Shorts and modesty

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roscco

Shorts and modesty

Post by roscco »

Hi,

Is there a brand / type of lycra cycling shorts that helps with 'modesty'? I currently wear padded cycing shorts with no underwear and as you can imagine.. theres not alot left to the imagination when walking about! I find underwear so uncomfortable when cycling, its not an option to wear it.

Now i know alot of people are comfortable with this but i am not, im not comfortable with people looking 'down there' or mainly if you go into a shop when there are young kids about. im just an average man btw!

I have been told there is a cycle short where the padding comes up higher at the front to help cover certain bits up. The person who told me this doesnt know where to get them.

Any helpful info on the is much appreciated.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Shorts and modesty

Post by Mick F »

I use Lusso shorts:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... USSZSHS220
Padding comes up the front ok.
Mick F. Cornwall
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

You could wear baggies over your lycra, either while you are riding or keep some in your bag for cafe stops etc.
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Dr.Doo

Post by Dr.Doo »

I wouldn't dream of inflicting my lycra/coolmax clad ass to the world and so wear regular shorts over my cycling shorts.
Andyw

Shorts and modesty

Post by Andyw »

+1 for the Lusso, but the bibshorts are more comfortable.
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

I`m def too old for this!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

When I'm out touring and viisting places, I simply put a pair of football shorts on over my lycra. Small, light, take up no space.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
horizon

Post by horizon »

rossco: you're wearing the wrong shorts. Go to a good bike shop and try on a few pairs (over your underwear!) and select a pair that covers your bits. They do vary quite a lot (and I'm not sure that price is the determining factor.) Lycra shorts are always going to look a bit daring but the front will look decent if you get the right pair. The other option as others have said is baggies of some sort (but I suspect that even those will vary as to where the padding stops and this can affect comfort).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

I'm not comfortable with lycra shorts either- which is why I wear the under short variety underneath some leggings, usually Ronhills or similar. I don't even like baring my legs never mind anything more daring :oops:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I also have some light weight running shorts that I keep in the wedge bag for shops cafes and so on. I did cut the mesh inners out so that they take up even less room.
I do often wear Altura or Decathlon cycling baggie shorts over the top of Lycra ones if I am staying close to town.
If do find it best to look for Lycra shorts that have toweling material at the front in the correct area.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

Just me that doesn't care then? The other day I walked out of the changing room after an open water swim in my (wet) boxers to get something from the car. My colleague said "youre just wearing boxers!" "Yes I know" I said and fetched whatever it was, he was horrified but really what's the problem?
dubscratcher

Post by dubscratcher »

I normally just stuff a pair of socks down the front and strut about with my fists on my hips and my head held high. :shock:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

dubscratcher wrote:I normally just stuff a pair of socks down the front and strut about with my fists on my hips and my head held high. :shock:

Many years ago, a friend of mine used to wear skin tight jeans and stuff socks down both legs

Then watch the funny looks!
roscco

Post by roscco »

Andyw wrote:+1 for the Lusso, but the bibshorts are more comfortable.

Thanks all for the info and tips peeps

How would the bibshorts differ in the crotch area?

Roscco
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

mill4six wrote:Just me that doesn't care then? The other day I walked out of the changing room after an open water swim in my (wet) boxers to get something from the car. My colleague said "youre just wearing boxers!" "Yes I know" I said and fetched whatever it was, he was horrified but really what's the problem?

I say, we're British old chap, we'll have none of this nonsense. Our modesty must be preserved at all costs!