Alternative to my current rain jacket?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bikes4two

Alternative to my current rain jacket?

Post by bikes4two »

My Altura Pocket Rocket, now in it's 4th year, has sadly reached 'life end' (inner layer peeling away from outer fabric).

The absolute plus points for this jacket where its Hi-Viz colour, water proofness and above all else, it's very small 'pack size (scrunches up into a small bag about the size of a large coffee mug). It's only small negative point for me was the shortish back length, but otherwise, I love it!

Before I get another one, are there any possible alternatives - must haves are:

a. Waterproof (as near as can be expected of course)
b. small pack size
c. hi-viz (yellow, orange or green)

Thanks in anticipation.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
AndyK

Re: Alternative to my current rain jacket?

Post by AndyK »

Very happy with my Polaris Neutron - or at least, I was until I came off on the ice in December and ripped holes in it. The holes are patched up but it's not quite the same. :( For me the clincher between that and the Altura was that the Neutron has a handy waterproof zipped pocket on the front - not big enough for a map, but useful nonetheless. It packs into a jersey pocket but is made of a material that doesn't rustle as much as many lightweight waterproofs do. Mine's just the orange side of red but I think there's a yellow too.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I can sort of recommend a DHB Signal jacket from those folks at wiggle. It has 2 side pockets and a big rear one and under-arm zippers for heat control. I used mine in a bit of a torrential downpour about 2 weeks ago and stayed perfectly dry. Its does suffer from being short at the back though and its the only downpour I've used it in so far, hence the sort of recommended. I've no idea what it's going to be like long term but so far I'm happy with it. £47 ish.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-signal-jacket-2011/
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

- Thanks Andy and Bill - some food for thought there.
- The Neutron although very nice and I suspect, better than the Pocket Rocket, is more than I was hoping to pay but???
- The dhb Signal does indeed receive user comment about being short length so might give it a miss
- However, looking at the Wiggle site has drawn my eye to two other possibilities (1) the dhb Minima S and (2) the Altura Night Vision Flyte. Both sets of reader reviews mention nothing of being short in length either - hmmm. Anyone have experience of either of these?

And have also spotted the Endura Photon - any views on this one?
jamesofyorkshire

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

I picked up an orange one from Aldi 2 or 3 years ago. They were £8.99 or so, but the following week were on offer at £2.99 to move them so I picked one up. It's taken preference over my Altura and other expensive jackets ever since! Light, packs small, and was waterproof a long time. It's pretty much on its' last legs now though.

I'm setting off from Harrogate today heading to South Germany on the bike. Forecast is lousy this week so not a good time to go. Can't make my mind up whether to take the Crane (Aldi) jacket or a more waterproof one. More substantial jacket will be better the next few days but thereafter I'm hoping I wont need it.
When I get across the water I'm hoping the weather will improve a bit and the Crane jacket is a lot smaller and lighter so packs away better and I don't mind carrying it. If I take my more waterproof jacket I may end up hauling it thousands of miles and not using it, carrying it's extra weight (150gms more) and it takes up a lot more space.
Decisions, decisions.
g00se

Post by g00se »

Craft Performance Rain Jacket is good - and I find Craft kit longer than most. the RRP is high, but there are some discounted ones out there. [url]
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Hi goose,
That's a funny hyper-link you've got there - with a title like "getnastycomputervirushere", I don't think I'll click on that! has your posting been hacked?

Whilst in my LBS this morning I tried a couple of jackets: the Altura Pocket Rocket (PR) and the Montane Featherlite Velo H2O Jacket both priced the same. I took the Montane because:
1. The PR jacket kength was as mentioned in my OP, still on the short side (don't manufacturers listen to feed-back?)
2. The Montane was
- within a few milligrammes, the same very light weight (180gm including the netting stuff-sac),
- hi viz and more reflective 'bits'
- had a vent in rear panel
- better zip and storm flap (Altura ones always seem to want to get jammed in the zip!)
- longer length in both the front and back
- stuff-sac had a velcro loop: good for attaching to things (PR doesn't)
- hem cord for adjustment - this is going to be useful as one of the criticisms of the PR is that on windy days and ascents, the jacket tends to ride up the back.

As yet untested of course, but I'm off to France for a long trip very soon: if I'm lucky I WON'T be able to report on it's waterproof-ness, but that's probably too much to hope for :cry:
g00se

Post by g00se »

Cheers - odd - it only seems to happen when posting about 'pro bike kit' website.

If I type those three works together (pro bike kit) it posts as GetNastyComputerVirusHere.

So try this removing the underscores...

http://www.pro_bike_kit.com/uk/clothing ... acket.html
roadvader

Post by roadvader »

I have a hi viv orange polaris aqua lite extreme and it's amazing,eBay or wiggle I think :)
sorry love not tonight im shaving my legs...
g00se

Post by g00se »

GetNastyComputerVirusHere

Just tried a different pc with a different OS and the same thing happened, so I guess it's some kind of erroneous rewrite rule on the ctc forum
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I have tried a large and extra large Polaris Aqualite Extreme and I can't get my arms in either. The forearm sleeves are very narrow. I am not exactly Popeye but my arms do not fit the sleeves. Grump cos it seemed like just what I was looking for. Parker International have them btw
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I like my Goretex Paclite.
It ticks all the boxes.
Mick F. Cornwall
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

g00se wrote:GetNastyComputerVirusHere

Just tried a different pc with a different OS and the same thing happened, so I guess it's some kind of erroneous rewrite rule on the ctc forum

Erroneous? Looks worryingly like a site admin with either a grudge or a very feeble sense of humour. I've just tried it and I get the same as you. Any mention of pro bike kit (with the spaces removed) gets rewritten to GetNastyComputerVirusHere when you preview or submit.
g00se

Post by g00se »

Looks like the grudge has lasted a while :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=GetNa ... 00&bih=815
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Found it. See moderator Graham's note at the bottom of this page:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44772

Bear in mind the forum pages are generated dynamically, so just because the 2008 page says "GetNastyComputerVirusHere" now doesn't mean it said that back in 2008.

Even so, this dates back to at least Dec 2010, well over a year. Maybe it's like doping offences and Graham will rehabilitate them after two years.