Air horns

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gentlegreen

Re: Air horns

Post by gentlegreen »

WaitForPete wrote:I used to have one but the police took it off me.

What were you doing with it ? :shock:
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Many years ago, I used to act as stoker on a friends tandem and we rode int London several times. He had what he described as a boating fog-horn. Big thing with a gas cylinder and a red horn. We used it sparingly, but it did startle a few drivers. :twisted:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Alan D wrote:Many years ago, I used to act as stoker on a friends tandem and we rode int London several times. He had what he described as a boating fog-horn. Big thing with a gas cylinder and a red horn. We used it sparingly, but it did startle a few drivers. :twisted:

AirZound is exactly this only connected by a tube to a reservoir
crazydavid

Post by crazydavid »

BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

Air Zound - use with caution and adjust the volume. It can make YOU jump - never mind the hazard to whom you are alerting your presence.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

BertYardbrush wrote:Air Zound - use with caution and adjust the volume. It can make YOU jump - never mind the hazard to whom you are alerting your presence.

I find that when you need to use it then full volume is appropriate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOOLEdUBVk
byegad

Post by byegad »

Cunobelin wrote:
BertYardbrush wrote:Air Zound - use with caution and adjust the volume. It can make YOU jump - never mind the hazard to whom you are alerting your presence.

+1 set for full volume you can tap it for a gentler toot, or lean on it for attention grabbing!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
rjb

Post by rjb »

Air sound horn should provide some inspiration for the diy brigade. The reservoir bottle is after all just an empty fizz bottle - just connect a cheap horn (available at most pound shops) and a trigger to release the air, oh and an inner tube valve to pump the bottle up :roll: Any ideas :?:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

My Air Zound has a leak in the tube (I think caused by pinching with a brake lever). I can get pressure up but it doesn't last more than about an hour.I have tried pu*cture repair, various tapes but nothing effective.
I thought about soprtening it but cannot see how to extract the end from the trigger part.
Any ideas from users please?
Si

Post by Si »

Cunobelin wrote:

Was that just coincidence - or was it the exact same car on the same junction doing the same thing both times? :roll: if it was ( :roll: in fact even if it wasn't)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Si wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Was that just coincidence - or was it the exact same car on the same junction doing the same thing both times? :roll: if it was ( :roll: in fact even if it wasn't)

NO - two cameras, the first is bike mounted and is fixed view, the second is a helmet mount. I always use both as the second shows details like shoulder checks, eye contact and other aspects missed by the fixed.

That is why you only see the fairing in the second view (with the fixed camera)
Si

Post by Si »

Ah, I see - please excuse my hard of thinking moment :oops: