The Lancaster canal

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ukdodger

The Lancaster canal

Post by ukdodger »

Has anyone cycled along this the whole way. Is there a cycle path or is it just a dirt track. I'd like to include it in my Round the Edge tour but I dont fancy upsetting too many fishermen or walkers. Thanks

RD
KevinH

Re: The Lancaster canal

Post by KevinH »

Some parts are good, such as the bit between Lancaster & Carnforth ( part of national route 6 ) but much of the rest is just a just a basic dirt track.

I have cycled much of the section north of Carnforth and it's not too bad as the towpath is reasonably wide, and quite quiet, but you do need to negotiate the sections that have been cut by the M6.

However I would not attempt some of the rural sections between Preston & Lancaster, the path gets quite minimal in places.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

KevinH wrote:Some parts are good, such as the bit between Lancaster & Carnforth ( part of national route 6 ) but much of the rest is just a just a basic dirt track.

I have cycled much of the section north of Carnforth and it's not too bad as the towpath is reasonably wide, and quite quiet, but you do need to negotiate the sections that have been cut by the M6.

However I would not attempt some of the rural sections between Preston & Lancaster, the path gets quite minimal in places.

Thanks. Just the info I was after. Think I'll give it a miss.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I crossed it once and stopped for a short break, soaked my feet in the water and then nearly fell in. :lol:

The bridge would be here, and whilst I have no memory of the path it looks like a muddy track on googlestreetview. If all else fails you could use streetview on all the crossings to get an idea of the towpath. :wink:

The fascinating thing for me is that I've never remembered exactly where I crossed and chose the bridge on google maps as looking likely. I knew I'd got it right first time from the streetview showing the trees. I then went to Wikipedia just to double check my memory that it was the Lancaster Canal and they've got a pic of those trees too. :D
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

gaz wrote:I crossed it once and stopped for a short break, soaked my feet in the water and then nearly fell in. :lol:

The bridge would be here, and whilst I have no memory of the path it looks like a muddy track on googlestreetview. If all else fails you could use streetview on all the crossings to get an idea of the towpath. :wink:

The fascinating thing for me is that I've never remembered exactly where I crossed and chose the bridge on google maps as looking likely. I knew I'd got it right first time from the streetview showing the trees. I then went to Wikipedia just to double check my memory that it was the Lancaster Canal and they've got a pic of those trees too. :D

I did and it looked muddy and gritty. I wondered if it was all or mostly like that. I'll be about a 2/3rds of the way around the UK by then. My bike will have suffered enough. Shame because it must be flat.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I've ridden the full length of the canal from Preston to Kendal. The path is generally good in the areas close to villages where it gets lots of use by walkers and boaters. Once away from civilisation the towpath is basically a grassy bank with a defined worn track which can be very muddy after rain, not very good for narrow tyres but still do able at at slower pace. The Lancaster canal is very scenic and passes through some lovely contryside and well worth the effort in my opinion. You need to take care going under the bridges due to the low arches when on a bike and you can sometimes be too close to the watersedge for comfort.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Starfire wrote:I've ridden the full length of the canal from Preston to Kendal. The path is generally good in the areas close to villages where it gets lots of use by walkers and boaters. Once away from civilisation the towpath is basically a grassy bank with a defined worn track which can be very muddy after rain, not very good for narrow tyres but still do able at at slower pace. The Lancaster canal is very scenic and passes through some lovely contryside and well worth the effort in my opinion. You need to take care going under the bridges due to the low arches when on a bike and you can sometimes be too close to the watersedge for comfort.

Thanks. Interesting to know. Still dont think I'll include it in this tour but another tour on a different bike will be on the cards.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

I have cycled it from preston to carnforth and i always thought the proper canal ended there? How far is the section from carnforth to kendal and is there any proper towpath after carnforth.
KevinH

Post by KevinH »

foxychick wrote:I have cycled it from preston to carnforth and i always thought the proper canal ended there? How far is the section from carnforth to kendal and is there any proper towpath after carnforth.

Carnforth to Kendal via the canal is about 18-20 miles.

The navigable canal stops at Tewitfield Marina ( about 2 miles north of Carnforth ), as it is cut by the A6070 here. However there is an underpass under the road and the canal still exists complete with water, towpath and locks on the other side. From here each time it meets the M6 it stops and starts again on the other side. The water stops at the Bridge on Viver Ln, Stainton, and the towpath soon afterwards, about 4 miles short of Kendal.

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=54.262191 ... m&t=m&z=15

As you get into Kendal, the former route of the canal is now a cycle path.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Thank you for that kevin, what is the scenery like from carnforth to kendal? What is the nearest rail station to kendal as i would be returning by train to wigan.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

The scenery is very pleasant from Carnforth to Kendal. There is a Station in Kendal which is on the Oxenholme to Windermere branch line. The Main line station is at Oxenholme just on the outskirt of Kendal itself.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Ok thanks for that, the ride will be on my agenda if the weather ever picks up this summer. Kevin you say that the canal stops 4 miles short of kendal, can you cycle the remaining four miles off road into kendal as i will be using my mountain bike and wanted to avoid any of the dreaded tarmac lol!
KevinH

Post by KevinH »

foxychick wrote:Ok thanks for that, the ride will be on my agenda if the weather ever picks up this summer. Kevin you say that the canal stops 4 miles short of kendal, can you cycle the remaining four miles off road into kendal as i will be using my mountain bike and wanted to avoid any of the dreaded tarmac lol!

I afraid I don't know, the towpath is about as off-road as I get. I can see on the map that a footpath continues along the route of the former canal, but I don't know if it is possible to cycle that path. Once the route is inside Kendal, it becomes a cycle path, but between the end of the wet canal and Kendal it appears to be marked as a footpath. Maybe someone with better knowledge of the local off-road routes will know if it is a permissible route.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Kevin i have done some research and you can cycle off road along the old canal towpath right into kendal. I intend to cycle the 26 miles from lancaster to kendal if we manage to get a sunny day this summer. I have already cycled the section from preston to carnforth previously and i just wanted to complete the whole journey. I thought that the section from preston to lancaster was a bit bland to be honest and it is only when you get to lancaster that things become more interesting. Go to the visitcumbriawebsite and then type in the search box lancaster kendal canal. There are loads of pictures and historical facts about the kendal section of the canal and that is where i got my information from.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Cycled the lancaster to kendal canal today a total of 28 miles. The first 11 miles are all tarmac and then it is grass for most of the way until the final 2 miles into kendal. I found it very hard going the last few miles as their are loads of tree roots on the towpath and also a lot of the cycling is across farmland where the canal used to be and cycling on the grass is so energy sapping and i found it very hard having to lift my mountain bike over lots of stiles. On some parts of the towpath i was cycling at 4mph and in other parts it was that bad i had to get off the bike and walk. I would not recommend cycling the last 8 miles as it is more suitable for ramblers to be honest.