Well I've never considered a Time trial but......

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Poshgill

Well I've never considered a Time trial but......

Post by Poshgill »

I'm a recreational cyclist and I've been putting a few miles in this year when weather permits, averaging 50 miles on a training run. Done a few 65 milers this year already with an aim of doing 100 miler by the end of summer.

Well, the weather wasn't great today in the Peterborough area but went for a little spin. Ended up doing a 25 miler in 1hour 30 mins (Average speed 16mph) but I did the first 10 miles in just over 35 minutes. I know it's no record but at almost 53 I thought it was a pretty decent time.

I was really buzzing when I got back (still am!) and it got me thinking. Is that a decent time for a 10 mile Time trial for my age and if I entered an open race, would I be laughed at?
eileithyia

Re: Well I've never considered a Time trial but......

Post by eileithyia »

No one gets laughed at, it is slowish for some who is regualry time trialling, BUT newbies all start somewhere and usually one event leads to trying another and which generally leads to an improvement because you always improve loads to begin with... you learn so much about how to push yourself and technique improves.

Always remember a timetrial is just that YOUR race against the clock.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Possibly there is a local club, to you, who run a TT that you can enter.
In the Preston area there is a series known as the "PETTS" (Preston Evening Time Trial Series.)
This is an summer ( :roll: ) evening 10 mile competition that beginners can enter along with experienced Testers.
Maybe there is something similar in your region as lots of Clubs run these events.

Most if not all time trials are governed by 2 groups:-
CTT - http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Hom ... fault.aspx
VTTA - http://www.vtta.org.uk/

For people over 40 (Veterans) there are benchmarks known as "standard times" that are used for handicapping amongst the various age groups.
http://www.vtta.org.uk/information/standardstables.php

So 10 miles for a 53 year old = 26minutes 55seconds.
No you will not be laughed at and when I do a TT it's my previous performances that I measure myself against.
No chance of me taking home the prize. :lol:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

I did my first one a couple of years ago. Turned up to the local club 10 on the Audax bike (even left the mudguards on as it was damp) and had a go. It was all friendly and welcoming, no-one laughs at anyone else's equipment, clothing or age - you soon realise most of those things are unreliable indicators. It's all about your own ride and time...

With a number on your back and someone starting a minute behind you, you'll go faster than you thought you ever could. Like you, a quickish spin sees me averaging 16/17mph but on TT night it'll be 22.5mph. That gets me around in just under 26 minutes. But ignore that, all courses vary and mines got a nice big downhill at the start followed by 9 miles of flat. I get beaten by guys in their 60s and even a lad of 13 but it's great and the endorphin rush after crossing the line (OK, after the pain has eased off!) is like nothing else. Go for it!

Jim
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

At my club's TT events, we have a couple of guys in their seventies and an eighty two year old on a Cr-Mo Claude Butler sports bike.
No one laughs with malice. New guys are treated with respect until they are familiar enough to get jibed. The older guys don't often get jibed, if ever.

I ride a 27 minute 10. There are younger lads who are closer to 21 minutes on expensive TT bikes, and older guys on roadrace bikes who ride a 10 in 30 - 33 minutes.

There is a handicap system, and as it is at the moment so far this season, I am second to a guy who rides 10 in 32 minutes. His handicap will adjust.

The handicap system makes the club championship VERY competative. 12 from 16 races are scored toward the club's trophy, so picking events wisely is part of the rider's strategy. I ride better in 5 milers and 10 milers. I train for these and relax on the 25 and 50 events.

There are even events where there is an 83" gear maximum. That sorts out the guys who can spin. Fantastic fun.

A word of warning. Stay away from the TT web forums. They are full of dis-information and mis-information. There will be a guy in the club who knows about time trialing.
And also,,, Warm up properly, at least 15 miles of riding at reduced power. ( 1 hour with some intervals )
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Ayesha wrote:And also,,, Warm up properly, at least 15 miles of riding at reduced power. ( 1 hour with some intervals )

For a 10 mile time trial! Perhaps if you are Chris Boardman riding a T de F prologue but not for Joe Public riding a fish and chip evening 10. Yes, warm up for a bit, 10 minutes will suffice - better still ride to the event.

Apart from that comment, just go and do it. I packed in racing 30 years ago at age 30 because I was riding too many and had stopped enjoying it. It all adds to your cycling experience so has to be a good thing. You should understand that to ride a time trial you need to be a member of a CTT affiliated club. Some clubs will allow you to ride as a temporary member and some clubs have "come and try it" events where anybody can take part (effectively as temporary members for insurance purposes). Do not be intimidated by all the fancy machines that appear even at low level club events; you can ride anything. We have people riding touring bikes and sometimes a penny-farthing.