frame size

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cols3064

frame size

Post by cols3064 »

iam 5ft 7 in is 22.5 centre to top frame to big for me
531colin

Re: frame size

Post by 531colin »

I think it probably is, but why don't you just measure 22.5" on your seatpost on your current bike, and see what standover you would get?
If its a sloping top tube frame, its REALLY too big.
manotea

Post by manotea »

It all depends but 'yes'.

I'm 5'11" and 22.5" is my size. Is say you were nearer 21"

HTH

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my HTC Desire S using hovercraft full of eels.
cols3064

Post by cols3064 »

its standard diamond frame
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

depends on your inside leg measurement,top half length
I'm long leg short body,my brother is the opposite :? so he rides a 'bigger bike'and i ride a tiddler :)
I`m def too old for this!
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

On paper, it probably is too big is but you should try and see for yourself if possible. Obviously if you're buying new, you should aim to get the correct size. But if you're buying secondhand and have the chance of a bargain, IMO as long as you can reach the bars comfortably, then top tube height isn't neccesarily a deal breaker.

Bit of an extreme example: I'm 5 foot 7" too with an inside leg of about 29.5". I rode a 23.5" frame bike for many years cos its all I had and I couldn't afford anything else. I had to fit a much shorter stem than was originally fitted and had to lean the bike over when I came to a stop to clear the top tube but other than that, I never had any problems.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My answer: probably.

It's not generally a good idea to try to size a bike on height alone. People are all proportioned slightly differently. If you have a current bike that you can measure, you might be able to tell by the difference.

I'm 5'8" and a 22.5 frame would be considerably too big for me. But I'm long-legged and short-bodied and I tend to take a size smaller than most people would give me based upon height alone. It is possible to adapt (or adapt to) a bike with slightly too large frame; I rode bikes that were too big for me for years.

However, I wouldn't recommend buying a bike with a frame that size, if that's the reason for asking.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Measure your inside leg and deduct 10". That will give you a good starting point.
A good few years ago the "fashion" was for larger frames with not much seat tube showing. Now it's the opposite.
At 5' 7" I would think 22.1/2 is to big. You will be able to ride it but the reach could be to long for comfort.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Its your leg length that matters.

Using the French Fit ( 1/3 height ), its OK and you could ride it.

Using the Eddy Fit, Lemonde, Trek and nearly everyone else, its 4 cm ( two sizes ) too big. That's assuming your leg length follows caucasian averages. if you're an Afro Caribean, its one size too big.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It's your bike you ride it. Is it comfortable to ride? If it is then the size is fine.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

pete75 wrote:It's your bike you ride it. Is it comfortable to ride? If it is then the size is fine.

No, no, no.

Is it comfortable to hop off the saddle and stand on the roadsurface with the toptube clear of your wedding tackle?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Leg length isn't linked to height. I'm 5'5" most of my frames are around 20" except for one of 21". My girlfriend is the same height but has long legs and her frames are around 22" (one is 23"). I can barely reach the pedals on her bikes :( .
Of course she has a comensurately shorter body and has greater reach problems.
I think inside leg length (crotch to floor) less 10" is about right for a diamond frame (BB height will affect the standover height) but there has been another extensive thread on this topic.
cols3064

Post by cols3064 »

this is a touring frame so prob need larger frame,so you are in a more upright position
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

ANTONISH wrote:Leg length isn't linked to height. I'm 5'5" most of my frames are around 20" except for one of 21". My girlfriend is the same height but has long legs and her frames are around 22" (one is 23"). I can barely reach the pedals on her bikes :( .
Of course she has a comensurately shorter body and has greater reach problems.
I think inside leg length (crotch to floor) less 10" is about right for a diamond frame (BB height will affect the standover height) but there has been another extensive thread on this topic.

Leg Length is linked to diet during adolesence. Normal for caucasians is a Sitting Height Ratio of 53% ( crotch to floor is 47% of total height ).
Mine's 52.6% ( 32.25" leg length ).

Crank length is determined by hip height. Seat angle is determined by thigh length, lower leg length and position of the knee above the pedal. Top tube height is determined by Standover height so Seat tube length is calculated trigonometrically from frame height and seat angle.

On touring bikes, the knee is trailing the pedal spindle, and taking this into account, seat angle is lower than a sprint racebike. With the seat angle lower, the seat tube length will be longer to satisfy the same Standover height. In compensation, stem reach will be shorter to achieve proper lumbar posture.

Seat tube length as a bicycle sizing is not really the correct method.
The stated Standover height on the spec sheet should be Leg Length minus 1.5" to compensate for heels and clearance.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

Ayesha wrote:
pete75 wrote:It's your bike you ride it. Is it comfortable to ride? If it is then the size is fine.

No, no, no.

Is it comfortable to hop off the saddle and stand on the roadsurface with the toptube clear of your wedding tackle?

All else being equal, it's nice to be able to do that but not essential. I agree with Pete75 - comfort when riding the bike is the important thing.

As I said above - in several years of riding a bike that was probably more than 2" too tall for me, I never once had a collision between the family jewels and the top tube. All I had to do when stopping was lean the bike over slightly while hopping out of the saddle - pretty simple really.