Breakfast

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

Re: Breakfast

Post by simonineaston »

Love those pix, john_d! Were you in France? Bread looks French... I don't carry any cooking gear when I cycle-tour in France, because I find I can get such great food suitable to take with me. :-)
I don't think I've ever been through a village worth calling a village without passing a baker's selling all sort of almost irresistible goodies, including yer usual croissants and assorted other yummies, packed with fruit & cream - Oh Yes! I don't know what time they open - they must get up before I do, though!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
nez

Post by nez »

welshwoodsman wrote:As much as I'd love a full breakfast, it has to be porridge. I buy quality oats, then blitz them in a blender. Add powdered milk and dried fruit. Add water, bring to boil, then take off heat,place pot in homemade cosy. Leave for ten minutes to cook on its own whilst packing away kit. Because you haven't boiled it to death it hasn't stuck to the pan. When your done,make a brew in pot and hey presto,clean. :)

What does blitzing them in a blender do? I mean apart from making them smaller.
RickH

Post by RickH »

John-D wrote:Or alternatively a cafetier:

Next time I do any serious cycle-camping I may pack the Drip-O-Lator, an item inherited from Mrs H's parents.

It is a non-powered coffee filter consisting of a jug with a filter part with fine holes in to take the ground coffee that fits in the top, plus a "header tank" (also with fine holes in the bottom - but fewer than the filter part) marked 2 cup & 4 cup & finally a lid which fits either the header or the jug. It weigh in at about 350g but will take up next to no space if things are packed inside for transit.

It says on the bottom
Drip-O-Lator
The better Drip Coffee Maker
Trade Mark...
Patent Nos...
Made only by the Entreprise Aluminum Co
Massillon Ohio USA

I've no idea how old it is - but it ain't exactly new :wink:
IMG_2944_e (Small).jpg

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
welshwoodsman

Post by welshwoodsman »

nez dans le guidon wrote:
welshwoodsman wrote:As much as I'd love a full breakfast, it has to be porridge. I buy quality oats, then blitz them in a blender. Add powdered milk and dried fruit. Add water, bring to boil, then take off heat,place pot in homemade cosy. Leave for ten minutes to cook on its own whilst packing away kit. Because you haven't boiled it to death it hasn't stuck to the pan. When your done,make a brew in pot and hey presto,clean. :)

What does blitzing them in a blender do? I mean apart from making them smaller.

Saves cooking time. They cook better in a pot cozy,less lumps. Also saves on fuel then,so it lasts longer.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

largeallan wrote:Is it just me?....There's something I can't stand about washing out my trangia pots in the morning, so for me, its always an uncooked breakfast. Plenty of coffee, a packet of jaffa cakes and as many fags as I can smoke. Sets me up nicely for a mornings pedalling, and I can nibble along the way as my appetite grows.

Smoking and cycling in most certainly virtuous, but not only that, its healthy, nutritious and certainly seems to annoy some ;)

I hereby declare this post to be wonderful.

Thank you.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

Haha, thanks Dan :lol:

Forgotten I'd posted that....anyway, I'm now on my 20th day of not smoking and was searching the forum to see ifany others had quit while cycling.