Reviving Carradice Saddlebag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bikes4two

Reviving Carradice Saddlebag

Post by bikes4two »

I've just got my first Carradice - an old Nelson longflap. I know some relish the old look in their saddlebags, but I would like to revive mine a little, so what are good ways to restore a bit more 'blackness' to the cotton duck and is there some way of cleaning the light grey straps?

I've got a tin of Nikwax, some wax dressing used on Barbour jackets and the like, and black boot polish: would any/some of these do the trick? I wondered about mixing shoe dye in with the Nikwax/dressing and applying with a brush or cloth - what do you think. Any suggestions gratefully received - thanks.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
pete75

Re: Reviving Carradice Saddlebag

Post by pete75 »

Rewaxing with with wax cotton dressing usually restores the blackness. If you email Carradice they will send detailsof their recommended rewaxing method.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

OK Pete75, thanks for that and I've dropped them a line and await a response. I know they sell their own wax dressing etc., but I was interested to see what others might do. As you know, forum members are very inventive so I look forward to hearing more.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

When I mailed them they recommended their own, Barbour and Grangers.From experience Grangers gives good results.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Having used Barbour wax to revitalise Duck cotton in the past, it work fine. Id say use the wax and not the spray
Warm the wax stand the tin in hot water and warm the item to be waxed. Using arag dipped inthe wax and slowly work it into the cotton. The straps I'd say wipe with something such as white spirit to remove the old wax then feed, with one of the priority leather dressing. If you have a brooks saddle proofide would be excellent.
NUKe

Post by bikes4two »

Just to let you know that I have tried the following on my Carradice canvas bag
1. Using a hot air gun (low setting), I melted some Grangers wax dressing and black boot polish (about 6:1) in a tin until liquefied
2. Then using a small paint brush I applied this to the bag whilst at the same time playing the hot air from the gun over the canvas to ensure an even spread of the liquid.
3. By using the brush and air gun with care, I avoided getting any of the liquid on the straps
4. I left the bag for a few hours to naturally dry and then buffed the surface of the canvas with a clean cloth to remove any residue of the dressing, especially the black shoe polish residue.

The bag looks 'rejuvinated' but without the loss of that lovely 'used' look so characteristic of these bags.
Attachments
Carradice treatment-.jpg
ConradM

Post by ConradM »

Hi

Black Dubbin, cheap and softer than polish and partly dyes the colour back. If feeling flush Brooks Proofhide works too but that's a good idea on the straps anyway, to reduce black staining the (admittedly usually greying), leather. That classic dull, disreputable finish is only slightly ameliorated but the bag remains waterproof and supple, and you get the greasy patina reminiscent of London Underground vermin.
I use the shoe polishing brushes, spreading the dubbin very lightly to give a slight sheen and leave the bag in a plastic bag in the airing cupboard overnight, for the dubbin to soak and spread in... like Marmite on warm toast.
Oh and not too often - about 5 years between treatments. Nice n'sleazy :twisted: