Reliable Front Lamp

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Drake
Posts: 1014
Joined: 19 Apr 2012, 9:01am

Reliable Front Lamp

Postby Drake » 13 Jun 2012, 7:24pm

Can anybody recommend a reliable front lamp .

1. It must be waterproof and preferably LED .
2. Ideally a beam to see with .
3. Prefer it to have a flashing mode as well .
4. Don't mind rechargeable or dry cell batteries . Don't want dymo .
5. Lamp it self must be detachable from mounting bracket,(popping into shops ect) .
Cycling back from a friends the other night,it started to rain and after a short distance my front lamp packed up . To be fair,it was not an expensive purchase and until it got a soaking,it had worked perfectly . It did have three mode's . . full power,half power and flashing . . now it only has full.
I have a budget of between thirty and forty pounds .
Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Joe.B
Posts: 270
Joined: 13 Nov 2010, 11:31am

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby Joe.B » 13 Jun 2012, 7:38pm

Busch & Muller Ixon IQ

No flashng mode but if our after a lamp to stear by this is the one

I shopped around and found one for £62

LollyKat
Posts: 2888
Joined: 28 May 2011, 11:25pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby LollyKat » 13 Jun 2012, 8:05pm

Smart Lunar 25 lux - £17.50 from Evans.

It is really bright and can be set to flashing or steady (high power or low). On your budget you could have two. We use them and they are excellent.

rualexander
Posts: 2360
Joined: 2 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Contact:

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby rualexander » 13 Jun 2012, 8:50pm

Joe.B wrote:Busch & Muller Ixon IQ

No flashng mode but if our after a lamp to stear by this is the one

I shopped around and found one for £62

Yes, great lights, but £62 is expensive, they can be bought from Germany for around £50 including postage.

Drake
Posts: 1014
Joined: 19 Apr 2012, 9:01am

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby Drake » 13 Jun 2012, 9:08pm

LollyKat wrote:Smart Lunar 25 lux - £17.50 from Evans.

It is really bright and can be set to flashing or steady (high power or low). On your budget you could have two. We use them and they are excellent.

Sounds interesting . Do they quick release and leave the mounting bracket ?

Joe.B
Posts: 270
Joined: 13 Nov 2010, 11:31am

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby Joe.B » 13 Jun 2012, 9:51pm

rualexander wrote:
Joe.B wrote:Busch & Muller Ixon IQ

No flashng mode but if our after a lamp to stear by this is the one

I shopped around and found one for £62

Yes, great lights, but £62 is expensive, they can be bought from Germany for around £50 including postage.



DOH :oops:

User avatar
CREPELLO
Posts: 5558
Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 12:55am

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby CREPELLO » 13 Jun 2012, 10:03pm

What about trying to seal your existing light? Silicone sealant is cheap enough. Just put a small bead of sealant onto one side of the seal. Perhaps line the other seal with vasaline becuase the sealant won't stick to that. Anyway, you get the idea.

Yes, it can be messy, but if you use enough masking tape, it's not quite so bad.

LollyKat
Posts: 2888
Joined: 28 May 2011, 11:25pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby LollyKat » 13 Jun 2012, 10:58pm

Drake wrote:
LollyKat wrote:Smart Lunar 25 lux - £17.50 from Evans.

It is really bright and can be set to flashing or steady (high power or low). On your budget you could have two. We use them and they are excellent.

Sounds interesting . Do they quick release and leave the mounting bracket ?

Yes - they'll fit handlebars up to 31.8mm or what ever the modern fat ones are. And so far they have stood up well to west of Scotland weather.

Russcoles
Posts: 342
Joined: 6 Nov 2010, 8:09pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby Russcoles » 14 Jun 2012, 1:33am

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cateye-hl-el ... prod14702/

Very bright, uses normal batteries so if u run out of power you just need to find a petrol station. No flashing mode but no-one should ever use a flashing front light in my opinion. A flashing light doesn't allow others to gauge your speed or direction effectively and will destroy their night vision.

Drake
Posts: 1014
Joined: 19 Apr 2012, 9:01am

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby Drake » 14 Jun 2012, 4:54am

Russcoles wrote:http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cateye-hl-el530-led-power-opticube-1500+-cp-front-light-prod14702/

Very bright, uses normal batteries so if u run out of power you just need to find a petrol station. No flashing mode but no-one should ever use a flashing front light in my opinion. A flashing light doesn't allow others to gauge your speed or direction effectively and will destroy their night vision.

Ah ! Valid point,never thought of that . Alway's considered that flashing mode was safest and made others aware i was there .
Cateye lamp looks promising as well .

Reigncloud
Posts: 127
Joined: 2 Mar 2011, 2:00pm

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby Reigncloud » 14 Jun 2012, 7:22am

Knog boomer USB. Mega bright, rechargeable and fully removable so doesn't leave an unsightly bracket on you bike. Highly recommended.

Drake
Posts: 1014
Joined: 19 Apr 2012, 9:01am

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby Drake » 14 Jun 2012, 8:51am

CREPELLO wrote:What about trying to seal your existing light? Silicone sealant is cheap enough. Just put a small bead of sealant onto one side of the seal. Perhaps line the other seal with vasaline becuase the sealant won't stick to that. Anyway, you get the idea.

Yes, it can be messy, but if you use enough masking tape, it's not quite so bad.


I will give that a try . It's supposed to be rough down this neck of the woods this w/end,so i can give it a test .
Thanks for the suggestion .

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4543
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby RickH » 14 Jun 2012, 9:22am

Russcoles wrote:http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cateye-hl-el530-led-power-opticube-1500+-cp-front-light-prod14702/

Very bright, uses normal batteries so if u run out of power you just need to find a petrol station. No flashing mode but no-one should ever use a flashing front light in my opinion. A flashing light doesn't allow others to gauge your speed or direction effectively and will destroy their night vision.

When I'm driving I find that cyclists with flashing lights stand out more in the mix of constant lights in traffic. The flashing LEDs are usually brighter so more visible from further without the dazzle of a constant bright light, unlike following cars who've left rear fog lights on in clear weather. I've not personally found a them to cause any noticeable problem with night vision.

FWIW my weapon of choice is the Exposure Toro - expensive but I got my mark 1 in a sale when they brought out the mark 2 - very bright on full power, I'll happily ride at 30+ down a hill on an unlit road, it is solidly built & has been completely reliable in the 2 years I've been using it so far. I have an older Joystick which, apart from the battery life starting to diminish somewhat, has also been completely reliable despite getting bounced on the road on at least 1 occasion and was the brightest bike light I'd ever had when I got it.

Rick.

User avatar
meic
Posts: 19355
Joined: 1 Feb 2007, 9:37pm
Location: Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen)

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby meic » 14 Jun 2012, 9:39am

Drake wrote:
Russcoles wrote:http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cateye-hl-el530-led-power-opticube-1500+-cp-front-light-prod14702/

Very bright, uses normal batteries so if u run out of power you just need to find a petrol station. No flashing mode but no-one should ever use a flashing front light in my opinion. A flashing light doesn't allow others to gauge your speed or direction effectively and will destroy their night vision.

Ah ! Valid point,never thought of that . Alway's considered that flashing mode was safest and made others aware i was there .
Cateye lamp looks promising as well .



I dont use flashing in total dark as it will drive ME mad but even in the total dark it will draw attention to you and your speed then position can be better established if you have a constant light as well.
There is a bit of a gamble here, improved chance of being seen but misinterpreted but decreased chance of not being seen at all.

When it is still light enough eg street lights, twilight etc then the motorist can still locate you by seeing the actual bike and rider the flashing light is excellent at getting you noticed in the first place.
So I am a keen fan of flashing lights front and rear for half-light situations.
Yma o Hyd

hamster
Posts: 3202
Joined: 2 Feb 2007, 12:42pm

Re: Reliable Front Lamp

Postby hamster » 14 Jun 2012, 10:53am

Cateyes get my vote - well engineered, bright and inexpensive.I use EL-135 for a bright light with a flash for twilight, plus an EL520 for seeing things in the dark.