Merino wool tops ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Raph

Re: Merino wool tops ?

Post by Raph »

Mark R wrote:Did anyone try one of the Merino base layer garments from ALDI?

I just bought one and tried it on. Found it too itchy and the neck seemed to be an odd shape. Will be returning it tomorrow.

At £16, IMO, is is not good value. I also own an £30 endura merino top, which is also rather itchy, anyone know at what price point the itchyness stops?

No but the one I mentioned above which was very comfy as a base layer cost £40.
alicej

Post by alicej »

Mark R wrote:anyone know at what price point the itchyness stops?

The one I got very cheap on ebay (one sold just as "jumper" in the clothes section, not sold as sports wear) isn't itchy.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Mark R wrote: I also own an £30 endura merino top, which is also rather itchy, anyone know at what price point the itchyness stops?
IMEthese don't itch - but maybe you have sensitive skin?
"42"
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Thanks for the tips

The ALDI top has been returned, I think I'll try a DHB merino top next,@ £23 from wiggle, seems like a good deal and they have excellent reviews. Will report on whether its better than the Endura.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Is the Aldi top wool? Look at the fabric info! Mine was initially a bit scratchy (and has very little wool) but wore it all last winter and found it OK. Quite like it actually even tho' I am a firm believer in Pure Wool as I made my living from this for about 20 years
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Well it said 100% merino on the box, I guess just a low grade was used.
andyh2

Post by andyh2 »

Very fond of merino stuff. Quality definitely matters. I was told by chocolate fish that there's superfine and ultrafine. One has a specific meaning in the trade and one is a generic term (But I can't remember which is which). I was disappointed in one of their tops which wasn't as comfy as other stuff I'd had from them. They swapped no problem.

I like Chocolate fish 190gm weight boxers and tops and wear them all the time. I've also had / got icebreaker, smartwool and On-one. As others have noted the On-one stuff is cheaper and and has some itch whereas the others are lovely. I'm not convinced of the benefit of the heavier weight stuff and prefer to layer with 'normal' midlayers. I wonder if the heavier weights are more prone to holding dampness for longer.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

What is on the packaging can be "misleading". To get the correct content look at the label stitched inside the garment.