High speed train service London - Dover: cycle policy?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ericonabike

High speed train service London - Dover: cycle policy?

Postby ericonabike » 7 Jan 2012, 1:17pm

I've just discovered the existence of this line, which means that I can travel from my home station to Dover by just changing trains at St Pancras - no hiking cross-town, and a very rapid frequent service. South Eastern trains cycle policy seems pretty good - for me at least - as they are allowed on non-peak services. Does this also apply to the HST? It doesn't refer to there being any difference in policy, but I'd be grateful if someone could confirm that they have indeed taken a bike on the HST service...
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.

robgul

Re: High speed train service London - Dover: cycle policy?

Postby robgul » 7 Jan 2012, 4:42pm

Not yet ... but we're using the Javelin/HST from St Pancras to Folkestone in June to catch the Eurotunnel bike service - 6 or 7 of us with touring bikes - I have an e-mail that says there are no cycle-carrying restrictions on Sat/Sun or outside the "rush hour" (but that's not defined) Mon-Fri.

I'll be taking the train to Stratford, as a passenger, to go the Olympic Track event in Feb and intend to check the situation re bikes.

The other upside is that there doesn't seem to be any fare premium for the HST as against the Charing X services.

Rob

ericonabike

Postby ericonabike » 7 Jan 2012, 5:04pm

Rush hour is defined at http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/yo ... le-policy/ - my journey will be outside that, but am less than confident about the cycle policy applying across HST as well as 'standard' services...
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.

johnb

Postby johnb » 7 Jan 2012, 9:37pm

ericonabike wrote:Rush hour is defined at http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/yo ... le-policy/ - my journey will be outside that, but am less than confident about the cycle policy applying across HST as well as 'standard' services...

I used it Nov 2011 Dover to London, I asked the conductor which carriage I should put my bike in and he replied any of them. Didnt seem to be any problem.

Was outside the rush hour.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.

JamesE

Postby JamesE » 12 Feb 2013, 1:17am

I've taken a bike on the London-Canterbury HST several times and it's fine. There's a decent-sized wheelchair/bike space on every train - it's always the very first or very last carriage and you can tell it by a light-blue wheelchair symbol on the door. But I've never been on one that's too busy to fit a bike in the vestibules.

Robgul - there is an extra charge for the HST service - you need a "plus HS1" ticket which costs an extra £5 or so.

robgul

Postby robgul » 12 Feb 2013, 8:55am

JamesE wrote:I've taken a bike on the London-Canterbury HST several times and it's fine. There's a decent-sized wheelchair/bike space on every train - it's always the very first or very last carriage and you can tell it by a light-blue wheelchair symbol on the door. But I've never been on one that's too busy to fit a bike in the vestibules.

Robgul - there is an extra charge for the HST service - you need a "plus HS1" ticket which costs an extra £5 or so.

I beg to differ on the charge comment - we used the service last June (as part of a pre-booked through return from Warwick Parkway to Folkestone West) and paid the same fare as if we had gone via Charing Cross - in fact it was even better in that we got "Group of 4" tickets that halved the price.

There MAY be a higher rate for walk-up on the day fares ... but who buys them unless you really, really have to?

... and no issues with bikes we had 8 on the same train ... this coming June we'll have 13 !

Rob

ericonabike

Postby ericonabike » 12 Feb 2013, 9:31am

Bit of a late update, but...I was delighted with this service. My son and I had booked advance tickets from Dover to Leicester for £23 each, including HST. No problem getting bikes on board [once we'd worked out where they went] and a speedy train.

JamesE

Postby JamesE » 12 Feb 2013, 11:46am

Rob: ah! Yes, right, sorry. You pay extra if you're just taking the HST but not if it's part of a longer journey. [No, me neither...]