Why don't more people ride pedelecs?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

Re: Why don't more people ride pedelecs?

Post by danfoto »

Trigger wrote:Driving and car ownership is too much of a status symbol over here and less to do with basic, convenient transport. Cycling is looked on as something the poor would do, after all, why would you cycle if you could afford a car, old chap? It goes back to adopting the American mentality that I mentioned earlier.

Europeans haven't adopted the "must have it yesterday" approach to life as much as we have, they are much more laid back in their approach to everything. Cars are a must to maintain the crazy rat race we've created, to revert back to how it was would take some catastrophic event IMHO.

Oh top man! I bow before your greatness, for I am sure you have summed it up most perfectly.

Alas, I fear that the catastrophic event will not happen in my lifetime :cry:
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Trigger wrote:It's just my opinion but I think over the years we've slowly gone down the American ideal of energy saving equipment/lifestyle as the ultimate goal, we've drifted away from the simpler way of life of our closer European cousins and simultaneously wallowed into a life of convenience and obesity.

I share that opinion.

E-bikes haven't taken off because they are souped-up bikes, and Brits don't like bikes. We worship cars. E-bikes aren't seen as substitutes for cars.

Rationally, e-bikes can substitute for cars. For example, 98% of car journeys are less than 50 miles (DfT NTS0308), so distance isn't an issue. The economics of e-bikes compared to cars is a no-brainer. But our addiction to cars has little to do with rationality.
karlt

Post by karlt »

snibgo wrote:
Trigger wrote:It's just my opinion but I think over the years we've slowly gone down the American ideal of energy saving equipment/lifestyle as the ultimate goal, we've drifted away from the simpler way of life of our closer European cousins and simultaneously wallowed into a life of convenience and obesity.

I share that opinion.

E-bikes haven't taken off because they are souped-up bikes, and Brits don't like bikes. We worship cars. E-bikes aren't seen as substitutes for cars.

Rationally, e-bikes can substitute for cars. For example, 98% of car journeys are less than 50 miles (DfT NTS0308), so distance isn't an issue. The economics of e-bikes compared to cars is a no-brainer. But our addiction to cars has little to do with rationality.

Erm - 45 miles at 15mph as opposed to 50mph "not an issue" - I think for a lot of people it rather might be. My parents live 30 miles away. For me, on my own, if I have all day to do there and back (and the following day to recover) I can cycle it, but I don't think an e-bike would get me, Mrs Karlt and three young kids there. Do you?

If you were talking <10 miles you might start to have a point.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

You mean that speed (as opposed to distance) is an issue.

Agreed. It's even an issue for the 55% of car trips that are under 5 miles. Or the 77% of trips that are under 10 miles.
karlt

Post by karlt »

snibgo wrote:You mean that speed (as opposed to distance) is an issue.

Agreed. It's even an issue for the 55% of car trips that are under 5 miles. Or the 77% of trips that are under 10 miles.

Well, with Mrs KarlT and the kids, distance would be an issue as well. I think you're more realistic looking into the ones that are under a mile or two. That'd make a big dent and there you're looking at some journeys where speed is the issue rather than both speed and distance.

I'm reasonably able-bodied but even I can't actually manage the 29 mile round trip to work and back on the bike every day. I sometimes think that people who are able to do this sort of thing fail to realise that they're actually fairly exceptional.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Yes. If I had a 29-mile round-trip commute, I'd look seriously at e-bikes. As horizon suggests above, they are ideal solutions for a fairly narrow band of problems.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

danfoto wrote:............Alas, I fear that the catastrophic event will not happen in my lifetime :cry:

I wouldn't bet on it if I were you!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

snibgo wrote:

I share that opinion.

I agree.
Add to that the fear factor,both being regarded as "poor" or worse still "odd" by the Jone's, and the perception that the roads are "dangerous" you can see clearly why Mr&Mrs Average UK are so stupid!
But some are learning sloooooowly :|
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tonyishuk

Post by tonyishuk »

Having started life on a Raleigh with rod brakes and three speed sturmley archer gears, took up the new fangled ideas, like wire brake cables and funny cogs on a the back wheel ?? then onto tandems, my wife and I have a couple of Freego Eagle electric bikes and very good they are too ! (50 miles on a battery and about 12 mph average speed on a journey.) Cost less than my daughters bikes !

I think that some of the reasons that Pedlecs are not used as much ast they could be are;

Paranoia about cycling in general, lets face it its a bl@@dy cite more dangerous on the road than when I was a nipper or even latter in life. Cycling now seems to be more to do with the fitness aspect than getting to work. You can spend less on a car than most good quality bikes, and arrive in the dry not all hot and sweaty.

Cost I agree with comments about the Halfords, Tescos buy a bike brigade.

Weight of the Pedlec, ours clock in at about 27Kgs each with batteries. And thats with an magnesium frame.

Secure storage, apart from the scrap value, there is a nice little earner from a battery, not the sort of item to leave on the High Street bike park. Its obvious its expensive, whilst expensive bikes are not ! (unless you haver got the give away clues like wheels, carbon fibre frames etc)

We use ours for short, light shopping trips in town and when we go off in our M/home. Its a cheap and easy way to travel compared with taking a motor scooter or trailing a car. Plan B, use the bus pass or hire a car.

Very pleased with the Feego bikes, we can travel a fair distance, much further than if we had to pedal. whilst enjoying riding away from the traffic.

and we keep an eye on the Pedelec forum to keep up with life !

Rgds
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

snibgo wrote:

I share that opinion.

It's all a bit sad really. I saw a program a while ago looking into America's obesity problem and they showed you around a few suburban neighbourhoods where there weren't even any pavements, so you couldn't even walk to the shop if you wanted to! It was drive or bust :(

Got me thinking about how long before we see similar here.

But when you see programs in Europe it's the opposite- the similar size towns to where most of us live they still grow a lot of their own veg, buy locally grown produce at farmers markets, eat well but do enough exercise to stay healthy enough, proper breaks in the day for real meals etc etc..

Little wonder half the country is on anti depressants, but don't worry, just keep banging in the 80 hour weeks so you can afford that 60" TV and new car to replace the one that is only 18 months old.

Oops, gone off on one haven't I. :oops:
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Time for a pic. One I saw in Holland last year:

Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Perfect.

Over here she would be passed by a load of cars with the occupants all staring in disbelief at the 'mad dog-on-a-bike lady'.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Incidentally, in Holland and Denmark light mopeds share cycle lanes/paths with bicycles and helmets are not mandatory.
A friend from Holland was staying with us for a holiday. A typical Dutch cyclist he commuted and rode between work places by bike. He tried my fixed wheel track bike and upright trike in the garden but declined the loan of a road bike to go out for a ride as he felt that our roads were too dangerous.

2 weeks after returning home when riding on a cycle path he was hit by a moped and sustained a broken leg.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I once briefly owned a Honda 50/70 (?) to cover an awkward 17 mile journey across south London. I ditched it for the car despite the traffic - it was much slower. Eventually I used the bike and train and this was easily the best. Of course there are people who appreciate the power boost but for those of us who don't see it as outweighing the weight and cost, it isn't enough to displace the bike. And, like the Honda 70, it doesn't displace the car.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
GeoffBrassn

Post by GeoffBrassn »

I've been riding my electric bike (Juicy brand) for years. I'm European living in a hilly part of Derbyshire. The reason I ride one is enjoyment and cost. The balance between exercise and purpose is just right - I get both! The car is for rainy days. They will become more understood and used, especially as fuel costs rise.