Hip protection for road riding?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Hip protection for road riding?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My accident in end nov 17 now 4 months on is very minor in comparison, I just fell side wards onto black ice on a cycle path landing on a flat hardish surface, fell onto thigh / arm / side of head, I calculated about 8-10 mpg impact.
Could not weight bear at all for two weeks on that leg. still feel pain if I push hard walking / cycling.
So I can fully emphasise with you and sorta how it feels.
Waking up in intensive care like I did in the 80's means a stay in hospital, and seems like a long way back, but you will get there I know, keep optimistic like you are.

I was going to say different activity / wheeled machine like has been suggested a trike.
Hope you get well soon, well I know it will take time, keep posting :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

This thread is an interesting resurrection, especially since there are current discussions concerning the supposed safety increase provided by helmets and high-viz.

I know dozens cyclists, having being involved in cycling clubs and various cycling activities for decades now. I personally know none who have suffered a serious head injury. I know a few who've been knocked off by cars (even though some were wearing high viz). I know a lot who have fallen off and received serious hip damage, especially amongst those who are getting on a bit.

In the club I belong to there are two with artificial hips, installed after cycling accidents which broke them. Neither of these accidents involved anyone else - they fell off due to slippery stuff, both at low speed. Happily they still manage to go along quite well. One is 80, the other is 73. They both still keep up on club runs.

I know others in my wider circle of cycling acquaintances who have not fared so well. A fall and a broken hip has stopped their cycling and much else. A broken hip needs fixing or replacing fast if it's to recover function, apparently. These lads have not recovered well due to complications or delays in replacement with an artificial item.

As we get older, hip fracture is a an ever-greater possibility for we cyclists. We get brittle, so crack when once we would have bounced. I suspect there is a far greater case for hip protection devices than there is for head protection devices, in cycling.

I'm trying to think of a cyclist I know who has fallen off and suffered a serious head injury. I can't think of one. I can immediately think of seven who've cracked their hip due to a fall from a bike.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

FWIW, the closed-cell foam pad solution gave me some piece of mind for a couple of months, but it was hot and a bit uncomfortable, so I ditched it after a couple of months.

The long-term solution has been "don't fall off".
Brock92

Post by Brock92 »

Had hip replacement last September. Unfortunately had crash yesterday after coming across oil spillage on road. Fracture to femur and stem part of hip replacement will have to be redone.
Will be looking for some sort of hip protection when I return to cycling. I reckon my surgeon will tell me to retire. I'm only 43.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brock92 wrote:Will be looking for some sort of hip protection when I return to cycling. I reckon my surgeon will tell me to retire. I'm only 43.

I suspect that's not as likely as you think (benefits of exercise probably outweigh the risk of another fall unless you're a serial crash-tester), but if he does, then I'd ask if a recumbent tricycle would be OK.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brock92

Post by Brock92 »

Hope your right. That was my first crash and I hope it's my last.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my COR-L29 using hovercraft full of eels.
Brock92

Post by Brock92 »

Would get some strange looks cycling around on thisImage

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my COR-L29 using hovercraft full of eels.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brock92 wrote:Would get some strange looks cycling around on thisImage

I'm not sure you would. I have cycled with a man riding the fastest tricycle in the UK (I think he lent it to a time trialist) and don't remember anyone taking strange looks. A regular recumbent or cargo bike seems to get more attention, based on who I've ridden with, and even that's not so much.

Anyway, good luck!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Tricyclists are not perhaps as common as they were in UK club cycling, but the Tricycle Association is still going strong.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Eek! I had a hip replacement in October, and this is the scenario I don't allow myself to think about...
Re reading what I wrote all those years ago, I still think a three wheeler of some sort would be a logical choice, but although I was attracted by recumbents at the time I think my current choice could well be some sort of three wheel cargo bike, mainly for the higher eyeline.
It would probably attract attention, but then you would be doing your bit to save the planet rather than just "obstructing traffic"
And with careful choices you need never run out of icecream again :mrgreen:
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!