Best Cycle Service in Bristol

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cachao

Best Cycle Service in Bristol

Post by Cachao »

I've just finished LEJOG on my 1982/83 Claud Butler Dalesman and the back wheel is a bit buckled and the whole bike feels like it needs a good service.
Where is the best place in and around Bristol for me to get this done? I don't want some kid from a chain-store mucking about with my bike, I want someone who is well-experienced, especially in older bikes.
seventeezlad

Re: Best Cycle Service in Bristol

Post by seventeezlad »

How about the Mud Dock Cafe'... can't think of the street they're on, but it's pretty central in Bristol and I've heard good things.... Unless someone's heard otherwise...?
morzov

Post by morzov »

I haven't used Mud dock but I think they are more MTB orientated.I'd say a much better bet is Daniel Bool @ Bools cycles 0117 939 2746. Used him a lot on my Dawes tourer and always pleased with the service plus he gives maintenance talks to the Bristol CTC so probably a CTC discount available
jackg

Post by jackg »

Hillary Stone is in Bristol and may offer advice via a phone call.
I read good reviews about Psyclewerx in Redland, no direct experience.
Or Harveys Cycle Exchange in Henleaze? They don't have a web site, but they do sell round wheels.

I would DIY after a little burrowing on the web.
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

Cyclelife in stokes croft, Wood cycles in hanham, Fred Baker in cheltenham road, Bristol Bicycle workshop in Colston street. I would use any of these.
Theres also a guy who has a van outside temple meads quite often who comes to you to do the work. Not used him myself but probably more peace of mind than having your pride and joy in shop. http://www.cycletherapist.co.uk
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Russcoles wrote:Cyclelife in stokes croft

Thumbs up for Tim, he can work wonders with a spoke key. I lace my wheels but leave the black art of tensioning down to him as I haven't got the patience nor equipment to do it myself.
Cachao

Post by Cachao »

I've decided I'll go to Bools to true my wheel, and then ask if anything else needs doing. It was this page that settled it for me:
http://www.boolsbicycles.co.uk/vintage.htm

Thanks everyone.