Legal Status of Traffic Sign

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DaveP

Legal Status of Traffic Sign

Post by DaveP »

I came across this one the other day, while working. I had to go there again today and started asking myself questions...

It's near the junction of a two way urban road and a minor road serving a number of residential residential streets. As you approach the junction on the minor road (stem of T) there is a sign, white letters on blue ground saying something like "No right turn, U-turn available at roundabout." The centre line spreads itself into a bit of chevron-ing at the junction, further suggesting that a left turn is the thing to do.
While the reason for this is not apparent, the intention is quite plain. But is the instruction legally binding in the absence of the familiar red black and white "No Right Turn" sign?

Its just curiosity for me. Its only a hundred yards or so to the roundabout, and though I cant actually turn round there in the truck, its only a couple of hundred more to a proper 'un!
But I can imagine fining it irritating if I lived there, and problematic to a cyclist, as the roundabout in question is also the entrance and exit to a petrol station and mini industrial estate. A pretty dangerous place to do a U-turn on a bike, IMO. I rather think I'd just wait till it was quiet and...
And how are you today officer? :lol:
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
thirdcrank

Re: Legal Staus of Traffic Sign

Post by thirdcrank »

Ultimately, the only thing that carries any force is a traffic regulation order which can be checked at the local highways dept. Best to be armed with the facts before having to be able to prove them.

Strange how these signs that use words rather than symbols are often about silly ideas like "cyclists dismount."
snibgo

Re: Legal Status of Traffic Sign

Post by snibgo »

If right turns were actually prohibited, I'd expect to find the proper prohibition sign in a red circle, as illustrated http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 070644.pdf

White lettering on blue background tends to be information or directions, or advice, with some oddities such as the minimum speed limit.

Perhaps a local authority wanted to ban right turning but couldn't be bothered with the paperwork. However, even if it has no legal force, I fear the sign would be considered in any court case involving an accident with a right-turner.
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

Rectangular signs give information. Round signs give orders: round signs with a red border are orders not to do something, blue round signs are orders to do something. Using that system means that your sign is not mandatory.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

This signage means "Get off your bike and levitate it above the pathway over the heads of any pedestrians."

Please note. In the photo there is a mother with small child walking on the dual-use path. If there is a collision between bicycle and either the mother or small child, guess who would be prosecuted?

In this case, The local council couldn't afford to word the sign correctly. It should read "Cyclists dismount when pedestrians are present".
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

No, it means "do your best to bully cyclists off the carriageway where they belong" (at least to any motorist) :evil: