mobile phone and music/touring

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roadvader

mobile phone and music/touring

Post by roadvader »

how do others manage?,do you have dynamo hubs with an e-werk etc?,or do you take spare phone batteries and just keep switching it on and off for use?

also as far as music goes it seems all music players are rechargeble now,unless the are some around which still use batteries?
sorry love not tonight im shaving my legs...
PW

Re: mobile phone and music/touring

Post by PW »

The mobile gets charged before I go and switched on for incoming calls 7 - 8pm every night. It'll last 3 weeks at that. The other thing is a radio with L/W on it for the cricket, news and weather forecast and maybe R2 fm if I'm feeling musical. A packet of Duracells in the barbag takes no space and covers for light failures, though I always fit new batteries in the flashers anyway. The main lighting system is Schmidt/B&M.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Mobile phone stays at home and I buy a phone card for public phones (western europe touring).

Last year I thought I'd try a radio, so I bought a Morphy Richards DAB/FM radio with MP3 player. http://www.radio-now.co.uk/morphy_richa ... radio.html It was a waste of time. I could find nothing on DAB in France and FM reception was very poor to impossible, MP3 was ok. I bought that radio deliberately because it uses AA batteries so no issues with charging and so on.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Two phones!

(Which according to all the "reality police shows" makes me a drug dealer!)

I have a Motorola Defy that is used for work and play, but use a very small cheap Samsung PAYG as a touring phone because it lasts a whole week of use.

It also means that only a few people can contact me.
roadvader

Post by roadvader »

like the on and off method,i guess anyway who would want a phone with txt coming through all the time on a peaceful cycle tour!!,still stumped on the endless music though!!!
:)
sorry love not tonight im shaving my legs...
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

still stumped on the endless music though!!!

I still have my old battery powered Muvo Creative MP3 player like this one here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/Creative-MuVo ... 286.c0.m14

Its only 1GB of storeage but that is about 16 hours of music. Its also got an FM radio tuner. Runs on AAA betteries each lasting about 16 hours. Very small and light and great for use when travelling.
geomannie
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

It's a constant issue for me as my HTC Desire HD phone and my Creative Zen mp3 player both have rechargeable batteries which don't last long. I also used to leave the phone switched off and only use the mp3 player sparingly.

I have tried a number of solar chargers with out much success and even resorted to taking an ASUS EEEPC as this has a very long battery life and can charge both devices.

However I have recently bought one of these which seems to mean you can recharge from normal batteries. Not very ecofriendly but probably acceptable for a limited period. The only problem seems to be that it will only charge the phone to about 55% so it might be a bit hard on the rechargeable battery.

https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/pr ... chimplite/

I will report back later in the year with a progress report.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Son 20R Dynohub; EWERK; 5000 Mah battery pack - will recharge my phone, iPod and Garmin: daily! My iPad2 gets charged via USB plug at the local pub in the evenings - never been refused!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Goodness how did we cope pre-mobile phone days... :D we toured without gadgets, gizmos and chargers!

Seriously though, have sneakily used cafe power points to boost phone charge while supping a brew, and only use for urgent calls. As for music/radio just do without.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

My cheap as chips Nokia 5230 takes a replaceable battery which are £3.50 on Amazon. I take 4 spare charged batteries and this gives me 50 hours of sat nav, which I only use if lost in a town. Pubs/ bars have let me charge a phone before for a pound in the charity box.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....