Why don't I use Wiggle?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: Why don't I use Wiggle?

Post by pete75 »

Simple and easy way to get over the being out for delivery problem is to have the stuff delivered to work.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
niggle

Post by niggle »

pete75 wrote:Simple and easy way to get over the being out for delivery problem is to have the stuff delivered to work.

For those of us who cycle to work that rather depends on the size of the item.
mjr

Post by mjr »

jam05 wrote:Some couriers are completely useless but these are individuals not entire companies - it's irritating to hear people say "Shitttylink" or "Parcel Farce" because one crap courier or postman doesn't do the job properly when most of us are doing it right to keep our jobs.

I think we know that and that's why our fury is directed at the companies which don't bother with processes to stop and fix the odd crap one. The individuals are not the companies.

But one crap courier? That's underestimating the scale of the failing at some courier companies. I had repeated disputes with Initial Citylink in different locations and when they finally ceased trading, they left a christmas present stuck in one of their depots after lying about people not being in to receive the delivery - that'll teach me to cut corners and skip checking who the delivery firm is just because I was in a rush to beat the last order deadlines. Happily I found the item in stock in a town high street store.

I think Wiggle use DPD who seem OK, if a bit optimistic on predicted delivery times. Several online bike shops use DPD, don't they? I've asked one local bike shop if they'd stop using DHL for deliveries because they treat local cycleways as their private shortcuts/parking (and never mind if anyone's cycling there! Can be quite alarming!) and oppose protected cycleways in London.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

niggle wrote:
pete75 wrote:Simple and easy way to get over the being out for delivery problem is to have the stuff delivered to work.

For those of us who cycle to work that rather depends on the size of the item.

Why? Chap at our place cycles in and has quite large stuff delivered. If he can't carry it on his bike one of the many people who drive in drops it off at his place. With a bit of cooperation between people simple problems like that are easily solved.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:I think Wiggle use DPD ..........
Every single thing I have ever had from Wiggle has come via Royal Mail or Parcelforce, and I've had excellent service. I can't fault it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

gbnz wrote:Why don't I use wiggle?

Having placed an order, I now remember why, aside from their website design.

They deliver using City-Link. Who've helpfully left a card and suggest I pop down to the depot to pick the goods up :x. It isn't 2.5 miles down the road (Royal Mail), nor has stuff been left helpfully at one of several post offices within ten miles, or wth a neighbour.

Instead it's 50 miles away, a journey which isn't going to happen.

Whats the best way to return Wiggles good's, to Wiggle without collecting? Claim nothings arrived, lose the missed delivery card?

I simply ring City Link, tell them that their practices are too restrictive to allow delivery and ask them to return to sender

I simply do not use any company that uses City Link
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Big T wrote:Planet X use DPD and they make 2 attempts to deliver, on consecutive days. They also send you a text to tell you when they are going to arrive (well, which hour anyway).

It's high time that courier companies started offering evening delivery at no extra cost.

The problem of getting stuff delivered, is why I still mainly use my LBS.

Bizarre thing is that Amazon (DPD) deliver on a Sunday at no extra cost

Whereas City Link had ridiculously inflated charges for a Saurday!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Big T wrote:Planet X use DPD and they make 2 attempts to deliver, on consecutive days. They also send you a text to tell you when they are going to arrive (well, which hour anyway).

It's high time that courier companies started offering evening delivery at no extra cost.

The problem of getting stuff delivered, is why I still mainly use my LBS.

And how are they going to do that at no extra cost? Either they pay drivers extra for working unsociable hours which increases costs or they expect the drivers to do it with no extra remuneration so the cost falls on them. There's also the cost on drivers with young families of arriving home each night after their children have all gone to bed. Not all cost is financial and the cost of most of this free and cheap delivery falls on the poor buggers in the warehouses and delivery trucks...

I've ordered a lot of stuff online over the years and the only problem was when a bike was misrouted via Bristol so it arrived in two days rather than one. The delivery drivers are invariably friendly and good natured despite their often low wages and poor employment conditions.
san0

Post by san0 »

I'm currently baffled by my text (2:03pm) and email message saying that the parcel was delivered to 'you or a neigbour' (I was in at the time and once i heard my SMS pinging me), I ran outside and started knocking on all the neigbours doors - they havn't received anything!!!
What can I do now? The postie didn't even leave a note saying which neigbour! They didn't even ring my door bell.
Now looking at all the tracking info online on the Royal mail and Wiggle websites, it says the parcel was delivered! Is there a way to get my money (£50 worth of stuff) back as seems like it will be my word against royal mail/Wiggle?
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Have you double checked for it around the outside of your house - even in your recycle bin perhaps? Postie's usually leave a note saying parcel left in .... though.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Write down a detailed list of events, including who you have contacted and when

Then send to the local Sorting Office who should be able to contact the Postie and find out where

Also copy to Wiggle as the contract to deliver is with them and they need to take action.

Had this a couple of years ago where a courier had left package on my doorstep, and it wasn't there when I got home....

They insisted that I had signed for it, and even provided my "signature"

Amazon didn't bat an eye lid and replaced immediately when I complained
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I've found DPD to be fantastic - their text or email of delivery slot is always spot on, and I can ask them to leave in a safe place as well. From my experience DPD are the best delivery company by far. ps I don't work for them, or know anyone who does.
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

Slightly related and not sure it justifies a separate thread.

With Halfords buying out Tredz and Wiggle merging with Chain Reaction does this mean were going to see a price war start between the two groups, to our benefit, or just slowly see a monopoly forming to our wallets detriment?
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

If the prices go up too much there are still plenty of others around (sjsand, acycles and jejames are three I've used before off the top of my head) along with a number of German online retailers who will probably keep them honest.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Notice when ordering from chain reaction the other day. they now do a service where you collect local from a collection point , its not free, 1.99 I think. But this compared to loosing stuff or driving somewhere is a great service.
NUKe