Scallop shell road surface

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ambodach

Scallop shell road surface

Post by ambodach »

This may seem an unlikely topic for a cycling forum but bear with me. Some forest roads in my area have had raw scallop shell dumped on them (with permission from Forest Enterprise) and then rolled over a couple of times with a pick- up truck. The resultant surface cannot reasonably be cycled on in any safety to person or tyres as there are sharp shards all over the place and the depth is such that there is virtually no traction on hills. Walkers and dog walkers are equally disenchanted as dogs paws are getting damaged and walking is also not easy. In hot weather it also stinks! This has naturally caused a local spat but we are told that this practice is in use in other areas particularly Galloway with no problems. We can get no information as to where exactly this is taking place but consider that we are not comparing like with like. Has anyone got any knowledge of this or any similar practice ? This could cause problems all over the country if allowed to go by unchecked as forest roads are rendered unusable by this practice. I will post this later on the Mountain Bike section when I get more time.
7_lives_left

Re: Scallop shell road surface

Post by 7_lives_left »

I can't help with information, but have you tried finding out where the material is coming from? Or if any money is changing hands (inappropriately). Is someone missing a beach?
Ribblehead

Post by Ribblehead »

ambodach wrote:we are told that this practice is in use in other areas particularly Galloway with no problems.

That's one way of shifting the blame from them to you! Maybe the only other place they've used this stuff is rarely used by anyone.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Is this surface dangerous in any way, to cyclists? would it cause loss of traction and a skid when cornering? Is it slippery when wet? - (this year, is it ever not wet?). Is it a public highway? Is is a prescribed cycle route? What exactly are the dangers to cyclists? Who administers it? - the local Council? Is Sustrans involved - i.e. is it part of the National Cycle Network? Is this a right of way, or a permissive route?

I've had a bit of similar trouble with towpaths, and our use of the one in question is by "Grace and Favour" - we've no rights, and the administering authority (British Waterways (as was) in this case). In short, the answer can be - make trouble and we can simply close the path/route/road down and you'll not use it.

I know nothing about forest roads - do we have rights?
Stonepark

Post by Stonepark »

Scallop shells are high calcium, so if an acid forest, they are causing water soil pollution, report them to SEPA/EA and see if they have any comment.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Around here some people used cockle shells instead of gravel on drives and farm roads. If the site was within a certain distance of the shellfish pickling factory they'd even deliver and spread them for free. Best done in the winter to avoid the smell.
Didn't seem any worse to ride on than deepish gravel.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I've cycled the Galloway forest section of the NCN route 7 which has the scallop shells. My experience was generally OK. it was better where the shells were broken down and not great where they were in consolidated.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Hi geocycle can you elaborate? What do you mean by consolidate? Here we have raw scallop shells dumped by a pick-up truck which then runs over them a couple of times. It is diffucult to cycle on and there is high skid risk going downhill and if a fall high risk of "scallop shell rash" with the probability of serious cuts from insanitary shells. In Dumfries and Galloway I think the shells are properly crushed in a hammer mill and then mixed with some other material before use. This is probably wht you mean by "consolidate". They will eventually break down with traffic but if there is no traffic due to cyclists abandoning the road then they will simply remain.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Queenie scallop shells from West Coast Sea Products in Kirkcudbright have been used extensively on farm roads for about the last 20 years. I'm not surprised that the forestry commision have picked up on their use. I'm sure it also provides the processor a good revenue source from a waste product. The shells are stored on farmland outside the town. In the past they were not processed in any way. They were delivered and dumped in a heap. They break down quite quickly but stink for a while until the remaining fleshy bits have rotted.
The Forestry Commission seem to be saying the shells cause fewer punctures in their vehicles.
http://www.nisp.org.uk/region_article.aspx?feedid=casestudy&itemid=16&regionid=11
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Thanks bogmyrtle that is the sort of information I am after. The shells we have are king scallops which are much bigger and stronger. The dumping vehicle had a hose to the power steering cut by a stray bit of shell (so my cycling car mechanic friend tells me) and I have abandoned the area as the lumps of shell are big and sharp. I have loads of scallop shells at the top of my garden and after many years they have still not broken down. I did put them there myself after having eaten the contents so cannot complain about these ones.
fc101

Post by fc101 »

We experienced such a 'crushed-shell' surface on the Glentrool 'Big Country' route about six years ago - see http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Gl ... y-CTC-Ride. We were on our MTBs.

It's a good route, but I regret the most memorable aspect was the number of punctures we had. I recall other people we encountered had an even worse time, and one pair of cyclists ran out of spare inner tubes and we had to help them out. At the time we concluded the material was unsuitable for surfacing a cycle route, even an 'off road' one. I don't remember having any problems with traction though.

We haven't tried the route since then, so I can't comment on whether time, traffic and weathering has diminished its puncture-causing properties.

I would be concerned if we were to encounter a similar surface on our touring bikes, since I fear it would have the potential to ruin a set of tyres, or at least require us to put up with frequent punctures for weeks or months afterwards.
Spudh

Post by Spudh »

ambodach wrote:. Some forest roads in my area have had raw scallop shell dumped on them (with permission from Forest Enterprise) and then rolled over a couple of times with a pick- up truck. The resultant surface cannot reasonably be cycled on in any safety to person or tyres as there are sharp shards all over the place and the depth is such that there is virtually no traction on hills.

I'd guess the problem is that they have not been rolled properly. If they've just been driven over with a pick up instead of rolled with a drum roller then its a completely different scenario to the other area mentioned.

You would only do this if you're trying to reduce the use of an area by the public.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

ambodach wrote:Hi geocycle can you elaborate? What do you mean by consolidate? Here we have raw scallop shells dumped by a pick-up truck which then runs over them a couple of times. It is diffucult to cycle on and there is high skid risk going downhill and if a fall high risk of "scallop shell rash" with the probability of serious cuts from insanitary shells. In Dumfries and Galloway I think the shells are properly crushed in a hammer mill and then mixed with some other material before use. This is probably wht you mean by "consolidate". They will eventually break down with traffic but if there is no traffic due to cyclists abandoning the road then they will simply remain.

Well, most of it was crushed, I'll try and find a picture because I was quite shocked when I noticed. The worst bits where the shells were still intact were around barriers so perhaps that indicates some attempt at rolling with machinery. I share your general concern that shells are essentially limestone and anyone will recognise how slippy that can be.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Are the roads designated cycle tracks?
If not I would suggest that the FC have gone for a cost effective surface that will in time sort itself out. The needs of a relatively small user group over cost and vehicle use would be less important. Not the ideal situation for a local cyclist but perhaps understandable?
Voice your opinion to prevent, maybe, future use on cycle ways.
If these tracks are designated cycles ways, raise hell!
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The particular track mostly affected is not currently designated a cycle track but there are plans which will make into part of a very good local loop. It is not the intention to limit use of this track so far as is known. The problem is caused by the easy dumping of industrial waste without any regard for anyone else. Headquarters of F.C. are conveniently far away so higher management does not come this way very often. In any case they will avoid trouble for themselves whenever possible.The sob story from the processors of course is that jobs are at stake. This in our opinion is rubbish and is more down to personal profit. One path which is causing annoyance tho' not to cyclists leads to an ancient chapel which recently featured on telly. Now that could get interesting! We as cyclists and runners are concerned that this surface will spread to other areas and this issue at least locally is not going to go away anytime soon.