Weeride child seats

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kernow-tourer

Weeride child seats

Post by kernow-tourer »

Does any body have any experiences with these bike seats? I really like the design but from the pictures it looks as though I will be unable to fit to my bike as the cables run along the top of the top tube where the seat bracket goes.

If not then what other front seats do people use?

Cheers

K-T
If it aint raining, it aint training!
essexman

Re: Weeride child seats

Post by essexman »

Hi,

There are many front mounted seats on the market. Have a look at the totcycle blog for some insights, but they tend to either clamp to the top tube, like the wee-ride or the stem like the hamax. I'm assuming you dont have drop bars, else front seats dont work.

It might be possible to re-run or protect your cables and still use a front seat.
I hate snow.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

I haven't tried the Weeride, but did use another front mounted seat, the Bobike Mini, when our daughter was small and have no complaints about the seat at all - the mounting system is a lot simpler than the Weeride.

However, while it was nice to have her in front in me so that I could keep an eye on her and she could look around, IMO front mounted seats have a few disadvantages. Firstly, your bike needs to have an upright riding position - you would have difficulty using the seat on a bike wth drop bars as you can't lean over your child far enough to reach them - I ended up fitting swept back 'North Road' bars. You also need to have your saddle low enough so that you can touch the floor while sitting on it as you can't really jump forward off the saddle when you stop. And you need to ride with your knees splayed out to the side to avoid hitting the seat with them when pedalling. The resulting riding position meant that, for me at least, anything more than short rides were out of the question.
james01

Post by james01 »

I agree with spark303. They're OK for a local runabout,and they're obviously much more sociable. But the rear-mounted designs are much better for serious use.
BikeNut

Post by BikeNut »

The cables dont get touched as the bar is hollow underneath.
It is a very clever bar design which is why the seat sells so well.
It is the only seat that attaches between the seat post and the headset, and doesnt touch the handlebars.
And it doesnt clamp to the top tube like the otehr blogger sais. It doesnt touch the tube which is why it fits to mena and womens.
So the kids seat is in the middle and not the front, unlike Bobike etc

I agree with the other bloggers that front seats are for local rides, school runs, guess 10 miles and less.

Long rides would be uncomfortable.

Weeride is the best front seat which is why it is the only one stocked by most stores.