Brachytherapy - prostate cancer and cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pscyclist

Brachytherapy - prostate cancer and cycling

Post by pscyclist »

Has anyone first hand experience of returning to cycling after brachytherapy (internal radiotherapy by seed implant) for prostate cancer?
I had this treatment on 1st August and I'm keen to know when and how to go about returning to my regular on and off road biking.
The medical advice I have had is encouraging but non-specific - when you feel like it and there is no risk of the seeds moving.
As detection and treatment of this disease has improved consderably in recent years I'm sure there must be a few people out there who have ridden this track before me. I would value your experience.
pscyclist

Re: Brachytherapy - prostate cancer and cycling

Post by pscyclist »

OK, three months on. I've been back to regular biking for a couple of weeks now. I'm lacking a bit of fitness and stamina but I'm building up the miles in both on the road and off to get that back again over the winter. If anybody finds themselves in a similar position and wants a bit more detail, PM me.
Oh, and the treatment is going fine.
alicej

Post by alicej »

That's great news! Fitness will come back probably quicker than you think.

Are there any good sites out there on prostate cancer which might have the odd cyclist on them? Just wondering since this didn't get any responses here and it is useful to share experiences when going through things like this.

People here often recommend finding a doctor/physio who cycles themselves for more accurate advice on cycling with health issues, but I've no idea how to find one. Should we maybe start a list?
pscyclist

Post by pscyclist »

I didn't manage to find anyone willing to share first hand experience. I tried cycling forums and contacted the Prostate Cancer Charity and a couple of other organisations directly. I got plenty of general advice but no direct info. Hence my post here (and on Bikeradar) for anyone who might need it in future.
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Sorry, meant to reply to this a couple of weeks ago but it slipped my mind.

I had a word with a consultant who does these procedures (I occasionally help out...) who stated that there is no danger of dislodging the seeds or doing any damage. Naturally though, due to the multiple puncture sites 'underneath', you may feel sore. Basically, cycle as you feel able.

Hopefully this will put anybody else's mind at ease.
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
broomie

Post by broomie »

I just had Brachytherapy 2 weeks ago and keen to get back on bike. What is odd about my condition is symptoms only developed in last 3 years - after bike ride - terrible prostatitis - real constant urgency to go for wee! Stop biking for 3 days all fine. I insisted eventually to have it looked at and they found the cancer.

Docs bit perplexed on the link but i hope it is that and not another issue!
Miked

Post by Miked »

I had Brachytherapy for Stage 1 prostate cancer last Friday (1 March 2019). The posts on this site are quite old in relation to this the subject of "How soon can I ride".
This has the advantage of people who have posted some time ago now having the experience behind them and can give good comment.
Procedures in medicine and treatment also advance quite quickly but from what I understand this Brachytherapy has been around a while - and hasn't changed much.

Oncologist (runner not a cyclist) and urologist (cyclist) both suggest 2 months off any bike saddle. Common sense says - stay off for the full treatment period to give it the best chance to kill the cancer cells.
Please can someone who has been through all of this shed some light on their experience regarding cycling after the procedure? Cheers - Mike
Miked

Post by Miked »

Hi
So I take it no-one has any answers?
Either that or this site isn't read too often.
It would be great if the people who posted in 2011 could give some 20/20 hindsight perspective and advice on the matter of
"How soon can I ride".
Cheers - MiKE
Looper

Post by Looper »

Just refreshing your inquiry to see if someone replies. I am on the same boat, had the seeds placed a couple of weeks back, I am wondering when it will be safe to bike again, if ever.