Getting to Box Hill on 28 July

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
evansdch

Post by evansdch »

Does anyone have any advice on how best to get to Box Hill for the Olympic Road Race on 28 July? I live in North West London and will be taking two young children (aged 7 and 9), and plan to take the train (or car) part of the way and cycling the rest.

My thinking is that it would be good to go on the route of the race, once the roads are closed to normal traffic; joining at, say, Hampton Court and cycling on the 'closed' roads - probably via Esher and Letherhead - to the venue. Is this possible?

The London2012 website gives bugger all information about this.

Advice appreciated.
Andyw

Post by Andyw »

Don't think those roads will be closed for long. It'll be a rolling road block. A few miles ahead of the field.

I'm on the lookout for a good (free) vantage point for both RR and TT, any suggestions?
RickH

Re: Getting to Box Hill on 28 July

Post by RickH »

Andyw wrote:Don't think those roads will be closed for long. It'll be a rolling road block. A few miles ahead of the field.

I know that's all we usually get in this country but I'm pretty sure it will be different this time. The link earlier says
...Police will begin to check that the roads are clear and tow vehicles from the race route from midnight on event days...

...Extensive road closures and parking restrictions will be in place around the routes from the early hours of the morning until early evening on event days...
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
evansdch

Post by evansdch »

Thanks Morzov,

Still it doesn't make it clear whether you can cycle on the closed roads ahead of the race. I've put a call in to the Olympics who said they will get back to me..
I'll post the response.

My hunch is that the organisers are being a bit coy about this as they do not want a lot of people trying out the circuit - a sort of Etape de Olympics - before the race start starts. But in practice I should imagine or rather hope that officials will be pretty cool about small groups of riders using the closed roads to get to Box Hill.

---

The link below has some alternative viewing spots:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... spots.html
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

evansdch wrote:I should imagine or rather hope that officials will be pretty cool about small groups of riders using the closed roads to get to Box Hill.

I doubt it - unless of course both bikes and clothing are properly branded with official sponsors' logos and you've paid for the privilege ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
swansonj

Post by swansonj »

We live on the route in Leatherhead. The road is closed from 6 am onwards. I can't remember which bit of literature it is, but one bit definitely said that when the road is closed you are not allowed to cycle on it either. I believe that there are crossing points that stay open to traffic including cyclists until nearer the race time (after the trial event last summer, one of the complaints was that they closed these crossing points unnecessarilly early, and they said they would learn from that and keep them open later).
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I watched last years trial at Burford Bridge and then while they were doing the 9 circuits rode over West Humble to see it again in Leatherhead. I just hope that the marshals are better briefed this year - when I rode back up through Headley they were still refusing to let traffic through.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

I can't remember which bit of literature it is, but one bit definitely said that when the road is closed you are not allowed to cycle on it either

When the TdF came through Kent in 2007 they wouldn't let you cycle when the road was closed.

Jan
evansdch

Post by evansdch »

Sounds as though from the above that you will not be able to cycle on the route itself. Short sighted perhaps, but understanable I suppose.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

evansdch wrote:Does anyone have any advice on how best to get to Box Hill for the Olympic Road Race on 28 July? I live in North West London and will be taking two young children (aged 7 and 9), and plan to take the train (or car) part of the way and cycling the rest.

My thinking is that it would be good to go on the route of the race, once the roads are closed to normal traffic; joining at, say, Hampton Court and cycling on the 'closed' roads - probably via Esher and Letherhead - to the venue. Is this possible?

The London2012 website gives bugger all information about this.

Advice appreciated.

I could be wrong but I thought I heard that the zig zag itself will be closed to the public or at least that numbers there will be strictly controlled.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I rode up it today and there are signs saying it will be closed, as will the A24 from Dorking (as will all the rest of the race route).

Very quiet today - more cyclists than cars on the hill and I only counted 15 cyclists. 2 of them actually spoke as they passed me, the rest were presumably totally immersed in being part of the Olympic race (or did the fact that my bike has mudguards and a small bag take me off their radar?)
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Grandad wrote:I rode up it today and there are signs saying it will be closed, as will the A24 from Dorking (as will all the rest of the race route).

Very quiet today - more cyclists than cars on the hill and I only counted 15 cyclists. 2 of them actually spoke as they passed me, the rest were presumably totally immersed in being part of the Olympic race (or did the fact that my bike has mudguards and a small bag take me off their radar?)

So true. When I cycle along the zig zag very few cyclists acknowledge my nods. It's mostly the ones all geared up and in bunches. It's as though a nod will slow them down somehow. And you're absolutely right I ride with mudguards, ordinary shoes and flat rubber pedals with a carrier behind the saddle. I'm sure they think I'm not a part of the scene.
hill_start_12

Post by hill_start_12 »

Both Southern and South West Trains will be operating an enhanced service to Box Hill & Westhumble and Dorking stations from London Victoria and Waterloo on 28th and 29th July. The special timetable is available to download here:

http://www.southernrailway.com/download ... esthumble/
Cherwell

Post by Cherwell »

Any ideas what the crowds will be like on the Old London Road at the foot of Box Hill?

I’m thinking of getting the train to Dorking, arriving about 10. Walk to Denbies vineyards and watch race on the big screen and see them come pass. Walk down to the foot of Box Hill and watch again. Then walk back to Denbies to see the finish on the screen. Any local knowledge on whether this may or may not be practical would be appreciated.