Cyclists boat bike - ideas wanted!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
uphillbothways

Re: Cyclists boat bike - ideas wanted!

Post by uphillbothways »

On a 32 foot yacht, I'd think the Brompton is a bit of a no-brainer - it's just so much smaller than any other proper bike, you can stash them away in all sorts of unlikely places. The Birdy is reasonably compact and the most comfortable upright bike I can think of, but Riese and Muller now have the 16"-wheeled Frog, which is even smaller but just as capable. If you're adamant about steel, I can't think of many options other than the Brompton. The Dahon Tournado is steel-framed, but has 700c wheels and would be very bulky to store.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I'd avoid aluminium in a marine environment, from a point of view of corrosion rather than comfort.
bikefish

Post by bikefish »

Plenty of liveaboards near us - most use tatty looking simple steel Mtb with fairly high quality components + rear racks. These bikes are locked to the jetty rails for ages and are only part dismantled for the final tender run. Bikes are then stripped with steel surfaces painted with old motor oil, grease on alloy/steel contacts. Sun/salt quickly destroy tyres, black ABS plastic fittings.
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

A Big Fish folding bike would sound appropriate, given your position. They have a steel framed model coming out soon.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Fairly sure St Johns St Bikes in Bristol (Thorn) Do Stainless Steel "Joints" too.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

9494arnold wrote:Fairly sure St Johns St Bikes in Bridgewater (Thorn) Do Stainless Steel "Joints" too.
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

Lots of boat owners use older folders. Bikes such as the Raleigh Twenty or Dawes Kingpin don't fold as small as modern folders such as the Brompton but they are more sturdy and a lot cheaper.
I ride a Kingpin due to issues getting a full sized bike into my flat.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

andrew_s wrote:I'd avoid aluminium in a marine environment, from a point of view of corrosion rather than comfort.

If your bike gets enough sea water on it to be a problem, a steel frame is not going to save it. Most of the bolt on bits, chainset, bars, rims, levers etc. are aluminium, and cables and chain too, though steel, will not take kindly to sea water. I know the OP is an fresh water, but the same applies, with a little less force. In any environment the careful cyclist will try to keep the water away from the bike, and out of the bearings.
I used to take a full size wheel bike across the Irish Sea in a seventeen foot yacht. Not much room in the cabin while underway, but I was singlehanded, so on deck. In harbour me and the bike could swap places.
That was not the same as living aboard though, and I was keen to have the bike with me.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
nez

Post by nez »

17'! That's just bigger than a Wayfarer. I thought I was pushing my luck keeping a Brompton below deck on a 26ft boat. Mind you, like you I single hand, so I can organise things to suit myself. Sometimes I develop b&w film on it too.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

nez dans le guidon wrote:17'! That's just bigger than a Wayfarer. I thought I was pushing my luck keeping a Brompton below deck on a 26ft boat. Mind you, like you I single hand, so I can organise things to suit myself. Sometimes I develop b&w film on it too.

The boat was a Leisure 17. Best yacht its size in my opinion, clearly unbiased. The pinch point for a bike in a boat is getting it down the companionway, and that has to fit the sailor, so does not get narrower on a smaller boat. Once in the cabin, it just depends on how much you want the bike along.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Anura

Post by Anura »

Dahon do a folding MTB, they look quite good. Not cheap but a friend of mine was looking at them and was quite impressed. I envy you your boat. It must be great waking up in one. We must try a boating holiday sometime.
Pickled Pig

Post by Pickled Pig »

I had a 32' Beneteau and carried my full size MTB to Ireland and IoM in a bike bag. I was offered the loan of a Brompton from my dad but the flat profile of the MTB suited storage better lying on the f'wd V-berth. I didn't live on the boat so you may have more stuff aboard but if you can fit in a full sizer I'd recommend it.