fitting new tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dale08

fitting new tyres

Post by Dale08 »

just fitted new tyres on my rockhopper ( conti city sport contact 26x1.6) these were the hardest i'v ever fitted :x
took me ages to fit the buggers, don't know if it's the rims or the tyres, if i need to take on off on the road
i'll have real probs
Cyclists Do It Silently
531colin

Re: fitting new tyres

Post by 531colin »

No you won't.

Watch the vid. here...http://www.spacycles.co.uk/
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

Did you change the inner tubes as well? if you use tubes for 2 inch wheels its very difficult to fit smaller tyres of say 1.5 inches it can take hours sometimes. Even if the tyres are in the bottom of the tubes range the tyres will be easier to fit if you use tubes that fit tyres at the top of their range.

Often narrower tyres can be harder than 2 inch tyres often I can fit these easily without levers.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Looked on Colins video on YouTube, clicked on 'RelatedVideos ' and a Bra fitting guide came up!!
:D Wasnt Colin though?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
531colin

Post by 531colin »

al_yrpal wrote:Looked on Colins video on YouTube, clicked on 'RelatedVideos ' and a Bra fitting guide came up!!
:D Wasnt Colin though?

Al

Bugger! Wasn't invited to fit that!
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

531colin wrote:No you won't.

Watch the vid. here...http://www.spacycles.co.uk/

Great video.
My Contis were so hard to fit that I wasn't going to touch them again unless really necessary.
Now I'm looking forward to changing them round.
Dale08

Post by Dale08 »

My god he makes that look easy :D mrsDale was going to film me and put it on youtube how to swear and stamp your feet :D
Cyclists Do It Silently
ruffstuffbob

Post by ruffstuffbob »

Hi, I had the same trouble fitting a marathon tyre the other day despite viewing Colin's video. A couple of "bikey" friends suggested I put a new tyre on and off the rim say three times without the tube before fitting it properly. This will, they said, stretch the rubber and make it easier, not sure whether they use levers or not. Also they said using talcum powder can help. Haven't tried this out yet so maybe someone could tell me if it really does work. Bob. J.
pal

Post by pal »

A VAR tyre lever is the solution which works for me -- it's saved me a lot of pain, and my neighbours from listening to a lot of loud swearing...
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

pal wrote:A VAR tyre lever is the solution which works for me -- it's saved me a lot of pain, and my neighbours from listening to a lot of loud swearing...

Yeah they look ideal for tight tyres. I had some that were insanely tight, even the squashing-down-into-the-rim-channel technique didn't make any difference, I wrecked two of those nylon tyre levers trying to get those b******s on :shock:
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

Nylon/plastic tyre levers have no use whatsoever - if a tyre can be fitted using them, it can be fitted using just one's fingers. If a tyre is tough to fit, then they just break in two and are about as much good as a handbrake on a canoe.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

xpc316e wrote:Nylon/plastic tyre levers have no use whatsoever - if a tyre can be fitted using them, it can be fitted using just one's fingers. If a tyre is tough to fit, then they just break in two and are about as much good as a handbrake on a canoe.

Easy to say but if you are a middle-aged female with the beginnings of arthritis in the thumbs it is a different story. The ordinary nylon tyre levers work fine for me, just to ease the last bit over. I have never broken one but the first and only time I tried a VAR lever (new)it snapped.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

xpc316e wrote:Nylon/plastic tyre levers have no use whatsoever - if a tyre can be fitted using them, it can be fitted using just one's fingers. If a tyre is tough to fit, then they just break in two and are about as much good as a handbrake on a canoe.

I can gerneally fit tyres without levers, Its getting them tyres off without that is the problem, and is a lot harder, and parktool nylon re-inforced plastic levers are perfect for this job. It's not always about brute force but sometimes a little assistance from a piece of platic is all that is needed
NUKe

Post by xpc316e »

What I meant was that you should go out and buy some metal tyre levers, rather than the nylon excuses. You're trying to persuade a steel wire bead over an aluminium rim with a nylon tyre lever - which one is going to give out first? Making tyre levers out of nylon is akin to making chocolate teapots.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
ronyrash

Post by ronyrash »

lolykat mentions athrites n the thumbs.i read in [dharma bums j.kerouac ]only yesterday of a zen lunatic who cured is arthries of many years by simply standing on his head for a few minuits a day.with the help of milk and honey.now at 69 i am having knee trouble so i will stand on my head a few minuits a day [no honey ,milk] and see what happens.
i find since i began using the reverse grip on the handle bars occasionally i no longer require gloves.if i get hand acke i grip the bars from under for a while and the acke goes away.its a little awkward at first but well worth getting used too.