Does anyone have a copy of this book?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cavasta

Does anyone have a copy of this book?

Postby cavasta » 27 May 2012, 12:43pm

This is a bit of a long shot but does anyone have a copy of this book?

Ten Thousand Miles on a Bicycle by Karl Kron (aka Lyman Hotchkiss Bagg)

It's an American book, written in the early-1880s. It's been reprinted several times since, the last being, as far as I know, in 2010.

If anyone has a copy, would you be prepared to do a look up in it for a specific piece of information?

I've found it on Abe Books and Amazon for around £20 - £40 and more (plus, in some cases, shipping costs from the US).

I'm also trying to trace a copy of the following 91 page booklet:

Self-propulsion and the Use and Progress of Velocipedes and Manumotive Carriages by William Morgan Morris (printed 1884). William was from Pontypridd, where, along with his brother, he ran Morris Brothers cycle manufacturers.

If anyone knows of a copy that exists anywhere, can you please let me know. I've been in touch with the National Cycle Archive at Coventry but they don't have a copy.

drossall

Re: Does anyone have a copy of this book?

Postby drossall » 27 May 2012, 5:57pm

The text appears to be here.

And for the second one, here.

cavasta

Postby cavasta » 27 May 2012, 6:31pm

Thanks very much for that drossall. You're spot on with the first one (Ten Thousand Miles...). I found exactly what I was after. Namely, reference in the text to the second title - plus a couple of additional items of great interest and relevance.

Unfortunately, the second link leads to a different title to the one I'm after. I've just checked that website though (it looks pretty useful) and they don't have the one I'm after. I've been in touch with, and am awaiting replies from, the British Library, Cardiff Central Library, Pontypridd Library, the National Cycle Collection and the National Library of Wales with regards the second title.

Thanks again for your input.

drossall

Postby drossall » 27 May 2012, 10:57pm

Sorry about the second one. Didn't check as carefully as I ought to have.

cavasta

Postby cavasta » 28 May 2012, 8:33am

No problem at all. You redeemed yourself by finding the first one :D (Although my heart did skip a beat when I saw "And for the second one, here.")

cavasta

Postby cavasta » 29 May 2012, 5:39pm

I've just received some excellent news from Cardiff Central Library: they've got a copy of 'Self-propulsion...' by William Morgan Morris. A trip down to Cardiff beckons.

Thanks again drossall for your help. It is much appreciated.

ejmantl1

Postby ejmantl1 » 31 Oct 2014, 10:12am

Hi
Did you find anything out by any chance. I own a house in Pontypridd and there is a Morris Bro's Cycle plaque out side on the wall. Would love to find out some history.

cavasta

Postby cavasta » 31 Oct 2014, 1:01pm

ejmantl1 wrote:Hi
Did you find anything out by any chance. I own a house in Pontypridd and there is a Morris Bro's Cycle plaque out side on the wall. Would love to find out some history.

Wow! That's very exciting. I'm researching the history of the company and have amassed quite a lot of information over the years but I've never seen or heard of anything like this. Would you be prepared to take a photo of it for me and post it here? If it's not asking too much, could you also let me know the address of the property so I can see how it fits in with what I know about the company? You can contact me via the forum's private message facility if you'd prefer.

It's my long-term intention to put everything I've got on a website, as well as write and self-publish a short book/pamphlet on the company (with a view to giving copies to various local libraries, archives and interested organisations). However, this is a project that is just an aspiration at the moment due to time restraints. I'd be more than happy to share some of the items I've got with you if you're interested.