New cyclist looking for some advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eileithyia

Re: New cyclist looking for some advice

Post by eileithyia »

PS not trying toput you off, just painting it like it is so you are aware of the big task in front of you if do this commute.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1 on that!

My first commute was only a mile or two, then later 5 miles each way.

Still later, it was 8miles each way, and then for a couple of years I was doing 14miles each way almost all of the 5days per week. Some days the weather was so bad, I'd drive, :oops: but at least I had the option.

For the last of my commuting life, it was 17miles each way - now living in Cornwall. Downhill for the majority of the ride in, and obviously uphill to get home! I can confirm that it was knackering!

I eventually settled on riding 3 or 4 days of the week and driving the other 1 or 2. This kept me happy and nicely tired, fit and strong, but not knackered and worn out.

I had lockers and changes of clothing at work, so cycling kit vs uniform wasn't an issue.
Mick F. Cornwall
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

Personally would be nervous about Sportdirect bike, but have no evidence to support this. Halfords "Carrera" brand bikes are good bikes for the money I spent £200 on a Carrera Subway 1 a couple of years ago and it is a brilliant bike. It sounds like you're looking at longish distances so whilst you don't need to spend a fortune, you probably do need to spend £250 or so, some of the cheap bikes are heavy and slow. I'd avoid anyhting with suspension and go for some sort of hybrid, but you might prefer a racer.

I commute and don't wear any real "cyclist" gear, I also cycle in jeans or tracksuits quite a bit, and I don't bother with cycling shoes. The only thing I worry about is making sure I can be seen so I wear hi-viz when it is dark. But I only commute 3 miles eah way; for longer journeys, then comfort and clothing can be more important, especially things like saddles etc. & padded trousers. You'll also go faster with proper cycle shoes.

If I was you I'd give it a go in normal clothes and then take it from there.
irc

Post by irc »

I agree cycling the entire distance is too much at the start. I suggest you use the train for Paisley - Glasgow then cycle to Cumbernauld because a quick check on Trainline suggests the Glasgow - Cumbernauld trains are every 30 minutes whereas the Paisley Glasgow are every 5 or 10 minutes. So the waiting time for your train will be an average 15 minutes for Glasgow-Cumbernauld but only 5 minutes for Paisley - Glasgow.

The route on road from Glasgow to Cumbernauld is straightforward, easy to follow and is generally on wide roads without heavy traffic which is all now on the M80 since it was completed last year. From George Square take the only uphill exit north crossng the M* at Baird Street, continue along Royston Road to the A80 Cumbernauld Rd then follow it to Cumbernauld.

This route is straightforward to cycle up to Moodiesburn. It isn't flat but the gradients are all fairly low and even after the clib out of George Square. I'm not familiar with the last couple of miles into Cumbernauld and the google maps which are usually good for looking at routes have not been updated with the new M80. Google streetview in fact shows it under construction.

I know you wanted off road routes but you'll find off road means less direct routes and slower average speeds because of poor surfaces and more junctions where the cyclist needs to stop and and give way.

Maybe there is someone from the area that could comment?
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Haven't read all the other posts so sorry if I am duplicating other people. I cycle a 10 mile each way commute on either a Trek Soho or Carrera Subway 8 both have hub gears which I can really recommend for a regular commuting bike as they are weather proof, low maintennance and you can change gear while stationary. Hub or disc brakes would be another feature I would recommend. Number one thing though is talk to your local bike shop. A good one will sort you out with the right bike properly set up from the start and keep you going.
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

dewi1 wrote:Personally would be nervous about Sportdirect bike, but have no evidence to support this.

I do.

A couple of years ago I was asked to clear out some bike racks in a university building that had some long abandoned bikes in them. Included in them was one of the Sports Direct Dunlops, along with a couple of Apollos.

None of the bikes had been used all that much, certainly not more than a hundred miles on any of them. I replaced the stolen saddle on the Apollo (a CX10), serviced it (i.e. set it up properly), replaced the awful tyres with some used ones from my tourer and used it for commuting for six months. Nothing bad happened to it, and although the components were from the low end, it did the job.

The Dunlop, however, was total rubbish. Nothing worked, nothing could be adjusted properly, everything was built down to a price well below that of Shimano's lowest of the low end components. It was utterly unusable and a complete waste of resources. Avoid.
_________
LEJoG slug
porky

Post by porky »

I did a commute of 22 miles each way for three years. I did "bike - train - bike" on the way to work (5 miles on the bike) and bike all the way home (twice a week in winter, most evenings in summer). That way you get plenty of exercise on the bike what you're not in a hurry and it doesn't matter if you arrive hot & sweaty or soaked & filthy. I only did the outward journey all the way by bike on nice summer days when I didn't mind getting up an hour early.

As for the bike, putting that sort of mileage on a bike will wear bits out, offroad riding especially, so it's worth starting with the best bike you can afford (once you have decided exactly what type of bike you want). This time of year you can pick up last years bikes at a good discount, so there is a fair bit of choice from £250. A quick look at the internet and I can see a few hybrids from £230-280 (GT, pinnacle, Kona, etc.) if you can find the right size. But as others have said, it would be better to borrow a bike for a while to see if things work out for you and to help you decide what to spend your money on.

Remember you will need to add maybe £100 for lights, mudguards, luggage, waterproofs, gloves, helmet (if you choose to wear one) and a good lock to keep your bike yours. Actually you could spend a lot more than that but, like the bike, it's better to find out what works for you before spending too much.

I dumped the gym in favour of cycling years ago, the plan was to save money. I have since found that I haven't saved any money but I am much happier :)
My car does 40 miles on a gallon of petrol, my bike will do that on a mug of tea and a slice of cake.
graymee

Post by graymee »

porky wrote:I dumped the gym in favour of cycling years ago, the plan was to save money. I have since found that I haven't saved any money but I am much happier :)

You probably haven't saved money because you're now addicted and must keep spending money on bikes and cycling kit to feed your addiction.

Lots of good advice on this thread but where has redcard gone?
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Maybe he's been sent off? :mrgreen:

(sorry!)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

LollyKat wrote:Maybe he's been sent off? :mrgreen:

(sorry!)

:lol:

I had also been wondering - first post, potentially a hot topic.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

(sorry!)

:D :D

I often wonder why someone posts then apparently disappears....?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

Maybe he just thought sod it to the cycling and went back to the gym :)
I'm getting back to cycling after too many years away and it is a big difference between indoor and outdoor exercising
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

Maybe what is needed here is a good quality folder? That way you can start off by comnining bus train and bike and gradually increase the bike portion as your fitness improves.
karlt

Post by karlt »

eileithyia wrote:

(sorry!)

:D :D

I often wonder why someone posts then apparently disappears....?

Or they're reading and waiting to respond once they have a question ;)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

They don't get sent off by the ref in cricket:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22178&p=180071&hilit=cricket+forum#p180071