Bernard Magnouloux

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dharma Wheel

Bernard Magnouloux

Post by Dharma Wheel »

Hi,

I've just finished reading Travels with Rosinante by Bernard Magnouloux, and thought it was great.

I was just curious if anybody knows of any futher books by him or a web resource of any sorts. I can't seem to find anything but think the guys is one hell of chap and want to know more.

Thanks in advance.
pedalsheep

Re: Bernard Magnouloux

Post by pedalsheep »

Can't help you I'm afraid but agree its a great book and would also be interested in hearing more about him.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I picked up a remaindered copy of this ten or fifteen years ago, and enjoyed reading it - it's still on my bookshelf. To spend 5 years cycling round the world you probably need to be a bit crazy, and BM certainly qualifies in this respect. Inspiring, irritating and amusing; I seem to remember not being able to put it down.

Spending 5mins googling I came up with (among others)

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16 ... Magnouloux
http://lemondedetitus.blogs.letelegramm ... uloux.html

Set your browser to look for French language items and you get more. BM is nowadays apparently a teacher of English in Isere, so some of his writings may be in English - I'm not sure whether the English version of Travels with Rosinante is a translation or not.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Dharma Wheel

Post by Dharma Wheel »

Cheers Ray, found them but couldn't access at work. Why the heck did i ignore my french lessons?

I want to see a film based on this book. If they can have the guts to make On The Road into a film, then some crafty begger can pull this off!
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Thanks for reminding me of him. Must dig his book out and have another read!
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
magnouloux

Post by magnouloux »

Do have another read!
I found this forum by chance and am delighted with what I read. I am the person you are talking about and in that sense, it's weird, especially as I've hardly read half of it in my mother language.
And yes, I am a teacher of English, not in Isère but in very rural and mountainous, bicyclist-paradise Ardèche. No, Travels with Rosinante is not a translation, properly speaking. I regret it now because when I wrote it, I didn't have any university degree in English and I had to oversimplify ---to my taste--- the French text which is probably funnier and less arrogant. My English version was corrected of course but it's basically mine. And yes, I did write other books, only published in French though. The most interesting being probably "Tandem sur la banquise", a Paris to Nordkapp trip in winter and on recumbents with my wife (the last the most troublesome), and "Tandem sur le rail", a Montreal to Kawawachikamach (Labrador) trip which combined recumbent and rail-bike (a sort of convertible tandem, able to ride the rail as well as gravel roads) in summer with bugs, bears and my wife (the last...).

For those of you who wanted to know more about me, I've been involved in reconstructing a century-old farm where I now live. You can have a look at some pictures here :http://principaute-de-montpoulet.over-blog.com/article-reparation-rehabilitation-ou-transmutation-82962136.html
Ray

Post by Ray »

Bonjour Bernard, et bienvenue au forum!

How nice that you found this thread and were able to respond. I see from your Montpoulet website that your interests and talents go far beyond riding a bike; you have created a beautiful home, and are really fortunate to live in such a beautiful area. Have had a quick look at some of your web pages, particularly the slide sequence on l'Ardechoise, which brought back memories of riding that amazing event several years ago. I look forward to reading more - slowly and with great concentration :)

All the best

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
adamant

Post by adamant »

There is a review of the book here...

http://www.cycling-books.com/Travels%20 ... ouloux.htm
Farmer Palmer

Post by Farmer Palmer »

Fantastic and what an inspirational book..........I read it in the mid nineties and still have the same very battered and dog eared second hand original copy which I take with me on my travels today!

FP.