carrying a huge smartphone!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bigbloke
Location: Upon my saddle! - in South Wales or wherever work takes me this week

Re: carrying a huge smartphone!

Postby bigbloke » 27 May 2012, 10:44pm

type "iphone cycle carrier" into ebay and you will be presented with a plethora of options

I used to run my HTC desire in a "fiver from china" bracket on the bar stem. It worked
fine, but due to the angle of the rider relative to the screen, if I was wearing a flo-jacket
I couldn't see the damned screen ! just the reflection from the flo!

I ended up replacing it with a Garmin Edge 800.

and people leave me in peace on the bike now :)

regards

BB

P.S. If I need a bigger map screen, I put the desire in the map holder pocket of the bar bag

LANDSURFER74

Postby LANDSURFER74 » 27 May 2012, 11:17pm

I have the perfect solution ..... dont carry a phone ...ever ...... any type of phone..... If i can run a succesful multi national engineering bussiness without one they are not that important, are they........ :D ..... "In touch, 24 / 7" .... sounds like a prision sentance to me !!!!
Yes ...i'm over 50 !!!

johnb

Postby johnb » 28 May 2012, 12:02am

LANDSURFER74 wrote:I have the perfect solution ..... dont carry a phone ...ever ...... any type of phone..... If i can run a succesful multi national engineering bussiness without one they are not that important, are they........ :D ..... "In touch, 24 / 7" .... sounds like a prision sentance to me !!!!
Yes ...i'm over 50 !!!

You must take the same approach with the use of a dictionary.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.

LANDSURFER74

Postby LANDSURFER74 » 28 May 2012, 7:48am

The addiction to devices, gagets and social media is somewhat baffling to me.
I have no need to make myself feel important by "tweeting", baring my soul on Facebook or letting the world know of every banal twist and turn in my life.
But most inportantly i do not wish to be tracked 24 / 7.
While you follow the route on your GPS someone is following you!
IMEI codes, loyalty cards, devices various, all amount to self imposed, and apparantly welcomed permission for goverment and commerce to track your every move and thought.
Cycling is an escape for me, mile after mile without anyone interupting.
And if you break down deal with it, fix or walk, life can be easy if you want.

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 28 May 2012, 8:18am

I crashed once and was taken to Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital Spinal Injuries Dept.
I had my phone with me. It was a lonely lane early on Sunday morning. It took quite a while to describe exactly where I was because I was looking up at overhanging branches and couldn't see a roadsign. All I knew was the last junction and which direction I was riding.
The Fast Responder Paramedic was a local, so sussed where I was.

Without a phone, I might not be riding a bike these days. Still belly-up in a ditch.... :D Or eaten by crows...

LANDSURFER74

Postby LANDSURFER74 » 28 May 2012, 8:35am

We make choices about the amount of risk we import into our lives.
We chose to ride cycles.
To wear helmets or not.
To wear hi viz or not.
We ride off road, in mountains etc.
If we prepare for every eventually we would not be able to move for the amount of safety equiptment we would wear or carry.

My approach to devices is a comment on my personal feelings towards imported risk, i suppose we all have different levels of risk compensation.

Ayesha; i'm glad you recovered from your injuries, i've fractured my spine twice ( car bomb and helicopter crash) and been lucky enough to make a full recovery both times.
If your phone gives you confidance then always have it with you.

swansonj

Postby swansonj » 28 May 2012, 10:00am

Ayesha wrote:I crashed once and was taken to Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital Spinal Injuries Dept.
I had my phone with me. It was a lonely lane early on Sunday morning. It took quite a while to describe exactly where I was because I was looking up at overhanging branches and couldn't see a roadsign. All I knew was the last junction and which direction I was riding.
The Fast Responder Paramedic was a local, so sussed where I was.

Without a phone, I might not be riding a bike these days. Still belly-up in a ditch.... :D Or eaten by crows...

+1

I came off on black ice and broke my leg. The bike itself skidded a lot further than I did, so had my phone been on the bike rather than in my pocket I would have had a rather painful crawl/drag to reach it. I now try not to go anywhere without a phone within easy reach.

Landsurfer, following Ayesha's post, you do appear to be backing off your initial blanket dismissal of the need to carry a phone, which came over as rather cavalier and a bit critical, so thank you for that.

quiksilver

Postby quiksilver » 28 May 2012, 10:35am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Tactical- ... 4ab8062f8a

I have been using one similar to this for a year or two now and found it ideal. Inside I keep a small pouch with my micro pump, wrench, spare tube and levers. The various other pockets are ideal for money, keys, wallet and cigs. I usually ride in stretch jeans so my smartphone always stays in my front left pocket. The shoulder pack tends to slide round the side of my body as I ride so I fitted a carabena type clip to the underside of the pack and clip this to a belt loop on the back of my jeans. I find this system works very well and the bike remains uncluttered and the bag doesnt obscure your rearward view.

LANDSURFER74

Postby LANDSURFER74 » 28 May 2012, 1:52pm

Thanks Swansonj, ...i'm still a device free zone though.. :)

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 28 May 2012, 1:59pm

LANDSURFER74 wrote:I have the perfect solution ..... dont carry a phone ...ever ...... any type of phone..... If i can run a succesful multi national engineering bussiness without one they are not that important, are they........ :D ..... "In touch, 24 / 7" .... sounds like a prision sentance to me !!!!
Yes ...i'm over 50 !!!

As a person who also runs and multinational business I would suggest that you, Mr Landsurfer74, do not run your business. Others run it for you. I don't care what you claim but you cannot run a company these days, let alone a multinational, without being contactable unless you have a really good team that you are confident to leave in charge and make decisions in your absence. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that is the case here.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

AlbionLass

Postby AlbionLass » 29 May 2012, 10:00am

An iPhone isn't huge, it's a small/medium smartphone these days. Try fitting a Galaxy Note, Galaxy S2 or 3 or HTC Sensation somewhere about your person!

I use a Topeak Tri-bag attatched to my top tube and head tube, it sits on top of the top tube.
Might not attach easily to certain arrangements of cable stops etc.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/TriBag_raincover

Also room for keys, purse/wallet, a few gels etc.

Spudh

Postby Spudh » 29 May 2012, 5:38pm

How about one of these, they seem to work on motorbikes anyway.

http://www.motoweb.co.za/cell-buckle.php

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 29 May 2012, 7:49pm

Amused to see responses, I guess in the days before phones people could disappear and not be found this has varying repurcussions.

Friend of mine was walking last year, remote spot, 2 miles from a road very serious broken thigh as a result of falling while climbing a style, without access to his phone it is anyone's guess how long before he may have been found, esp as he lives alone.

Similalry we had a stange day at beginning of March, sub-zero temps on a day that started sunny but turned to rain that immediately froze on landing. A friend had turned for home, perhaps not his best decision but returned via a no-thru lane/cycle route. Again came off, smashed himself up and was able to access a phone, he was nearly dead with hypothermia by the time emergency services found him.

We might think we do not need to be contactable but we may need to contact people, I would suggest that someone who has a big business to run has made appropriate arrangements, after all the boss has responsibilities just as much as someone who has other family dependants.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

LANDSURFER74

Postby LANDSURFER74 » 29 May 2012, 8:01pm

very perceptive eileithyia,
the luddites do make other arrangements.
but being able to 'dissappear' is a joy .. try it .... mankind will survive the era of 'always in touch' .

Swallow

Postby Swallow » 29 May 2012, 9:14pm

Surely the obvious answer is to take your phone but switch it off.
'Kernow bys Vyken'