how many liter bag for 10 days trip?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
serbring

how many liter bag for 10 days trip?

Post by serbring »

Hi all,

I'm having my first tour in two weeks, 10 days long. How many liters bag should I have for it? Till now I have 40liters with the ortlieb back roller, I wanna buy this http://abus.de/us/main.asp?ScreenLang=us&sid=946621120123201020820121372043043&select=0104d08&artikel=4003318516016 and I have in mind to connect a 15l rucksack through strings on the rack. Is it enough?

thanks
pete75

Re: how many liter bag for 10 days trip?

Post by pete75 »

Are you camping, staying in hotels? Do you want to dress smartly in the evenings? Wear fresh underwear everyday ? etc etc.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
uphillbothways

Post by uphillbothways »

pete75 wrote:Are you camping, staying in hotels? Do you want to dress smartly in the evenings? Wear fresh underwear everyday ? etc etc.

That. It's something you have to work out for yourself. Some people tour indefinitely with just a big saddlebag, others carry 80l of kit for a weekend away. Figure out what you want to carry, then find bags to fit it.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

To give you a clue, try thinking about it in terms of rucksacs - 25 litres is what they call a Day Sac, 40 litres will do you for a week-end, 50-55 if its' winter, 70 litres + are for back-backing and 80 and up for expeditions...
we cyclists have the edge over walkers, thoguh, 'cos its the cycle that bears the weight of it all :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
serbring

Post by serbring »

pete75 wrote:Are you camping, staying in hotels? Do you want to dress smartly in the evenings? Wear fresh underwear everyday ? etc etc.

I'm gonna stay in hostel. I'm gonna carry: 1pair of pants, 1 shirt, 1 jeans, normal shoes, sandals, towel, underwear, socks, clipless shoes, two tshirts, beach towel, bathing suite. Is it enough for a one week trip?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Ditch 1 pr shoes, and only take sandals for evening wear, I assume the clipless shoes are those you will cycling in so do not need to be packed.
Ditch towel, take larger beach towel, if you must, this will double as after shower towel.
Spare pr cycling shorts and cycle top? So you can rinse thru 1 set every day?

Never count in litres.... will it fit in my small front panniers... then it is enough.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

serbring wrote:...

I'm gonna stay in hostel. I'm gonna carry: 1pair of pants, 1 shirt, 1 jeans, normal shoes, sandals, towel, underwear, socks, clipless shoes, two tshirts, beach towel, bathing suite. Is it enough for a one week trip?

Should be able to get all that in one small pannier.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
serbring

Post by serbring »

eileithyia wrote:Ditch 1 pr shoes, and only take sandals for evening wear, I assume the clipless shoes are those you will cycling in so do not need to be packed.
Ditch towel, take larger beach towel, if you must, this will double as after shower towel.
Spare pr cycling shorts and cycle top? So you can rinse thru 1 set every day?

Never count in litres.... will it fit in my small front panniers... then it is enough.

thanks for your suggestions...they will be really useful!
meic

Post by meic »

I can not help but suspect that there will be a whole host of other things that you realise you want to take in addition to that list at the last moment.

Waterproofs, wallet, hat, sunglasses, gloves, phone, puncture kit, maps etc etc adding up to extra space needed.

Still a nice large saddlebag could carry enough though they bring complications of needing loops on the saddle or extra frames.

My hostel touring load is around 20 litres.
Yma o Hyd