Buying a budget touring bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwward

Re: Buying a budget touring bike

Postby pwward » 23 Jun 2012, 10:25pm

I watched ebay for a month or two and bought a 'Dave Yates' steel framed fast tourer/audax bike from a fellow 6 footer. It was made for him by the frame builder but fits me fine. Over the 2 months I saw a number of other bikes that would have been fine for less than £500. I think, like you, I like to buy good quality 2e hand stuff than brand new ok stuff.
The bike needed new rims, new transmission and new tyres within 6 m of purchase but was still a good buy.

Steve@Tern

Postby Steve@Tern » 25 Jun 2012, 4:08pm

Stick "Vantage" in the search box at the top and I think you'll get a good idea about how generally well-regarded the Dawes Vantage is.
Nothing's ever perfect, it's true. And the longer I live, the more I get to agree with the principle that you gets what you pays for in general. But for around £600, it's not a bad bike, from a manufacturer with a decent reputation.

alpgirl

Postby alpgirl » 25 Jun 2012, 10:42pm

My husband recently bought a secondhand (2years old, immaculate condition!) Spesh Tricross for £550. It had been upgraded for touring by the shop that sold it, costing the buyer over £1100. It is a cyclocross bike, but has braziers front and rear, high spec equipment etc. While we were debating this, we looked around gumtree, ebay etc and noticed some similar going for about £350 - £450, without mudguards and panniers. Might be worth looking at.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 26 Jun 2012, 1:30am

cycleruk wrote:
alexlawriewood wrote:PS: tougher gearing = more exercise, right? :D as long as it's not so bad you stop and fall over.

Wrong, not on a tourer.
Getting off or struggling in a hilly terrain is no fun. :cry:
Even on the flat against a strong headwind will need lowish gears, especially with full luggage.
Much easier to sit and twiddle up hills than standing on the pedals with the bags swinging the bike from side to side.

Yes - I'd agree with cycleruk on that.

Nettled Shin

Postby Nettled Shin » 26 Jun 2012, 5:34pm

alpgirl wrote:It is a cyclocross bike, but has braziers front and rear <snip>.Might be worth looking at.

Definitely worth looking at this.

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 27 Jun 2012, 8:14am

alpgirl wrote:but has braziers front and rear

Is this a picket line special?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

breakwellmz

Postby breakwellmz » 27 Jun 2012, 8:28am

Braziers front and rear?

Isn`t that a double female tandem?

alpgirl

Postby alpgirl » 27 Jun 2012, 8:54pm

Ok, brazings!!! First time I realised they had a name was 3 weeks ago! My husband thought they were called that too! :D :oops:

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 27 Jun 2012, 9:17pm

Ermm... I think braze-ons is what you are looking for. :wink:

alpgirl

Postby alpgirl » 27 Jun 2012, 11:09pm

Thankyou. I'm not really that dippy, honestly! :roll:

Tin_Hat

Postby Tin_Hat » 28 Jun 2012, 12:25pm

As a suggestion i'd try a few different bikes and look to get a good second hand one. I've just bought a Dawes Kara Kum on Ebay for £155. It's 10 years old but has been looked after. Seems to have had a new chain recently and came complete with original front and rear racks, pump and set of Cateye lights. Gearing seems spot on for touring with a triple chainring giving 22 inch lowest gear and I think 108 inch top. It also has 3 bottle mounts and a Brooks Flyer saddle. New these bikes are £850 or less with discount

chesterpete

Postby chesterpete » 28 Jun 2012, 1:14pm

Tin_Hat wrote:As a suggestion i'd try a few different bikes and look to get a good second hand one. I've just bought a Dawes Kara Kum on Ebay for £155. It's 10 years old but has been looked after. Seems to have had a new chain recently and came complete with original front and rear racks, pump and set of Cateye lights. Gearing seems spot on for touring with a triple chainring giving 22 inch lowest gear and I think 108 inch top. It also has 3 bottle mounts and a Brooks Flyer saddle. New these bikes are £850 or less with discount

That looks like an excellent buy!

Smudge

Postby Smudge » 4 Jul 2012, 12:52pm

Tin_Hat wrote:As a suggestion i'd try a few different bikes and look to get a good second hand one. I've just bought a Dawes Kara Kum on Ebay for £155. It's 10 years old but has been looked after. Seems to have had a new chain recently and came complete with original front and rear racks, pump and set of Cateye lights. Gearing seems spot on for touring with a triple chainring giving 22 inch lowest gear and I think 108 inch top. It also has 3 bottle mounts and a Brooks Flyer saddle. New these bikes are £850 or less with discount

I bought a secondhand Dawes Karakum as well as i could'nt get on with drops on my Panorama .. and i also highly recommend the Karakum .. i've upgraded mine a bit but its an excellent ride

Simon
"It never gets easier ~ You just go faster"