Technical name for a pushable hinge

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Technical name for a pushable hinge

Post by horizon »

This might sound a bit daft and I probably know the answer but is there a technical term for the type of hinge that allows something to shift and remain in position simply by moving/pushing it? The obvious example is the bicycle prop stand and there are probably others (such as windscreen wipers when you are changing the blades).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
LANDSURFER74

Re: Technical name for a pushable hinge

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

over center lock ,,,,
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

spring loaded?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thanks landsurfer - I presume the QR mechanism is also therefore an over centre lock.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

reohn2 wrote:spring loaded?

No, I think landsurfer is right, though some do have springs. There's something around the house that has a spring lock but I cannot remember what it is - weird! Cam locks may also be correct (for that is what is happening).
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

its an over centre lock , just like wheel spindles and its what keeps the undercarridge down on aircraft when they land, loads are transmitted in a diifferant direction to the un lock loads ,,,, been around since egyptian times ...and prob longer ...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't know the name but I'm at a loss to see what a propstand and windscreen wipers- both of which are held in place by a spring - have in common with a q/r as I understand the term,. which is a cam. the only springs are to help with getting the fork-ends in quickly and easily.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:spring loaded?

No, I think landsurfer is right, though some do have springs. There's something around the house that has a spring lock but I cannot remember what it is - weird! Cam locks may also be correct (for that is what is happening).

The more I think about it the more I think L/surfer is right.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

THE CAM Is the motion not the mecanical lock .. the camming action leads to an over centre lock situation.. feel it as you push the wheel spindle lever .. a rise in force..camming action, .. then a drop in force as the over centre lock happens...
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Not that I understand either the question or the answers (as often happens on these forums!) but it sounds like the type of hinge on some of my kitchen cabinets.

So the answer may be "kitchen cabinet hinge". But probably not.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Toggle latch?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/toggle-nickel-plated-45mm-pack-of-10/15443

Wiki recognises "toggle latch" but I couldn't get "over centre lock/cam" etc to work....probably doing it wrong
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

the toggle latch is a classic overcentre lock .... nothing on wikki ... nothing new there then !!!
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

thirdcrank wrote:I don't know the name but I'm at a loss to see what a propstand and windscreen wipers- both of which are held in place by a spring - have in common with a q/r as I understand the term,. which is a cam. the only springs are to help with getting the fork-ends in quickly and easily.

There is other springiness in a Q/R hub: when locking it the skewer stretches and the rest of the hub is compressed, albeit by almost imperceptible amounts, but this elasticity is vital for the over-centre principle to work.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sounds right to me.

Over Centre Lock.

Never heard the term before although I'm familiar with the concept. It's a common enough device, and there must be hundreds of everyday applications.

Just been using the pressure cooker to make some stock with leftover chicken and veg ........... smells lovely!
The lid locks by dint of an Over Centre Lock - the spring being the rubber seal, and the lock being the lid/bowl sliding interface design.
Mick F. Cornwall
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

In addition to Landsurfer's explanation, some devices use a detent to lock movable things (technical term) in set positions....and some QRs have a detent (typically a ball-type phooerr snarff snarff) in addition to the over centre action.