'Short' ladies cycle shorts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SJSBrompton

'Short' ladies cycle shorts

Post by SJSBrompton »

Anyone know of any decent padded shorts that don't end at the lower thigh area, and don't cost a small fortune (like Gore ones do)? Preferably black.

I ride a Brompton in normal clothes but with the shorts, or 3/4 tights (both from Tenn Outdoors), hidden underneath and in the winter, over the standard ladies black opaque tights that I wear with my office clothes.

However, now that the weather is changing, it will soon be time to get rid of the black opaques, and I like to ride in a short(ish) a line skirt, usually around mid thigh or just above the knee. Standard length shorts show below the hem. I do have one pair (although they are lilac), of Scott shorts that I picked up in a random TKMaxx run, but I have never seen them anywhere else. They have very short legs (like a mans boxer) but a really good quality padding.

I have looked at the cycling specific undershorts, but have yet to find a pair with decent padding - the ones I have found have a lightweight fleece padding rather than the proper shaped padding that is on my other shorts. I'm a sensitive soul.
iandriver

Re: 'Short' ladies cycle shorts

Post by iandriver »

My wife found some of the triathlon kit came up shorter, maybe worth a look. example:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-ladies-cool-bike-boxer/
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You could of course cut them off and hem them.

What I don't like about "modern" shorts is the awful leg-grippers!
I cut them out - shorts are modifiable to some degree.
Mick F. Cornwall
Masher

Post by Masher »

yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Mick F wrote:You could of course cut them off and hem them.

I'm with you Mick I also hate that leg gripper thing.
I cut my shorts down as I hate to have a suntan half way down your legs, mine are more like hot pants :shock:
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

yakdiver wrote:

I cut my shorts down as I hate to have a suntan half way down your legs, mine are more like hot pants :shock:

I clicked on this topic hoping for some excitement and got yakdiver in hotpants.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

blackbike wrote:
yakdiver wrote:

I clicked on this topic hoping for some excitement and got yakdiver in hotpants.

well your not having a photo :oops:
broadway

Post by broadway »

yakdiver wrote:
blackbike wrote:
yakdiver wrote:

well your not having a photo :oops:

I can only say thanks for sparing us :D
Hebe

Post by Hebe »

Debbie at Minx has been really helpful to me in the past - I have Gore and Sheila Moon liners from her - http://www.minx-girl.com/category/underwear/40/0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0/1 . Not affiliated, just grateful.
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

Have you seen this?
http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/WomensRiderRange_03289?ocode=03289B56
They also do a men's one.
Haven't actually seen one.
SJSBrompton

Post by SJSBrompton »

Bert

That would be perfect - though I will have to order one to see how it fixes into anything. Its exactly the right type of pad though, I have these in my Tenn Outdoors and Scott shorts. I could probably put them inside some cheap hotpant length running shorts.

Masher - thanks for the Corinne Dennis link - I will probably just buy the 3/4 length shorts in the denim colour and wear them as is though, I like the look of those.

Hebe - Minx Girl is blocked at work :( but I love her stuff generally, am waiting to see if she brings in any more of the coverup mini skirts, the nice bright coloured ones - a few more degrees out there (glorious today!) and the legs and arms will be out (still a bit chilly at 7am when I leave the house).