Mountain Equipment Firelite Pants

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ambler

Mountain Equipment Firelite Pants

Post by Ambler »

I'm looking to buy some waterproof trousers and these are made from Goretex Active shell which has good reviews. The Gore Bike Wear prices for Active Shell pants are nearly double and I wondered if anyone has used M E trousers for cycling?
sarahinaberdeen

Re: Mountain Equipment Firelite Pants

Post by sarahinaberdeen »

Mountain Equipment would probably advise that you don't. At least not regularly.

When the rep came in to give us our product training he made quite a big deal of being careful who Active Shell is sold to. Their Active Shell clothing is aimed at 'fast and light' use, i.e. hill runners. They have not built in any abrasion/pressure protection to the face fabric of the Firelite pants or Firefox jacket. The Active Shell membrane is quite delicate so if you use the pants for regular cycling you will wear through the backside. Likewise if you regularly carry a rucksack you will wear out the shoulders on the jacket.

I'd have a careful look at the Gore ones to see if they have stronger face fabric on the seat (to protect the Active Shell membrane) if they're bike specific.
in4time

Post by in4time »

Paramo's Quito trousers might be worth a look. Venting all over the place and wearable on an off the bike.
Here's a link http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/outdoor ... googlebase
Ambler

Post by Ambler »

Thanks for that. Will have a rethink.