Does anyone here suffer from Raynaud's syndrome?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nettled Shin

Does anyone here suffer from Raynaud's syndrome?

Post by Nettled Shin »

I've just endured the usual agony of blood forcing its way back into my hand (just my left hand, tonight) after returning from cycling out. I was wearing two layers of mitts. I'm fairly sure I'm exhibiting something like Raynaud's phenomenon, but I've not had it diagnosed officially (I think the test is to plunge your hands into cold water then measure their recovery temperature?). Is there any strong benefit to having a medical diagnosis?
Knocks and vibrations are two things that precipitate it for me; even fastening the "clicky" plastic buckles on panniers or a rucksack belt often brings on the symptoms in cold weather.
In fact, I can get cold hands indoors from just using a keyboard.

Are there any home remedies or treatments I can try? I'm reluctant to give up coffee, but I'm willing to try alcohol if it would help. Wikipedia suggests biofeedback might work. What would I have to do to try that, and would it have to be done whilst riding?

A friend has suggested I learn to ride no-handed so I can keep my hands under my armpits, but that would be some feat, even on a unicycle.
fatboy

Re: Does anyone here suffer from Raynaud's syndrome?

Post by fatboy »

Sad to say I get the same so you have my sympathy. It basically made me give up my train/cycle commute as there was no way that I couldn't stop my fingers from getting painfully cold when I stopped to wait for the train.

As to what to do about it, I can't say so if anyone has any good ideas I'd love to hear them.

So I'm no use to you other than as a fellow sufferer!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If stopping is the issue then a hand warmer would seem to be a plausible solution.
If it's an issue when moving then would a hand warmer on the back of the hand (under a big fat mitten) help at all?

Or (first sponsored link under heated gloves) http://www.primrose.co.uk/heated-gloves ... _1189.html
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

The site recommends regular exercise and stress reduction, so it seems cycling would probably be one of the best things to manage the condition!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Raynauds has cropped up before in this cold hands thread. Might have a few recommendations for gloves, etc,
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
John-D

Post by John-D »

Nettled Shin wrote:

The site recommends regular exercise and stress reduction, so it seems cycling would probably be one of the best things to manage the condition!

Yes, except for any handlebar vibration and the cold.
maxwellhadley

Post by maxwellhadley »

I suffer from Raynaud's phenomenon (rather than the full-blown disease). This is what gets me off the bike over the coldest parts of the winter - I haven't been able to come up with anything that works, except for very short journeys. One of the aggravating factors for me is the need to grip the handlebars, even with gloved hands. When walking in cold weather - which I do a lot - I can keep my hands in jacket pockets, maybe with chemical hand-warmers as well, and once I 'warm up' properly the effect is suppressed. When bike riding, the windchill effect means I take much longer to get warm, by which time the hands have passed the point of no return, making it difficult to change gear or even brake.
Gloves only really help in the first few minutes, after a while I feel as if they are making things worse. I haven't tried electrically heated gloves though.
Being sat down all day in front of a computer makes it worse. If I go shopping after work, even the chilled food cabinets can kick it off!
Being thoroughly warm to start with helps - e.g. after a hot bath.
Halla

Post by Halla »

Raynauds Syndrome can be caused by an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). With this, the body temperature is typically a few degrees colder than normal ie: 35 degess against a norm of 37 degress and a low pulse is common. Reference: Your Thyroid and how to keep it healthy. by Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield.

A blood test can give an indication of hypothyroidism. The NHS are at times reluctant to treat patients with this, it has taken me many years to obtain the thyroxin I needed. Now much better after 2 months of treatmant. Body temperature may take a long time to get any where near normal. There are also many other side effects of Hypothyroidism, which often are misdiagnosed.

I hope this helps.

Regards Andy
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just a thought for those who find that gripping the bars / bar vibration are issues...

Join us laid back types in the "Non Standard" forum - there may be someone locally who would let you have a test ride.

I don't suffer in this way, but the bent allows you to ride with no grip required, and as fat gloves as you like...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I even suffer from cold hands in summer (honest) and am thinking of getting these for winter.
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

De Sisti wrote:I even suffer from cold hands in summer (honest) and am thinking of getting these for winter.

The testimonials for these are glowing, but I'm not convinced. It looks like they are a very loose fit so there would be lots of convection and changes of air. Are they just acting as a wind shield?

Once my body has decided to not supply blood to my fingers, it takes ages (even in a warm house) for the blood to return. If my fingers aren't being heated by blood, I'd need an astonishing amount of insulation to keep them at an elevated temperature---I'd be cycling round with my hands in blocks of polystyrene. And once the heat is lost, for whatever reason, there is no source to regenerate it. Ideally, I'd like to fix my body's weird response to the cold, but if heated clothing is the only solution, I wonder why no one has brought out something like ladies' opera gloves with heat pipes in, or a circulated fluid to take heat from the arms to the hands like in space suits...in effect doing what my blood vessels have given up doing. It's not as though there is a lack of spare heat when cycling hard.
Last edited by Nettled Shin on 27 Dec 2011, 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.
boris

Post by boris »

NIFEDIPINE can be remarkably effective;even a small dose such as 5mg up to 4 times daily as the immediate release form (which could work best for you taken occasionally just before a cold ride if the white-finger only happens on a ride) or 10mg modified release twice daily regularly for the cold months of the year.
I saw someone just today who had frost-nip last week with bad chilblains and is much better after a week on it.
Your Gp will be familiar with it.

wear a warm hat and clothing all over is also essential.

It may be worth seeing the gp not only to ask for this stuff but also to discuss possible need for investigations.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

A long time ago when I was clay pigeon shooting I used these.
Very effective but bulky ,they "burn" for quite some time on a fill of lighter fuel.
http://is.gd/62gWsb
bigphil

Post by bigphil »

I am self diagnosed with Raynaud's. I just about manage - except on the coldest days. Some tips not yet in this thread:

Try Glove liners under your two pairs of mits
Try really hard not to let your hands get cold in the first place. Once the blood goes it's very hard to get it back. Therefore put your gloves on before you leave the house, or at least the liners.
Warm your gloves on the radiator for when you go out

My warmest gloves by a long way are a pair of £70 ski gloves.