Zip off trousers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sirmy

Zip off trousers

Post by sirmy »

Does anyone know of any zip off leg cycle specific trousers for around the £50 mark. I'd hate to spend a ton on a pair of Gores or Pearl Isumi's, have an off and end up with an extra hole in them. If not cycle specific does anyone know of any zip off walking trousers that have either an adjustable or narrow ankle.

I did see that Wiggle have a pair of Team Sky logoed zip off with pop studed ankles, anyone got a pair?
alicej

Re: Zip off trousers

Post by alicej »

I use non-cycle specific North Face trousers, which have a cargo pocket on the right thigh. In the pocket lives my home made trouser clip, which cost 50p and ten minutes sewing to make and looks something like this
Ankle Clip.JPG
Tango

Post by Tango »

I use craghoppers kiwi zip off trousers http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/outdoor- ... pd-721.php for walking and now I have invested in a tourer, I intend to buy some cycling short liners or "padded" cycling underwear if I can find any
One day you life will flash before your eyes
Make sure it's worth watching!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Cycling shorts with leg warmers? No need for zips :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
james01

Post by james01 »

Why cycling -specific? What's wrong with the time-honoured trousers tucked into socks look? :D
I bought some Crivit walking zip-offs from Lidl/Aldi (forget which) for under £10. They're extremely light and dry fast but you do need socks or clips. The most annoying thing about zip-offs is when you lose one of the legs....
alicej

Post by alicej »

Also it's really cheap and easy to sew your own press studs into the ankle of any trousers you like.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Millets do peterstorm trekking trousers with Zip off legs. Itend not to have the bottom parts on when cycling so do not know if they are narrow enough
NUKe

Post by sirmy »

eileithyia wrote:Cycling shorts with leg warmers? No need for zips :D

Not with my legs!

I used to use a pair of Cragopper zip off but found that the contact areas pilled very quickly, that's why I was looking for something cycle specific, with abrasion resistant fabric in the contact areas. A local shop has a listing for Endura Voyager zip offs which would have been perfect but they appear to be a discountinued line that should probably have been removed from the site. Oh well...
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Craghoppers have a very proud overlocked seam running front to back along the midline, as do North Face's similar hard wearing trousers. (Alice's are a lighter material with a less pronounced seam). They are great trousers, but I'd expect trouble riding more than a few miles in them. I make sure clothes I wear for cyling have no obvious seams in areas where there could be friction. I don't know of any zip-off trousers that fit the bill but would be interested in any others find.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Clothes pegs.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Benethi

Post by Benethi »

Tango wrote:I use craghoppers kiwi zip off trousers http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/outdoor- ... pd-721.php for walking and now I have invested in a tourer, I intend to buy some cycling short liners or "padded" cycling underwear if I can find any

I use Kiwis for walking but never found them great for cycling; too restricting and they get oil stained far too easily...A few months ago though I discovered Kiwi Pro-Stretch trousers. I bought them largely with climbing in mind, but have also found them great for casual cycling. They are very comfortable for cycling in being stretchy (obviously), they come in black and are convertible. The ankles are rather wide though.

I got a couple of pairs for about £15 each in the Craghoppers sale.
Hmm, just looking at the site now doesn't look like they do them in black anymore although you can probably still get some if you shop around...
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
:)
theenglishman

Post by theenglishman »

Ann Summers had some zip off trousers in the Westfield store in the sale.

Or so I heard.
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

eileithyia wrote:Cycling shorts with leg warmers? No need for zips :D

Do you mean Plus Twos and long socks? :lol:

Actually, that is exactly the solution I found. I use moleskin plus twos and long socks for poor weather cycling, relatively lightweight, warm and hard wearing. You can also loosen the bottoms and wear them as baggy shorts. For the winter, you can't beat Tweed plus twos over long johns and long socks. Oh and they can also be handy for tweed rides etc :)
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Russcoles, I am fellow plus 2 wearer, but in the winter months only though. I have a pair of Moleskins for normal use and a pair of tweeds for when I need to be smart. I love the tweed ones. Tweed is one of those forgotten fabrics, that Cloth manufactures have spent years trying to find a high tech alternative to. Its warm and when it rains the fibres swell and effectively become waterproof. Similarly wax cotton although not necessarily a cycling fabric as it doesn’t pack well but for waterproofing it is spot on Waterproof and breathable and if you occasionally wax it, they last for years.
NUKe

Post by soton »

I wrap my trouser-leg bottoms in a home-fashioned sheet of nylon tent material with hook and loop fasteners along two edges. The fabric length is 8 inches up/down my leg, and tapered to fit the ankle and the lower calf; this height up the leg prevents the trousers from escaping (as they can from a narrow ankle clip) and ensures none of the trouser leg gets near the chain-ring.