Locks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
[XAP]Bob

Re: Locks

Postby [XAP]Bob » 14 Oct 2011, 12:58pm

johnsie wrote:Any knowledge out there of alarmed locks?

MickF did a review of the Krabus, which looks really nice.
I looked at an ALDI alarmed padlock, which I use at home (450g for just the padlock) and a cheap taiwanese alarm (with a remote blipper) attached to the frame.

Alarms are only any good if someone responds to them - you set off a car alarm and see how many people even glance over (clue, ~0)
They're good for being in earshot of your own bike though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Reigncloud

Postby Reigncloud » 20 Oct 2011, 12:11am

I posted in another thread about my alarm lock here. My advice would depend on the use. If just touring then the alarm is fine, but if you're leaving it locked up at the station then just get a kryptonite and 'fahgettaboudit' <boom tish>

byegad

Postby byegad » 20 Oct 2011, 9:01am

I was lucky enough to commute to a work place with security guards in the grounds 24/7. So I had a serious and very heavy lock which stayed locked to the stand 24/7. I still carried a lighter lock in case I needed to shop on the way into or away from work. Once there I used both locks to secure the bike. There was no way I'd have wanted to commute with the big lock, it weighed in at several kilograms and was actually a Motorcycle lock!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine