Hill Training - on a 3 speed Brompton

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SJSBrompton

Hill Training - on a 3 speed Brompton

Post by SJSBrompton »

Last year I did the Brompton World Championships at Blenheim. I'm happy to cycle relatively long distances on the Brompton, and certainly in excess of the length of the course - but what I was not prepared for was the hills.

I have a very flat commute in Central London, as was the commute at my previous job in Kingston upon Thames. Any extended rides home due to train screw-ups were also flat, but I gave it a fair clip, didn't amble.

The BWC was absolute agony on the knees, even in 1st gear. I don't seem to have the balance to get 'out of the saddle' and I (and a couple of other women of a certain age) ended up getting off and pushing on the worst parts. At which stage you are overtaken at speed by some whippet on exactly the same bike.

I'm planning on getting in some training this year (I know it isn't until August, but my knees are hurting in this cold weather, which reminded me).

Apparently the Brompton factory boys train in Richmond Park (which makes sense) but has anyone any advice on how to tackle this sort of thing?
snibgo

Re: Hill Training - on a 3 speed Brompton

Post by snibgo »

SJSBrompton wrote:The BWC was absolute agony on the knees ...

It may be worth looking at your saddle position. Loads of advice on this forum. Basically, it may be too low. When the pedal is at the bottom, your knee should be slightly bent, but only slightly.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In any sort of bike race, the hills tend to sort the men from the boys, which is why they are so popular with event organisers. (The basic point is that anybody can sit on somebody else's wheel all day and benefit from the other protecting them from a significant part of the effects of wind resistance, uphill, individual ability is much more significant.)

We have had a couple of quite long threads on hill climbing techniques. I don't know what the rules are for the event you mention, but if yweaking of the bikes is allowed, there will be riders who fit the most suitable gears for the job in hand.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Not a Bromptoneer, but I can back you up that the climb on that circuit is unpleasant. It is just steep enough and certainly long enough to be a problem, and I live in a hilly part of the country. Speaking to people at the event 2 years ago I came away with the conclusion that it is hard to ride a Bromptons out of the saddle and I was told that a number of people walked. Only advice I could offer would be to get away from the flatlands more often.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I sometimes use a Brompton and can ride it out of the saddle - I have to on the hills around here! Compared with a "normal" bike I find I have to swing my body from side to side more, rather than swing the bike. I think this is mainly because the frame is a bit spongy. I can't pull too hard on the handlebars, either, but it still helps me get up the hills. I would find it easier if I had toe-clips to keep my feet on the pedals but so far I manage without.

For sore knees make sure you keep them warm, if necessary wearing knee-warmers and/or overtrousers with your normal attire when it is really cold. Also try doing stretches - calf, quads and hamstrings, and exercises for strengthening the Vastus Medialis. Google will give you lots to choose from but IME just doing 5 minutes a day has really helped.
Last edited by LollyKat on 1 Feb 2012, 6:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
westofsouth

Post by westofsouth »

Gear ratios are, as we all know, important here. Unfortunately, I know nothing of Brompton gear ratios, but I find that gears of about 40, 54 and 72 gear-inches suit my old Raleigh 3-speed, and will get me up most hills (except the 2 arrow type :-). Standing on the pedals is essential. Do you know what ratios you have?
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

I have a 3 speed Brompton (an M3L) and find that hills are hard going too. I'm an overweight 42 yo woman and do find the frame feels a bit floppy for getting up on the pedals. I am 5ft 10 and appreciate having an extended seat tube and a harder suspension block (according to Brompton my weight suggests I need one rather than for my athleticism!).
I think keeping the tyre pressures well up really helps lots too. Ultimately, I think that hills really do sort the truly fit from mere mortals. I have toyed with the idea of upgrading to a six speed transmission or if I have a lottery win I'd try a Rohloff conversion.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I train for timetrialing on an indoor trainer, a gym ergometer and a heavy 700C wheeled bike set-up the same as my TT bike.

I also ride a Raleigh 20. 3 speed Sturmey and quite heavy. It doesn't have clipless but really moves when I want to move. Its quite good up hills too.

If you go to BikeRadar, to their 'Training' section, you'll pick up some good info.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Hi

wastofsouth mentions gearing and I can only concur. The standard Brompton chainring is 50 tooth which in my opinion gives gearing fine for pootling around on the flat but way too high if your route includes hills. I would suggest that you change to the optional 44 tooth chainring which is easy enough to fit. You will probably need to remove a link from the chain if you do this.

Chainrings are easily bought (e.g. http://www.biketrax.co.uk/products.php? ... p379&rs=gb ).
geomannie
westofsouth

Post by westofsouth »

...probably much cheaper and easier to change the SA rear sprocket to a larger one - assuming this is possible on a Brompton :idea:
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Fit a pair of clipless on your ergometer, and learn how to grind.
You'll need the high gear to hammer along the flat and downhill.
Si

Post by Si »

I have tried climbing on a Brommie - didn't half scare me, as soon as I got out the saddle and gave it some dog the thing started to resemble a spaghetti, the way it flexed at the front. I gather that the newer ones have better bars these days which make the ride more solid. Anyway, WRT climbing on small wheeled bikes, on my Birdy (also with 16" brommie sized wheels - back when this was a popular conversion) getting out the saddle was a pain because the front would try to tuck under (excuse the vague description but if you've experienced it you'll know exactly what I'm talking about). I then fitted some bar ends and suddenly it started behaving and was fine or out the saddle climbing. Perhaps bar ends would help on your brommie and let you get out the saddle easier (assuming that you don't already have them)?
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

westofsouth wrote:...probably much cheaper and easier to change the SA rear sprocket to a larger one - assuming this is possible on a Brompton :idea:

Err, no its not IMHO. I looked at all options a few years ago for lowering the gearing on my Brompton and changing the front ring was by far the simplest. As I remember, larger rear sprockets are not available for Bromptons and would in any case likely foul the chain-stays.

If you can find the parts, changing the rear sprockets might indeed be cheaper (with the caveat above), but for simplicity change the front chain-ring. If its still in good nick, sell the old 50T on Ebay and recoup some expenditure.
geomannie
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

I use a Brompton in hilly areas. Mine is a six speed with a 44t front chainring. The lower gearing and increased spinning rate is easier on my knees. This gives me a bottom gear of 29 gear inches and a high gear of 88 gear inches. With this gearing, I can spin up most hills. My top speed spins out at about 25mph with this gearing. Your SA3 speed currently has a bottom gear of 48 gear inches and a high gear of 85. If you currently 'spin out' at about 22mph, this will confirm this. If you fit a 44t chainring, you will lower the bottom gear to 42 gear inches but now your highest gear will be only 75 gear inches. This will limit your top speed to a guestimate of about 19mph. These guestimates assume a maximum pedalling speed of 90-95 rpm.

The most successful Bromptons at Blenheim are the 2 speeders which also have a highest gear of 75 inches (lowest 56). It would appear that success depends on spinning faster!

I can get up steep hills faster on higher gearing with a road bike than I can with my Brompton on lower gearing, but then that would be expected, it's a lot lighter.

If you want to win, get the lightest Brompton possible, increase your spinning rate and practice climbing :D

Useful info source http://xldev.co.uk/bgc.html

Good luck next year.
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

If you have the standard gearing, low is too high for climbs! My B's have always been with the reduced gearing option, which allows for hill ascents: the descents can be free wheeled!