Titanium in my back

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
saudidave

Re: Titanium in my back

Post by saudidave »

[[/quote]
Wow, that's a great recovery Dave! You said you were very fit before but didnt tell us what distances you were doing.... but please don't go mad on the bike at this early stage! Slow and steady is the way forward!

Great pic btw :wink:[/quote]

I wasn't doing huge distances by any stretch of the imagination. I'm self employed, work 60+ hours a week and just don't have the time. What I was doing was a circular 10 - 12 mile round trip from my home in Poynton Cheshire, up to Pott Shrigley, then back via Bollington or Lyme Park. It encompasses a climb of approx 450 as an average depending upon my route and I was averaging 15m.p.h. I did that around 5 times a week with the occasional longer weekend ride. It's not spectacular times or distances I know, but its far in excess of the fitness levels the average guy in the street maintains at 59 yrs old. My BP was down to 115/65, my resting heart rate was around 50 b.p.m. and I weighed 170 lbs so I was in excellent shape all things considered.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

saudidave wrote:I wasn't doing huge distances by any stretch of the imagination. I'm self employed, work 60+ hours a week and just don't have the time. What I was doing was a circular 10 - 12 mile round trip from my home in Poynton Cheshire, up to Pott Shrigley, then back via Bollington or Lyme Park. It encompasses a climb of approx 450 as an average depending upon my route and I was averaging 15m.p.h. I did that around 5 times a week with the occasional longer weekend ride. It's not spectacular times or distances I know, but its far in excess of the fitness levels the average guy in the street maintains at 59 yrs old. My BP was down to 115/65, my resting heart rate was around 50 b.p.m. and I weighed 170 lbs so I was in excellent shape all things considered.

Thanks, I was just wondering how your first 6 miler back on the road compared, percentage wise, with what you'd been doing. Cos 10 weeks is plenty of time to de-train :( How do you feel after the ride yesterday?
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

It was a bit tiring. As you say 10 weeks is long enough to lose most of your fitness. You must also bear in mind that I've had major surgery to boot. I wasn't prepared for how exhausted you get after that. I walk and stand differently too, although it's only subtle. Everything has changed. I suspect it will take a week or two to get back in some sort of decent shape. Let's not forget muscle memory though - that is retained for a long time and it won't be like it was when I got on the bike in July 2011, weighing 15 stone and having done nothing for 10 years!

Edit about 40 mins after the post! I've just done another 6 miler - same route. It was easy and I went like stink! In percentage terms I'd say I was 75% and I'll be back to pre accident levels in no time. I reckon I was tired last night and suffering the after effects of a bottle of wine (& more), the night before after my surgeon gave me the OK to ride again.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

saudidave wrote:I've just done another 6 miler - same route. It was easy and I went like stink!

That's great news Dave :D You obviously have shed loads of self-motivation, which is what you need after a traumatic experience like you had! Hope your recovery continues to go well!
deckertim

Titanium in my back

Post by deckertim »

saudidave wrote:I fell off a ladder last Monday and I now have titanium plates, rods and screws in my back. I 'm very lucky to be alive With the use of my arms an legs. 3 vertebrae were damaged, one (L1) quite badly. Has anyone else done this and if so, when did you get back on a bike? I'm a very fit 59

Dave, sorry to hear of your accident and glad to hear you are back on it. Off topic question, but are you able to share how the accident happened. I would be keen to know as I am up a ladder this weekend repairing a chimney and and keen to minimise any issues.
Thanks rim
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

deckertim wrote:
saudidave wrote:I fell off a ladder last Monday and I now have titanium plates, rods and screws in my back. I 'm very lucky to be alive With the use of my arms an legs. 3 vertebrae were damaged, one (L1) quite badly. Has anyone else done this and if so, when did you get back on a bike? I'm a very fit 59

Dave, sorry to hear of your accident and glad to hear you are back on it. Off topic question, but are you able to share how the accident happened. I would be keen to know as I am up a ladder this weekend repairing a chimney and and keen to minimise any issues.
Thanks rim

It happened because I was careless. The Ladder was footed on the garden and with hindsight the angle was a little too acute. One of the poles of the ladder was sitting over a void, it punched through it and then had no support on one side, causing it to sllde. As it slid one pole snagged under the barge board causing the ladder to spin on its axis. It was then at an angle with me clinging on to what had become the underside. This meant I couldn't get my feet out easily to jump clear and I went down with it, landing on my a**e, on concrete, from 3.5m up. It was a classic accident, ladder slides are the usual occurrence and I really am lucky to be alive and even luckier to be bipedal. Used carefully ladders are safe. I just got stupid and careless after 45 years of using them but I'll be back on them as soon as my consultant says I can lift the weight of one!
deckertim

Titanium in my back

Post by deckertim »

saudidave wrote:
deckertim wrote:

Thanks rim

It happened because I was careless. The Ladder was footed on the garden and with hindsight the angle was a little too acute. One of the poles of the ladder was sitting over a void, it punched through it and then had no support on one side, causing it to sllde. As it slid one pole snagged under the barge board causing the ladder to spin on its axis. It was then at an angle with me clinging on to what had become the underside. This meant I couldn't get my feet out easily to jump clear and I went down with it, landing on my a**e, on concrete, from 3.5m up. It was a classic accident, ladder slides are the usual occurrence and I really am lucky to be alive and even luckier to be bipedal. Used carefully ladders are safe. I just got stupid and careless after 45 years of using them but I'll be back on them as soon as my consultant says I can lift the weight of one!

nasty stuff and I hope you recover soon. I am repointing my chimney and I am always keen to minimise the risk as much as possible.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

A bit of inspiration for anyone incurring a serious injury. I had the metalwork removed 60 hours ago and I'm already feeling like it never happened. I am now missing a spinal disc between L1 & L2, which are fused together, but apart from a slight change in posture I have no negative effects. The body is an amazing thing and capable of incredible recovery. I count my blessings every day and I'm looking forward to many more years of cycling.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Dave
I must've missed this thread,I'm happy that you've recovered so well :D
Ladders eh? a very dangerous piece of apparatus the fall is never pleasent but in your case almost completely disabling.I'm so glad for your complete recover :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Update and inspiration for the seriously injured

I reached " I remember that" stage sometime in November. My surgeon, Mr Kapoor (top man) was delighted with my recovery and since I was fortunate to have private health insurance to pay for it, he gave me the option of leaving the metal in or removing it. Since there was a danger that the metalwork may fail at some point I elected to have it removed. That took place on 21st December and I'm pleased to say tha apart from minor discomfort and some serious swelling around the site the removal was no big deal ( general anaesthetic discomfort aside).

Another 26 hours and it will be a New Year. The book is closed!