Breakfast

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nez

Re: Breakfast

Post by nez »

meic wrote:Jordan's crunchy toasted Granola with real milk and two piping hot mugs of tea.
The drawback is getting the milk at the right time and keeping it fresh.

Get used to tea with no milk. If you go out cycling it's so liberating.
meic

Post by meic »

I cant break the habit of a lifetime.

Milk and its transport is my great unresolved issue when cycle camping.

The UHT containers leak, even when upright.
The dried milk doesnt mix well.

So far, I set off with a frozen 500cc plastic milk bottle. Then I buy replacements for that as I go along throwing most of it away every second day.
Yma o Hyd
roadvader

Post by roadvader »

Pack of fags an 5 bacon rolls

:lol:
sorry love not tonight im shaving my legs...
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

mattsccm wrote:The most important bit of a trip.
Trying to widen my experiences a bit. What breakfat do you lot eat when cycle camping. Mine is usually several sachest of microwave readibrek with condensed milk added plus hot water. Its a bit tasteless and doesn't really re-constitute well. Add things like malt loaf etc plus tortillas left from previuos night.
There must be something more interesting.
Rules. I refuse to have instant de-hy or boil in th bag things. 1 pan maximum.
Maybe I should go continental? Who has the most exotic? That has a virtue in that it will annoy my mates. :lol:

Yer right about the Redibrek. I always take a bagfull even when hotelling. I spoon some into a plastic bowl and add hot water. Doesnt taste very nice but it's the next best thing to porridge which every cyclist should have on rides.

Oh that's in a addition to a full english.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

RickH wrote:For coffee I tend to pack instant cappuccinos which have everything in one sachet, generally better than trying to add dried milk to ordinary instant IMHO.

Rick.

Good idea - I shall try it in a couple of week's time.

And porridge oats - yes, they are a bit nicer and only take a bit longer!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

meic wrote:I cant break the habit of a lifetime.

Milk and its transport is my great unresolved issue when cycle camping.

The UHT containers leak, even when upright.
The dried milk doesnt mix well.

So far, I set off with a frozen 500cc plastic milk bottle. Then I buy replacements for that as I go along throwing most of it away every second day.

Wouldn't a small aluminium bottle like this help with the leaking:

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/travel ... ?cl=COBALT

They weight next to nothing. For tea, if you take sugar, give Carnation in the squeezy tube a try. Take it away every time now.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
John-D

Post by John-D »

Slowroad wrote:
RickH wrote:For coffee I tend to pack instant cappuccinos which have everything in one sachet, generally better than trying to add dried milk to ordinary instant IMHO.

Rick.

Or alternatively a cafetier:
Attachments
PICT0155a.JPG
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

Lakeland does a small Thermos flask suitable for milk.
I've used a screw top plastic Nalgene bottle which is ok if the milk doesn't get too warm.
Thank goodness for soup.
meic

Post by meic »

My worry is that the containers would not be clean and cause the milk to go off quickly.
If I am reusing containers then I am happy enough to use the standard plastic milk bottles, possibly I was worrying over something that wouldnt happen and I can just decant UHT into another container.
Yma o Hyd
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

meic wrote:My worry is that the containers would not be clean and cause the milk to go off quickly.
If I am reusing containers then I am happy enough to use the standard plastic milk bottles, possibly I was worrying over something that wouldnt happen and I can just decant UHT into another container.

If you are staying on a proper campsite you can wash your container to make sure its clean. I usually carry milk in a vacuum flask and wash it before I refill it. For breakfast when camping I like cereal and buy a pint of milk from the campsite shop in the morning, most of it has gone by the time I've used it on my cornflakes and had a couple of mugs of tea so transporting isn't usually a problem as I've thrown the container away.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Kenco make very nice coffee with whitener in sachets, called Two in One or you can get 'em with sugar as well as Three in One. Tesco sell them here in Ireland and I imagine in England. I don't camp but am in the habit of making coffee in remote places when touring. The old Jetboil or similar with this stuff is great.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Meic - I know what you mean about carrying milk. I found though that I can quite easily use a liter of milk. If you buy some from a shop at the end of the day, drink most of it and have some left for tea in the morning.

As for breakfast - in France - anything that comes to hand - stale French bread fried in olive oil is nice, as French bread goes stale very quickly.
In hotter climes - Cold Can of Coke and a Bounty bar from the first petrol station that you come to !

Sorry, coming from the Channel Islands all my cycle touring has been off the Island on the continent, and so have never done any touring in Britain. :(
welshwoodsman

Post by welshwoodsman »

As much as I'd love a full breakfast, it has to be porridge. I buy quality oats, then blitz them in a blender. Add powdered milk and dried fruit. Add water, bring to boil, then take off heat,place pot in homemade cosy. Leave for ten minutes to cook on its own whilst packing away kit. Because you haven't boiled it to death it hasn't stuck to the pan. When your done,make a brew in pot and hey presto,clean. :)
John-D

Post by John-D »

Mattie wrote:As for breakfast - in France - anything that comes to hand - stale French bread fried in olive oil is nice, as French bread goes stale very quickly.

I prefer to delay breakfast until after the first boulangerie.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

John-D wrote:
Slowroad wrote:

Rick.

Or alternatively a cafetier:

Chapeau! I however have one of these http://www.peglers.co.uk/ortlieb-coffee-filter-holder/ which is brilliant. Last time I cycle camped I did myself porridge plus some bread for breakfast. What I should have done was NOT to buy a load of bananas in one go plus 1kg bags for porridge and raisins all for two days! (I landed up chucking tons of food away). These are not bad for a quick and easy breakfast (http://www.quaker.co.uk/products/oat-so-simple-pots) but pricey.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly