best tyre levers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cols3064
Posts: 276
Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 8:56am

best tyre levers

Postby cols3064 » 16 Mar 2012, 7:59pm

can any one recommend some tyre levers as you seem to wrestle tyres on and off these days

Ant
Posts: 275
Joined: 13 Feb 2007, 2:05pm

Re: best tyre levers

Postby Ant » 16 Mar 2012, 8:04pm

Pdw 3wrencho. Best ever, assuming you have bolt on hubs...

User avatar
Alex L
Posts: 625
Joined: 13 Sep 2011, 12:31am
Location: Staffordshire

Re: best tyre levers

Postby Alex L » 16 Mar 2012, 8:09pm

I used to have to wrestle on my tyres and found these to be great:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-tl1c-tyre-levers/

But now, my new tyres slip on with just my thumbs :)

User avatar
Swallow
Posts: 887
Joined: 4 Feb 2010, 10:13am
Location: Cornwall

Re: best tyre levers

Postby Swallow » 16 Mar 2012, 9:06pm

'Kernow bys Vyken'

Ayesha
Posts: 4192
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 9:54am

Re: best tyre levers

Postby Ayesha » 16 Mar 2012, 9:29pm


User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5223
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: best tyre levers

Postby cycleruk » 16 Mar 2012, 9:37pm

Metal ones.
Similar to these:-
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/icetoolz-ice ... prod17810/

Just check for any sharp edges to start with, smooth them off so they don't nip the tube.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13785
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: best tyre levers

Postby gaz » 16 Mar 2012, 9:40pm

VAR tyre lever is great although I prefer to have an extra lever to help take the tyre off.

For those really stubborn tyres a Simson tyre mate is even better. It's a bit "workshop" size, so not too good for carrying around.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

User avatar
easyroller
Posts: 523
Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 8:05am
Location: Berkshire

Re: best tyre levers

Postby easyroller » 19 Mar 2012, 5:27pm

Well my Wilkinson plastic tyre levers are still going strong after around 3 years and lots of use.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/bike-acces ... t/0011468/

Cost me around £1 for three (although I only ever carry two in my saddle bag).

User avatar
ferrit worrier
Posts: 5243
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 7:58pm
Location: south Manchester

Re: best tyre levers

Postby ferrit worrier » 19 Mar 2012, 5:40pm

try these little beauties. I had trouble with replacing a tyre in Peebles last year and the local bike shop sorted me out using a pair of these, so I bought them :D brilliant

ooops just edited it should have been Peebles not pebbles :oops:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

roadvader
Posts: 116
Joined: 9 Feb 2012, 9:05pm

Re: best tyre levers

Postby roadvader » 19 Mar 2012, 9:15pm

been using pedros for years,i mean any tyre leavers are ok,just dont be to greedy when taking it off,little bit at a time then alls fine.
:)
sorry love not tonight im shaving my legs...

User avatar
andrew_s
Posts: 4994
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 9:29pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: best tyre levers

Postby andrew_s » 19 Mar 2012, 10:59pm

ferrit worrier wrote:try these little beauties. I had trouble with replacing a tyre in Peebles last year and the local bike shop sorted me out using a pair of these, so I bought them :D brilliant

ooops just edited it should have been Peebles not pebbles :oops:

It might have been more to the point if you'd edited your post to tell us what "these little beauties" are :roll:

I'm like cycleruk - I stick to steel levers (Lezyne Sabre for home use).

Plastic levers bend, break, or are too fat to fit under a tight tyre bead to start levering it off.
The Var tool is useful for refitting a tight tyre, but if the tyre is tight enough to need it for refitting, it's too tight to get off using the Var so you've got to carry steel levers as well.

User avatar
Steve Kish
Posts: 714
Joined: 11 Sep 2010, 9:50pm

Re: best tyre levers

Postby Steve Kish » 20 Mar 2012, 10:28am

Old enough to know better but too young to care.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47082
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: best tyre levers

Postby Mick F » 20 Mar 2012, 10:40am

easyroller wrote:........... (although I only ever carry two in my saddle bag).
I carry three with me, though goodness knows why. I've only ever needed two tyre levers to take a tyre off.

Why do they sell them in threes?
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Steve Kish
Posts: 714
Joined: 11 Sep 2010, 9:50pm

Re: best tyre levers

Postby Steve Kish » 20 Mar 2012, 10:43am

Why do they sell them in threes?


... for the one that you lend to a mate, who breaks it, swears he's gonna replace it and needs reminding fifteen times before he coughs up. :wink:
Old enough to know better but too young to care.

User avatar
ferrit worrier
Posts: 5243
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 7:58pm
Location: south Manchester

Re: best tyre levers

Postby ferrit worrier » 21 Mar 2012, 8:43pm

andrew_s wrote:
ferrit worrier wrote:try these little beauties. I had trouble with replacing a tyre in Peebles last year and the local bike shop sorted me out using a pair of these, so I bought them :D brilliant

ooops just edited it should have been Peebles not pebbles :oops:

It might have been more to the point if you'd edited your post to tell us what "these little beauties" are :roll:

I'm like cycleruk - I stick to steel levers (Lezyne Sabre for home use).

Plastic levers bend, break, or are too fat to fit under a tight tyre bead to start levering it off.
The Var tool is useful for refitting a tight tyre, but if the tyre is tight enough to need it for refitting, it's too tight to get off using the Var so you've got to carry steel levers as well.

:oops: :oops: :oops: I'll get onto it, Doh

here we are http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/36027443 ... s&var=sbar
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.