Route from Dover to West London

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jamesofyorkshire

Route from Dover to West London

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

Any recommendations for a route cycling from the Dover area to Heathrow/Hounslow area of London? I'm only familiar with the A2 and A20 down that way.

I'm only trying to get from A to B......not touring around sightseeing. And preferably not too hilly as my bike will be loaded to the hilt....and I'm getting old!
gaz

Re: Route from Dover to West London

Post by gaz »

Previous London - Dover thread which includes some comments on the A2 / A20 albeit in the opposite direction.

How many days were you planning for the trip?

How many miles per day?

What accomodation are you using?

Do you want to go through central London or approach Heathrow/Hounslow from the South?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
jamesofyorkshire

I haven't planned anything but I figure it's about 100 miles so a couple of days should do it. I'm hauling camping gear but hopefully wont be using it. When I get some idea which way I'll be going, I can check out couchsurfing or warmshowers and see if I can get a bed for the night on the way through.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I've had a brief look at google maps "Walking" suggestions. About 80/85 miles for the A2/A20 Central London options, 100/110 miles for more southerly routes.

Whatever your route you'll have to climb out of Dover.

I'll put my thinking cap on over the next few days and see what detail I can come up with. I'll probably only get as far as the M25.
billynibbles
Location: Hounslow (to where the population of Southall drives every day with no apparent regard for cyclists)

Post by billynibbles »

If you decide on the 'via Central London option', quite a pleasant and traffic-light free method to go west is to pick up the south bank of the Thames towpath at Putney and follow it all the way to Kew Bridge at which point you cross to the other bank, turn left into Brentford High St, which begets Isleworth, and thence Hounslow, where the Bath Road leads to Heathrow. "Et Robert c'est ton oncle." You could even stay on the river bank till Twickenham Bridge - if you're clever you'll spot the way to avoid the stairs! Follow the A316 (cycle paths both sides mostly) in the direction of the M3, as the A316 skirts round the south side of the Hounslow area (Whitton)
National Standard Cycling Instructor. Brompton 16" folder, Dahon Matrix 26" folder, Ridgeback 700C Hybrid, Moulton De-Luxe 'doer-upper' project
jamesofyorkshire

Good stuff. I like the idea of following the Thames.

So it's looking like the A2 or or A20 though to at least the M25........
gaz

Post by gaz »

Dover to M25ish (Dartford) on A2 corridor.

The above route would be harder to navigate than following the A2 itself but will be much more lightly trafficked.

The A2 from Dover to Faversham is pretty much four lane dual carriageway 70mph. IMO mostly worth avoiding although there's an edge strip. The bulk of Dover traffic goes by the M20/A20 so volumes on this stretch aren't too bad.

The A2 from Faversham to Rainham is two lane single carriageway, some bits 60mph, less through towns and villages. Traffic is fairly constant.

Through Rainham, Gillingham, Chatham, Rochester and Strood its 30/40mph with sporadic cycle provision mostly on the Northern side of the carriageway and constant urban traffic volumes.

Do not use the A2 beyond Strood, 8 lane dual carriageway, 70mph with high speed entry/exit junctions. It's a Motorway by any other name. The adjacent cycleway is good. If you want an on road alternative the A226/B261 through Gravesend to Dartford is your best choice although this is extremely unpleasant through Swanscombe and Greenhithe.
Desbnet

Post by Desbnet »

Hi James,

Here is a route from Twickenham to Dover that we used a couple of years ago.
The majority of it (bar the first and last few miles) are on nice quiet coutry roads.
It also has the benefit of cutting through a gap in the North Downs, although there will be a bit of a climb heading out of Dover.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/390714

Hope this helps.
WaitForPete

Post by WaitForPete »

This is what Sustrans routes are for!

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/map?searchKey=Dover&searchType=search&Search=Find

There are a couple of options up to Canturbury then R1 is OK all the way in.
jamesofyorkshire

I ended up taking the A20 and A25 then cut north-west through Purley. Lots of lovely, noisy traffic all the way.........quite direct though......The Sustrans route would have put another day on my journey.
I like the look of the Twickenham route though. I might take that next time I head for the ferry. I came through Kingston and Twickenham to get to Hounslow.