How safe is cycling?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Carlp

Re: How safe is cycling?

Post by Carlp »

100% of all cyclists die. Fact.
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

What's great is everyone is obviosuly keen to get this guy back on the road. Well done CTC forum members, even you Carlp :wink:
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I get my new bike on Saturday, I live in Chester-le-Street, probably about 10 minutes ride away from open countryside, so not so bad there. I won't be riding in central London, or any big city for that matter, I won't be riding at night and I won't be riding when it's icy. I suspect that improves my chances somewhat :)
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Mark1978 wrote: I suspect that improves my chances somewhat

With us or SWMBO? :wink:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
hamster

Post by hamster »

The British Medical Association (the doctors' club :wink: ) came out with a very emphatic statement that overall the benefits form exercise outweigh the risks from injury.
Per km travelled, cycling is safer than walking! The source is the DfT.
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Safer than not cycling. The last research stats I saw suggested 20 times safer than not cycling.

Probably the best answer but if you are looking for comparative risk to other forms of transport the answer as usual is "it depends".

The DfT will be able to provide KSI’s per 1000 000 km travelled which you could use as a basis of comparison but this would be general figure and the risk to you personally would depend on your competence as a cyclist.

What the data does not make clear is what percentage of cycle casualties is made up of "high risk" cyclists & I'm not sure how accurately this can be inferred from the Stats 19 forms.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Geriatrix wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Safer than not cycling. The last research stats I saw suggested 20 times safer than not cycling.

Probably the best answer but if you are looking for comparative risk to other forms of transport the answer as usual is "it depends".

The DfT will be able to provide KSI’s per 1000 000 km travelled which you could use as a basis of comparison but this would be general figure and the risk to you personally would depend on your competence as a cyclist.

What the data does not make clear is what percentage of cycle casualties is made up of "high risk" cyclists & I'm not sure how accurately this can be inferred from the Stats 19 forms.

Yes it's quite hard to isolate all the variables - particularly with the practically insignificant number of incidents.

However statistical research is about all we can do - so we have to do a handwaving "trained, experienced cyclists are likely to be taking fewer risks, and will spot risks earlier" and say that we are likely to better off than the "average". Of course the average will catch up with us if we manage to get lots more people on bikes and it becomes normal.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

Hmm .. I don't usually consider how safe cycling is (or otherwise). At my age, being a couple of weeks short of 67 years, just living is dangerous ! Appparently, being male, I have an approximately 1 in 42 chance of dying in the coming 12 months from all causes (1 in 65 for female). I doubt adding a bit of cycling will make that figure much worse.
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

But what does this mean? A comparison of median life expectancy of cyclist and non-cyclists might be useful, or if you are just concerned about the chance of death whilst participating, a comparison with other dangerous activities such as sleeping in bed, or having a bit of tiffin might be useful.
Carlp

Post by Carlp »

Dynamite_funk wrote:What's great is everyone is obviosuly keen to get this guy back on the road. Well done CTC forum members, even you Carlp :wink:

Oh :oops: you know!I like to think I do my bit to contribute?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd only been back from police training centre a few weeks when I had a duty at an evening match at Elland Road v. Man.U.

There was generally a lot of crowd trouble at those fixtures, but that night the problem was really thick fog. We were late finishing because of serious traffic problems (no M62 in 1967) and I missed the last bus home. In spite of getting a lift for the last couple of miles from "Humpy" Benson - a friendly superintendent, which was a rarity in those days - I didn't get home till after midnight when my ETA was 1030pm. We'd only been married a few months and my wife was distraught: she'd got me knifed in the crowd or kicked to death by soccer hooligans.

I discovered only much more recently - after forty-odd years of marriage - that she gets similar fears when I'm out cycling, especially if I'm a bit late home.

How you resolve these fears which are statistically irrational but very real, I don't know. At least, communications have improved dramatically over the last few decades - we'd been married several years before we could afford a phone. When you are out, keep in touch if you are delayed.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 24 Jul 2012, 1:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

That's been my problem I like tiffin too much Image
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

thirdcrank wrote:I'd only been back from police training centre a few weeks when I had a duty at an evening match at Elland Road v. Man.U.

There was generally a lot of crowd trouble at those fixtures, but that night the problem was really thick fog. We were late finishing because of serious traffic problems (no M62 in 1967) and I missed the last bus home. In spite of getting a lift for the last couple of miles from "Humpy" Benson - a friendly superintendent, which was a rarity in those days - I didn't get home till after midnight when my ETA was 1030pm. We'd only been married a few months and my wife was distraught: she'd got me knifed in the crowd or kicked to death by soccer hooligans.

I discovered only much more recently - after forty-odd years of marriage - that she gets similar fears when I'm out cycling, especially if I'm a bit late home.

How you resolve these fears which are statistically irrational but very real, I don't know. At least, communications have improved dramatically over the last few decades - we'd been married several years before we could afford a phone. When you are out, keep in touch if you are delayed.

I'm planning to track my rides using Endomondo which gives you almost real time location. So that could be useful. Although getting her to sign up for things such as that is often the biggest task in itself...
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Mark1978 wrote: which gives you almost real time location. So that could be useful.

Have you been married very long? :twisted:
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

hexhome wrote:
Mark1978 wrote: which gives you almost real time location. So that could be useful.

Have you been married very long? :twisted:

lol. Year and a half ;).