Carbon v Aluminum

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Poshgill

Carbon v Aluminum

Post by Poshgill »

I'm just about to purchase a new bike and I can't make my mind if I would like a carbon or aluminum frame.

Can anybody give me a steer of why I should pay about £300 more for the same bike with a carbon frame then I would for the sane bike with an aluminum frame. The spec is exactly the same for both bikes, just the frame is different.

PS. I currently ride a steel frame (Dawes Super Galaxy)

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Re: Carbon v Aluminum

Post by [XAP]Bob »

lightness?
stiffness?
comfort?
style?
posing? ;)

Having not ridden a CF frame I can't comment on comfort, but lightness is outweighed by a carried mars bar - or a full bladder.

Not sure what CF is like in terms of fatigue - but assuming you aren't buying an actual TdF bike then it will probably have a good number of years of service, so long as it doesn't get knocked in the wrong direction*.

Bob

* Think about F1 suspension struts - stupidly strong in one direction, but you could snap them with a smart blow from a fist or foot in another direction. I don't know how much strength bike frames are given in "non-strong" directions.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

All other things being equal (but they never are) carbon fibre composite construction should be stiffer for a given weight than aluminium. (One reason why aircraft manufacture is moving in that direction.)
Whether a bike frame needs to be that stiff is another question entirely :wink:
"42"
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I've got a carbon road bike and I would say it is a much better bike than the aluminium bikes I've owned. The bike handles road buzz better and gear changes seem slicker, it's also lighter. However, there is not a massive difference these are subtle differences I've noticed overtime and if money is at a premium then aluminium will do the job. Although some bigger name manufacturers price their higher end alu frames in the same bracket as Focus/RIbble carbon frames.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Question : Carbon or Aluminium?

Answer : Steel.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

JohnW wrote:Question : Carbon or Aluminium?

Answer : Steel.

+1. Friend of mine recently switched from a steel Bianchi to a snazzy carbon gadget and has no way of clamping any luggage onto it. All that glisters is not gold.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

Ontherivet77 wrote:I've got a carbon road bike and I would say it is a much better bike than the aluminium bikes I've owned. The bike handles road buzz better and gear changes seem slicker, it's also lighter. However, there is not a massive difference these are subtle differences I've noticed overtime and if money is at a premium then aluminium will do the job. Although some bigger name manufacturers price their higher end alu frames in the same bracket as Focus/RIbble carbon frames.

+1 but it depends what you want from the bike. Touring? Steel. Commuting? Steel. Fitness training? CF if you can afford it. Racing? CF.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

McVouty wrote:
Ontherivet77 wrote:I've got a carbon road bike and I would say it is a much better bike than the aluminium bikes I've owned. The bike handles road buzz better and gear changes seem slicker, it's also lighter. However, there is not a massive difference these are subtle differences I've noticed overtime and if money is at a premium then aluminium will do the job. Although some bigger name manufacturers price their higher end alu frames in the same bracket as Focus/RIbble carbon frames.

+1 but it depends what you want from the bike. Touring? Steel. Commuting? Steel. Fitness training? CF if you can afford it. Racing? CF.

Surely training should involve a trailer full of concrete blocks...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Answer:
Steel or Titanium.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Surely training should involve a trailer full of concrete blocks...

I remember an article about 25 years (or more) ago, in Cycling Weekly, about Ian Cammish, who had then set the 100 mile competition TT record record at 3hrs 32mins - he rode to and from work, which I think was about 20miles each way (correct me here someone if I'm wrong) and carried two bricks in his saddlebag on the basis that it made the Sunday competition event seem that much easier - without even a saddlebag.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Surely training should involve a trailer full of concrete blocks...
Are you suggesting me?
:D
109_Block_1.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick - you'd do that to a MERCIAN?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Whilst you inspired the somment I do generally think that most training should be at increased resistance.
iow

Post by iow »

never really understood why you would want to add weight to train? why would any one want to get used to riding a poorly balanced bike and braking too early etc?
if you want more 'resistance', change up a gear - train fast, ride fast.
mark
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I do that to my Mercian, and why not?
It's made of steel, it is strong, light, springy and comfortable. Steel is the only bike material to have.

Training with towing a concrete block is good training because it gives such a retarding factor up hills. It makes hills harder, and it makes accelerating more difficult. It promotes strong leg muscles and is a good preparation for a loaded tour.

Road buzz? What is that?
Is it something that you suffer from with an alu bike?
Having never ridden one, I wouldn't know, but I reckon alu bikes are stiff with no shock absorption.
Mick F. Cornwall