Suggest a thingy to do this job.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Suggest a thingy to do this job.

Postby mattsccm » 3 Oct 2011, 10:15am

I need suggestons that are neater and more aesthetic than a jubilee clip. Cable ties are a touch too flexible.
I am running hydraulic disc levers from cable Ergos. They sit either side of the stem and give me bar top levers as well, replacing the cable operated ones I have. All works fine and dandy except for my method of securing the short bit of brake cable to the bars near the center. I use a V brake noodle to put the curve in and it needs clamping securely to the bars, road type , non oversize. A jubilee clip is fine but ugly. I have some plastic bar tape clips that are meant to replace the bit of tape you finish the tape off and they nearly work but do flex a bit and are bulky.
Does anyone have any inspiration? it's the sort of thing that has some obscure, non cycling use possibly. I have tried drope brake lever clamps, clamp on down tube gear lever mounts and all sorts of thing.
I now open the process of discovery to you lot.

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Suggest a thingy to do this job.

Postby Mick F » 3 Oct 2011, 10:25am

Different problem, but the same idea.

I fitted roller brakes to Barbarella and without the braze-on slots on the forks and rear chainstay, I got hold of some strip brass.

By bending accurately and drilling the ends, I was able to make a couple of clamps. I protected the frame with pieces of inner tube. The are tightened with BA nuts and bolts.
Clamp.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 3 Oct 2011, 10:32am

Tried that albeit with stainless. Moved on to try clamps that were meant as chain stay mounted gear cable stops. Obviously too small but I reckon they would do your job if you need to do another. Just looking for something nice really.

meic

Postby meic » 3 Oct 2011, 10:42am

There is a special type of band that comes with car CV joint gaiters and other automotive uses, made of stainless steel and nicer than jubilee clips.
I threw them away and use cable ties myself because they are much easier to fit and remove.
The bands join by a sort of crimping after engaging some teeth in corresponding holes..

The smaller end of the gaiter is 30mm but I think the clamp could get down to 1".
Yma o Hyd

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 3 Oct 2011, 11:25am

How about a top tube cable stop?
You'll want a shim for 26mm bars, or there is a 31.8 version for oversize bars.

There are proper shims available for 25.4 to 28.6, which may be OK (1" to 1 1/8" aheadset, or wheels manufacturing handlebar)
Last edited by andrew_s on 3 Oct 2011, 11:40am, edited 1 time in total.

tomp734444

Postby tomp734444 » 3 Oct 2011, 11:32am

There is a thingy called a Herbie or Ratchet clip that may do the job.

http://www.findtheneedle.co.uk/companies/all-clamps-clips-zero-clips-ltd/products/herbie-clips
It is better to travel than to arrive.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 3 Oct 2011, 11:50am

mattsccm wrote:I need suggestons that are neater and more aesthetic than a jubilee clip. Cable ties are a touch too flexible.
I am running hydraulic disc levers from cable Ergos. They sit either side of the stem and give me bar top levers as well, replacing the cable operated ones I have. All works fine and dandy except for my method of securing the short bit of brake cable to the bars near the center. I use a V brake noodle to put the curve in and it needs clamping securely to the bars, road type , non oversize. A jubilee clip is fine but ugly. I have some plastic bar tape clips that are meant to replace the bit of tape you finish the tape off and they nearly work but do flex a bit and are bulky.
Does anyone have any inspiration? it's the sort of thing that has some obscure, non cycling use possibly. I have tried drope brake lever clamps, clamp on down tube gear lever mounts and all sorts of thing.
I now open the process of discovery to you lot.

A couple of photos would be good.......

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 3 Oct 2011, 1:42pm

Those clamps from SJSC are as near as I can find. Handlebar size and they would be perfect. Well done.
A mate who mends helicopters has just come up with some cable ties with metal bits in them that are very secure. Still not rigid though.
The herbie link keeps spitting back a me but I'll persevere.
Cheers.

meic

Postby meic » 3 Oct 2011, 1:54pm

The "clamps" from SJS are actually cable stops.
I am not sure if this is what you were after but it would be easy enough to drill them through, if you have a drill.
Yma o Hyd

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 3 Oct 2011, 3:46pm

Assuming the cable part is drilled at the bit we can't see for a cable, they are 95% perfect. If they were in handlebar size they would be 101%

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 3 Oct 2011, 3:47pm

Found the Herbie clip link now working. tried those. They flex and aren't very neat. Ta for idea though.

DaveP

Postby DaveP » 3 Oct 2011, 4:23pm

I'm having trouble visualising the details, but if the contact area is long enough it might be possible to make a semi permamnent job by binding them in place - bed 'em in a pinch of epoxy putty, whip tightly with Dacron / terylene / kevlar thread, fine tune the alignment and then smooth some araldite over the job.
Won't be pretty, but you won't see it under the bar tape!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully...

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 3 Oct 2011, 4:43pm

I did even consider a small drill and screw. Drilling bars isn't unknown. I think that may be a last resort though. My brother offered to tig weld 2 stops on. I have had dafter ideas but again hmmmmm?

stewartpratt

Postby stewartpratt » 3 Oct 2011, 4:48pm

I saw this recently. There are some other photos in the set.

2011 Three Peaks Cyclocross bikes by Dave Haygarth, on Flickr

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 3 Oct 2011, 4:54pm

Mine has the cable running along the front of the bar, curving through a V noodle and is currently looped arond the brake lever near to the pivot point. I loose leverage there of course but seem to make it up through the Ergo levers.
Same idea but much tidier.