CARRADICE BAGS WHICH ONE

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JINKY230

Re: CARRADICE BAGS WHICH ONE

Post by JINKY230 »

guys really finding the posts interesting and taking all your views into consideration
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I have loads of Carradice stuff, all of it excellent.The most used is the Super C Prima Maxi saddlebag purely because the size is perfect for day rides and it's got quick and easy access.
Then for longer rides, it's either the Barley, then the lowsaddle long-flap or Nelson long-flap. These last two I use for for touring. With the lowsaddle long-flap and Super C barbag I can carry enough for a short tour (4/5 days).

I have also asked Carradice to make a smaller version of thier courier bag to use for day rides on bikes with no carrier/luggage fittings. The large courier bag is brilliant. It now gets used as hand luggage when flying. It's all I take. Much better than waiting at the carousel!
aide555

Post by aide555 »

I've got a SQR tour and it's great, I use it every day for my commute. the SQR bracket is great and doesn't move and the build quality is fantastic. The only downside is you will need a fair amount of seat post showing.
niggle

Post by niggle »

I am short, 5'6", so I only have enough room between saddle and mudguard for a Junior or a Pendle. I went for the Junior on my 'best bike' because it was plenty big enough at 9 litres for what I want to take on that bike on bad weather longer rides. In good weather with no need for waterproofs I swap it for a largish saddle pack, about 4 litres. I have a rack on my commuter and my folder and use a Super C Rack Bag on those, and/or one or two panniers as required.

In the Junior I can comfortably fit: waterproof, waterproof trousers, shoe covers, Minimorph pump, multi tool, spare tube, puncture kit, two lamps with Li battery packs, zip ties, extra jersey, biscuits, banana, wallet. This is plenty of kit for me for a winter audax ride.

If the OP has a rack for the Vaude panniers he mentioned I would suggest he could just use one or both of those for the day trips out with his wife, and get a saddle bag only to meet the needs of the bad weather sportives, but that is just how I see things.
JINKY230

Post by JINKY230 »

Niggle thanks for the post I see you picked up on the vaude panniers I have ,I have been using the one pannier when out with the wife but the only thing is the rack is on my hybrid and it restricts me when I want to use a road bike this was the reason I was looking down the carradice route .I also like the earlier post regarding the 8lt saddle pack the carradice C and I noticed a saddlebag called the glentress 5lts I am wondering if this size is better for sportives, it seems once you start loking there is just so much choice ,it started off looking at a carradice saddle bag now it has progressed to { is that bag too big or that one too small or do i need a bag support or no bag support and so so )its like buying cheese in the super market just too much choice,as a scotsman would say (my heid is wasted)

again guys thanks for all the replies and as this is my first post I can't say enough of the help and friendliness of the forum
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

I'd add that the quick release/bag rest, although expensive, is a really well thought out, effective piece of kit. I use it with a Barley. And for what it is worth I reckon the Barley is really only a day ride bag, if you want everything inside.
JINKY230

Post by JINKY230 »

Hi guys back again for more advice, I have decided on the nelson longflap however with not having a lot of seatpost above the frame do I need to change my option to the low saddle bag.I am hoping to use the bag with the q/r support, any help to clarify appreciated.

I was thinking of going for the green and honey basically because my bike has brooks honey saddle and brooks honey tape,but I was wondering why some people go for the black is there a reason --eg - colour degrading,hides dirt or is it basically just for looks

I was also wondering if you buy a nelson with the expedition support could this support also be used with the barley if bought at a later date or would you need to buy the sport support as well

thanks

jinky230
johnb

Post by johnb »

Jinky230, do a Google search for carradice nelson longflap, when the results show click on the images tab and you will see lots of pics of the bag on different size bikes. You might see something similar in size to your bike and get a better idea of what the sizing is.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

HI Jinky - the Carradice website has a lot of information which should help your. E.g. here are the dimensions of the Expedition support, which should tell you whether you have enough seatpost height.

I'm sure you could use a Barley on an Expedition - it shouldn't matter if the bottom of the bag doesn't reach down to the base of the support as with a small bag there won't be much weight anyway. You will still be able to attach the rear strap to stop swaying, and the frame will keep the bag off the back of your thighs.

But you can always contact Carradice and ask them - they are very helpful.

You'll probably see more black bags than green because I think the green ones are fairly recent. Personally I prefer black, partly because it goes with everything but mainly because it doesn't show the dirt. Both the green and the black ones do eventually fade a bit but can be restored with some Nikwax or Carradice's own wax.
Bowland Rider

Post by Bowland Rider »

aide555 wrote:I've got a SQR tour and it's great, I use it every day for my commute. the SQR bracket is great and doesn't move and the build quality is fantastic. The only downside is you will need a fair amount of seat post showing.

Sorry to hijack this thread ;) Do you get a lot of bag sway with the SQR tour? I was thinking of getting a Nelson longflap with a QR bagman as i thought it would be more supportive than the SQR uplift system.
johnb

Re:

Post by johnb »

Bowland Rider wrote:
aide555 wrote:I've got a SQR tour and it's great, I use it every day for my commute. the SQR bracket is great and doesn't move and the build quality is fantastic. The only downside is you will need a fair amount of seat post showing.

Sorry to hijack this thread ;) Do you get a lot of bag sway with the SQR tour? I was thinking of getting a Nelson longflap with a QR bagman as i thought it would be more supportive than the SQR uplift system.

I use a Sqr Tour loaded to the hilt and have never noticed any sway. I suppose a lot depends on the bike and style of riding ( standing while peddling )
aide555

Post by aide555 »

No sway on my SQR either. The bracket is a very simple but clever device that works really well. Just make sure that you have enough seat post showing.
LollyKat

Re: Re:

Post by LollyKat »

johnb wrote:I use a Sqr Tour loaded to the hilt and have never noticed any sway.

What size bag, though? A Nelson longflap loaded to the hilt could be pretty heavy, and it is quite wide.
johnb

Re: Re:

Post by johnb »

LollyKat wrote:
johnb wrote:I use a Sqr Tour loaded to the hilt and have never noticed any sway.

What size bag, though? A Nelson longflap loaded to the hilt could be pretty heavy, and it is quite wide.

As I said, a Sqr Tour, there only is one size.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Oops, sorry - didn't take it in properly. That looks rather good and might fit the OP's frame better.