Bike Maintenance stand

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
scotsmanincumbria

Bike Maintenance stand

Post by scotsmanincumbria »

If the Maintenance stand is/wil be any good.
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID- ... date=22835
http://scotsmanincumbria.blogspot.com
pete75

Re: Bike Maintenance stand

Post by pete75 »

I bought one of those last year. It's sturdy and with four legs and feet very stable and it also folds quite small if you want to store it in a small space. You get an adjustable arm to hold the forks and bars straight which is handy at times.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Mine is fine.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Sorry to report that my one has proven to be rubbish. None of the clamps in my experience tighten up enough to grip the bike securely.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

hondated wrote:Sorry to report that my one has proven to be rubbish. None of the clamps in my experience tighten up enough to grip the bike securely.

Or you're not tightening them properly :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Benethi

Post by Benethi »

How small is it folded up?
I'm very tempted to go get one of these next week, but my nearest Lidl is about 10 miles away. Will I easily be able to strap it onto my bike rack or get it into a pannier?

Ta :)
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
:)
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

Get there early, they'll all be gone within an hour of opening.
_________
LEJoG slug
scotsmanincumbria

Post by scotsmanincumbria »

Thanks for all the replies. I will get one on Thursday, at £30.00 it is not that expensive.

s1965c wrote:Get there early, they'll all be gone within an hour of opening.

I will be there for it opening.
http://scotsmanincumbria.blogspot.com
Benethi

Post by Benethi »

s1965c wrote:Get there early, they'll all be gone within an hour of opening.

:(
Will have to see if I can get someone to pick one up for me...
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Benethi wrote:How small is it folded up?
I'm very tempted to go get one of these next week, but my nearest Lidl is about 10 miles away. Will I easily be able to strap it onto my bike rack or get it into a pannier?

Perfectly feasible to carry sideways on your rack - you'd have about 18 inches to 2 feet sticking out each side - so as long as you don't need to go through any narrow gaps you'll be ok. Weight isn't too much for a rear carrier.
Benethi

Post by Benethi »

pete75 wrote:

Perfectly feasible to carry sideways on your rack - you'd have about 18 inches to 2 feet sticking out each side - so as long as you don't need to go through any narrow gaps you'll be ok. Weight isn't too much for a rear carrier.

ok, cheers, if I can't get anyone to go in on Thursday morning for me I'll try and head over in the evening and hope for the best...unfortunately I'm working 8.00 till 19.00...
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

pete75 wrote:
Benethi wrote:Perfectly feasible to carry sideways on your rack - you'd have about 18 inches to 2 feet sticking out each side - so as long as you don't need to go through any narrow gaps you'll be ok.

I'm sure you must be being sarcastic ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbxwOrVSXpk
pete75

Post by pete75 »

No I'm not being sarcastic - I've carried stuff that wide in the past. As for that video what is the bloke on about 'With full-size cans on, I doubt she heard what I shouted at her as I passed.' - if he's overtaking it's up to him to keep clear and any responsibility for a collision would have been his.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Benethi wrote:
pete75 wrote:

ok, cheers, if I can't get anyone to go in on Thursday morning for me I'll try and head over in the evening and hope for the best...unfortunately I'm working 8.00 till 19.00...

Sometimes if you go in the night before - say 1/2 an hour before closing the staff have already put out next days special offers.
Kiltie12

Post by Kiltie12 »

Found this one on Amazon for £14.99. Not sure what it is like though :?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-59304-He ... 901&sr=8-3