this a rumour spread by campsite owners or can anyone actually provide a link to these regs?

The EU recomendations are for a minimum of 3 meters, pref 4 meters between "units".

http://www.cfpa-e.eu/files/PDF/Guidelines/Ratified%20Guidelines/CFPA_E_Guideline_No_20_2009.pdf

Regulations vary between local authorities.
bigphil

Post by bigphil »

The New Forest camp sites offer 'backpacker rates' which are substantially cheaper when you turn up on foot or bike other than in a car. :D
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I was taking a group of hill walkers on a mini-expedition in the Lake District a few years ago (probably more than 10 years ago, now I think about it) - as this was a common occurrence I tried to negotiate a 'group' fee at a discount price and visited various campsites personally to speak to the owners/managers to explain what I was doing and if they could help me.

The campsite owner at Brotherswater explained to me the rule of the minimum distance between tents was because of fire regulations, however, if we weren't cooking we could occupy a certain area of one of his top fields, with less than the regulated distance between tents, and duly get a discount price. Not only did we agree to this, but the excellent on-site restaurant was used by a dozen hungry hikers in the evening and they also gained the benefit of the group choosing to stay at their site! Just about every site I visited in the Lakes were open to negotiation and very friendly - and I've been fortunate to encounter similar service whilst cycle-camping. There have been one or two sites I wouldn't visit again due to excessive fees in what I didn't consider to be good value, but perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones?

The campsite recommendation thread is a good idea!
irc

Post by irc »

tramponabike wrote:
irc wrote:You are joking I hope? I know this country is over regulated but a legal minimum spacing between tents? Is this a rumour spread by campsite owners or can anyone actually provide a link to these regs?

The EU recomendations are for a minimum of 3 meters, pref 4 meters between "units".

http://www.cfpa-e.eu/files/PDF/Guidelines/Ratified%20Guidelines/CFPA_E_Guideline_No_20_2009.pdf

Regulations vary between local authorities.

3 meters between tents? When it suits them perhaps?

Glastonbury-tents-001.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jun/28/glastonbury
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Thanks to Si, we now have a campsite review thread. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=52915

Great stuff! Get posting some recommendations

If this is well supported, perhaps it can be made a bit more sophisticated.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......