Wheel sizes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cricklewood_graeme

Wheel sizes

Post by cricklewood_graeme »

I have an old 3 speed steel frame bike that serves me very well but the chrome plated steel wheels take 26 X 1 1/4 tyres.
At some stage I would like to replace these wheels with alloys because they are lighter and better in the wet. Also tyres of this size are very hard to come by. I don't think I can buy alloy wheels this size off the shelf any more. Not even sure I can get wheels made up for me as I don't know where I would get alloy rims this size. What options do I have (apart from ditching the bike).
ukdodger

Re: Wheel sizes

Post by ukdodger »

cricklewood_graeme wrote:I have an old 3 speed steel frame bike that serves me very well but the chrome plated steel wheels take 26 X 1 1/4 tyres.
At some stage I would like to replace these wheels with alloys because they are lighter and better in the wet. Also tyres of this size are very hard to come by. I don't think I can buy alloy wheels this size off the shelf any more. Not even sure I can get wheels made up for me as I don't know where I would get alloy rims this size. What options do I have (apart from ditching the bike).

Such a shame I love those old chrome rims. Nothing today looks as good and yes you had to brake sooner than alloy in the wet but later in the dry and with those rims the pads wore out not the rim. But to each his own. Good luck finding your tyres. Have you tried eBay?